Presently battering the islands of the Caribbean, Irma remains a category 5 hurricane. Poised to land in the US this weekend, it is most likely that Florida will be impacted, turns or no.
I have stocked up on canned and dry items, water and supplies. Water and canned goods were scarce today and yesterday, so much so that friends brought over two flats of bottled water because I had none. Told this morning that my condominium board said no to boarding up windows, my present contractor said he would do nothing for fear of being sued. The facilities manager who is himself a contractor as well as a resident, has been speaking to board members about this decision in an attempt to reverse it should conditions warrant boarding. Tape will do little. At this point, I will be looking for sand bags to place around doors. I have borrowed some from two friends who are not yet convinced that this storm will be serious.
Since it is larger than Andrew, the 1992 storm that ravaged Homestead and Miami, I do not agree. I've found a pet-friendly shelter and spoken with an acquaintance who told me to call if my area is evacuated. My contractor did agree to purchase an air mattress that I will place in the bathroom shower to sleep on. Jacob will be in there with me. As there are no windows in that room, it may be the safest in my flat. Were I still driving, I'd have pack up and left the State, fur baby in tow.
Until Next Time...
9 comments:
Hoping that you will be safe. Please keep us posted.
OMG E, that is so frightening, makes all my troubles seem dim and manageable. I am so glad you have prepared as best you can though I wish you could batten down those windows a little better. The weather has gone apeshit. Stay safe my friend, I'll be thinking of you.
Hugs.
XO
WWW
I really, really hope that Irma fails to live up to her potential. Holding you and Jacob in my heart. Stay safe - and pleasue update us when you can.
Hugs.
Have you checked into what organizations might be helping people who need it for evacuation? Sounds like you've prepared for everything else best you can. Good luck.
Thinking of you and hoping that you and Jacob will ride out the storm safely. Hugs from here, too.
Hopefully the storm's center will be far enough away from you (Atlantic coast or even farther east) that you won't have direct impact, which will help lessen the effects. But I don't blame you for being cautious! It's a scary one. I'm glad you were able to get water and canned goods.
Sounds so frightening. I hope that you and your fur baby will be safe! Please keep us posted if and when you can.
Oh, e, please be safe. Thinking of you.
Thinking of you and glad you were able to stock up a bit. Stay safe. Love and hugs!
Post a Comment