Thursday, June 29, 2017

Still Under Renovation...

The electrical work is coming to a close, the doorway has been expanded, the old flooring has been removed. Plumbing is on the horizon but should go much more quickly. When we get to the stage for putting in new wall board, I'll be positively giddy.

There are paint colors under consideration, though I am leaning toward a nice bright white to lighten things up. The tile for the floor has been found and will not break the budget at $2.00 per square foot as both the kitchen and entry are tiny. The kitchen is 8x8 feet. The entry and hall are quite short, but should look nice when all is said and done. The counters will be a granite tile with the smallest grout line possible rather than a slab of stone since I'm on a budget and the cabinets are a step up from what I had.

The wires in my old kitchen light were brittle and broken once it was removed, so I'll be sourcing another. My contractor purchased a small overhead light for his garage but put it in here temporarily so that I would have light in the kitchen.

While the inches gained from the door expansion have me over the moon, aside from the physical alterations there has been a change in routine that has opened my eyes. The contractor appears at nine and most days works through to four or five. This means that I must be up by seven to take care of the cat, dress, feed both of us and tidy the bits that I can prior to his arrival. Both the cat and I have had earlier nights with no blogs, phone calls, visitors or other distractions and outings only for food and household necessities. We've been going to bed early and enjoying the quiet once the contractor departs. I have shifted my yoga and meditation to evening and have noticed a change in sleep pattern. I still often wake at 4 AM but find it easier to return to some semblance of slumber.

The downside here is the diet of frozen and microwave-only food upon which I must rely for another two weeks or so. Yesterday, after my stomach registered its discontent, I found myself in the neighborhood Target staring at photos on the boxes of frozen foods and trying to determine which had the most vegetables, the greenest broccoli or the best variety. I then bought a large salad from a nearby restaurant and ate it for breakfast this morning.

If any of you have any tips on getting through renovations successfully, feel free to comment. At this point, I'm game for almost anything.

Happy weekend!

17 comments:

tut-tut said...

Do you have a toaster oven or recourse to one? that works much better than a microwave.

Elephant's Child said...

Your contractor sounds like a gem. Installing an overhead light for you, even temporarily is a wonderful gesture.
I am really pleased to hear that you are sleeping better. Yoga and meditation in the evening from now on?
No tips, other than feel no guilt if you buy salads (or anything else you fancy) until the chaos settles.
Hugs.

Anonymous said...

A good contractor is fantastic! Renovations are difficult and quite disruptive. I know you'll be thrilled when this is all over. And your place will look great!

jenny_o said...

I believe you are restricted not only to food you can microwave but also containers you don't need to wash, is that correct? If so, then I second EC in saying do what you have to do until you have access to a sink again. There is definitely a range of quality among frozen meals, too, but you've probably spent enough time looking to know that. Supermarket salads here are not too pricey. Deli chicken from the supermarket is already cooked and can be eaten with fingers and napkin. Or perhaps you are vegetarian? If so, it will be a little harder to find something, although our grocery has recently started carrying vegetarian salads made with quinoa, chickpeas, and the like. If I lived near you I would bring you meals to break the monotony. It's what my mother does; it's what I do. We feel a need to be useful!

I'm glad to hear your sleep is improving somewhat. I know I would be better off if I had a different sleep pattern too. I am too late to bed, too late to rise. I will clearly never be healthy, wealthy OR wise ...

Live and Learn said...

Earplugs? The sound of the power tools and pounding can really wear on you. Good luck.

Steve Reed said...

Hang in there, E! At least the adjustment in your sleep patterns seems to have been helpful. Maybe there's a lesson to be learned there, something you can carry over when the contractor departs?

37paddington said...

Its sounds as if you have a diligent contractor, and that is everything. I can hardly wait to see your big reveal. Maybe you can go out for lunch in the days, to get away from the noise, and get in some greens and veggies then?

the fly in the web said...

Potatoes cooked inthe microwave with whatever filling you can find when shopping. Comforting things when life is disrupted.
Your change of pattern is interesting: Leo having broken his leg tires easily so needs an early night. I have shoved all the evening necessaries to the morning, been brutal with visitors and we are both sleeping better.

Linda said...

It sounds like you have a great contractor! And this is always nice.

e said...

Nope!

e said...

Thanks. Salads, stuffed potatoes, empanadas and more salads!

e said...

I'm looking forward and trying to pick paint, tile, etc...have a good week!

e said...

You're right, no sink...I love your suggestions though. Thanks!

e said...

I need those for the bottle rockets going off next door!

e said...

Not without advanced planning and I prefer to be home when he is there...It probably won't be as big a reveal as you're thinking as this kitchen is the size of a closet, but I will post photos. Right now, the walls are open and plumbing exposed for work. Electrical is done.

e said...

Glad to hear about better sleep. That is always important. You're right about disruption and comfort. Best to you both.

e said...

Things have been disrupted but I am looking forward to the finish!