Tuesday, June 20, 2017

My Electricals: What's Hot and What's Not...

        


Today is the second day of my small kitchen renovation. All of the appliances are gone as are the cabinets except the sink which will be gone in the morning. The walls are being opened and so far, we've found an illegal junction box and figured out the grounding situation for all of the outlets. More electrical and plumbing to follow.

While Jacob doesn't care for his confinement to the bedroom, he is coping admirably and does not seem unduly stressed by the temporary mess as long as I am within reach. At work's end, I let him out to look around and after a cursory stroll, he goes back to his sherpa mat or spends time on my lap.

I offered my young neighbors the cabinets which though eighteen now are still usable. However, since uppers aren't needed and have not been used in years, those were in the best shape and they seem happy to have them. I'm glad the cabinetry is getting a second life rather than ending up at the dump.

As of yet, I've made no decisions regarding flooring or paint and find these things  ridiculously overwhelming. I did save the knobs from the old cabinets and will keep the same light fixture.

Things are not as chaotic as I thought they might be because my contractor actually cleans up after himself and tomorrow will have the help and company of his son. For now, the cat and I plan an early night.
Best wishes for a safe week. 

    

  

9 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

I am so glad that the chaos and disruption are less than you feared. I hope you and Jacob have a wonderful week, and can revel in your new space soon.
And hooray for saving cabinetry from the dump.

jenny_o said...

It's sounding good so far (knocks on wood, not wanting to jinx anything ...) I'm glad Jacob is not overly disturbed and that your contractor is cleaning up each day - that is a wonderful and probably unanticipated bonus. And like EC, I say hooray for recycling the cabinets! I'm always happy to hear of people who give used items a new chance - both the donor and the recipient. Keep on trucking, e.

alphabet soup said...

Good luck with your renovations. It's all a bit of a trial while it is happening but the result should be worth all the drama.

Ms Soup

Steve Reed said...

I'm glad things are going smoothly so far!

Secret Agent Woman said...

It's' going to be great. I found illegal wiring when I remodeled my kitchen, too.

A Cuban In London said...

Great that the contractor cleans after himself. :-) Less to tidy up after.

Greetings from London.

Wisewebwoman said...

Ah the chaos of the Reno. I've lived thru a few tho in better health and more optimism.You and Jacob are remarkably calm. A good tidy contractor is a bonus.

I hope it doesn't take too long more and you can reclaim your peace with a more functional kitchen.

Best of luck!

XO
WWW

Linda said...

Renovations can be long and tedious, and I hope that your reno is not too long or frustrating, and that you love the end result!

HBF said...

It'll be done before ya know it! Paint can be overwhelming. I suppose you could always take a survey here ;o) Best of luck! Hugs :o)