Saturday, June 3, 2017

First World Problems...

I've had an interesting week immersing myself in all things appliance online. After a wonderful wedding Saturday evening and a nice visit with a good friend and her father at his retirement home on Sunday, my washing machine died.

I suppose after eighteen years, that is to be anticipated. However, as I was soon to learn, navigating the world of home appliances, especially in today's market in which things are farmed out to low wage workers so that corporations can reap big profits, can be daunting. Fortunately, research is my middle name. While awaiting a repair person who could not come until Thursday, I scoured consumer websites and customer reviews, spoke to sales people, asked questions of manufacturers and then had a chat with a lovely appliance repair person.

My original washer and dryer, produced under the name Maytag, are stacked, and unlike the units one buys today which sit on a pedestal, are not meant to be used unstacked. They are what is called a laundry center and fewer of these are being produced. Maytag now belongs to Whirlpool and is made in Korea. Additionally, my particular unit is no longer made at all, so replacing it wasn't as straight forward as I had hoped.

The American marketplace is rife with rubbish if the problems noted by customers are to be believed, and the smaller size I was hoping to buy would not handle items like blankets, quilts or bedspreads and since it is impractical for me to hot foot it to the nearest laundromat, full size was my only option unless I wanted to do hours of washing.

With this in mind, I looked at some slightly better reviewed European models only to discover that most of those made for apartment dwellers are unvented and come with their own set of problems not to mention bloated price tags.

My repair person who has been doing appliance repair for ten years for a reputable company in this area looked at my machine and said he could fix it but could not guarantee that further problems would not occur due to age. He suggested I venture forth and get a new one, along with an extended warranty, further adding information with which I had become familiar. The lifespan of a washer and dryer is not what it was decades ago. Indeed, the average machine now lasts six to eight years, ten if one is fortunate.

Research led me to Speed Queen, a U.S. company well known for its commercial laundry machines. They produce a stacked unit with the best warranty I could find and reviews from happy customers. With the help of a friend and my builder in tow, I purchased one this morning. This will go into a newly renovated kitchen, which though quite small, presents challenges to me as a wheelchair user which I hope to alleviate once and for all.

Hardly a frugal day but I hope a successful one.

19 comments:

jenny_o said...

Ouch - but it sounds like you've done your homework and selected a reliable and sturdy replacement that will serve you well. It's great to have the internet for finding customer reviews - very helpful. I dread the day our refrigerator bites the dust. It has been so faithful, and our repair guy said to hold onto it as long as it works - they don't make 'em like that anymore (it's now 37 years old; new fridges are built to last about 10 years, we are told).

Elephant's Child said...

Finally, perservering let me in.
I do love that the internet lets us research those big purchases and hate, loathe and despise the planned obselescence which breaks our white goods so much earlier. Many of them are not repairable either now.
Good luck.

Birdie said...

When we bought our house it had a brand new stainless steel fridge. I loathe stainless steel. It broke after 6 years so we replaced it with an older second hand one that was $250.00. It is working fine. But yes, appliances do not last. No pride in workmanship. Buy, break, repeat.

alphabet soup said...

You've put a lot of effort into your research - I hope it pays off and your choice of machine is the right one.

Ms Soup

Anonymous said...

It's become a disposable society. Once upon a time appliances were made with pride, bought with confidence and used for many years. When my mother's 37 year old fridge finally died, she replaced it with a brand new one that presented problems in less than a year. They don't make them like they used to!

I hope your purchase, especially after all your research, proves to be a good product!

Steve Reed said...

Yikes. But I suppose a newly accessible (or more accessible) kitchen will be worth it! It's disgraceful how short the life span of modern appliances is.

37paddington said...

There is such satisfaction in doing your research and then choosing well. Kudos.

Rebecca yourig said...

Did you replace dryer too? Machines were stacked on top of each other? I replaced a very old Maytag with another Maytag used, and hope to get at least five years out of it. For the fifty bucks and another $50 for delivery and set up expended, I may get close to the current life expectancy. Old washer still going strong 20 years and then some. The old Maytag dryer was over 30 when an expensive part went on it.

Need dishwasher and fridge now. All plastic pieces so inside of fridge looks terrible with broken and cracked shelves. High end dishwasher never worked well. Will buy new with them. But nervous. Not going high end. Both items less than 12 years old. Dishwasher less than 10.

What is capacity of this stacked washer? I want stacked but I do large loads. The old washer I now have does have a small basket for small loads and can adjust water volume. Not a feature I often see.

You did good. Thumbs up!

e said...

More like six to eight years on the refrigerator. My Hot Point is eighteen. The new one? I'm not taking odds on that. First time ever I dread new appliances! I hope you're having a good week, your latest post brought tears to my eyes.

e said...

Too true...

e said...

All designed around continued profits...

e said...

Thank you!

e said...

Alas, those days are no more. Good luck with your continuing home improvement.

e said...

Yikes is right, on all counts!

e said...

I hope so! Thanks.

e said...

My stackable is full size which can handle large loads, reason I bought it. Thanks for your comments and good luck replacing your dishwasher and refrigerator.

Wisewebwoman said...

Very stressful when appliances fail. My fingers are crossed that none of mine drop dead before my house sells. I too have stackables. And everything hovers at 8-10 years.

You did well on research. Those great old appliances kicked along for 2 generations and more.

We are a planet of disposables now.

XO
WWW

Live and Learn said...

We moved into a house with older appliances that could go at any minute. Just hope they don't all go at once.

Lydia said...

I felt I neeeded to visit you early thid morning and am so glad to find a recent post (something you still will not find at my blog....I'll try to do better).
Your appliance saga scares me! I have had the same Kenmore washer and dryer since 1993, with the washer having been repaired once by a lovely man who has serviced this area for over 25 years. In reading what your research showed, I realize how lucky I am to still have them working for me. A year ago the aged dishwasher and stove both went kapooey in the same month. It was daunting deciding upon their replacements (Bosch dishwasher, Samsung gas range).

People don't realize how stressful and expensive it is to have to repair and/or replace appliances until the problem hits home! I'm glad you found what sound like excellent machines. May they serve you long and well!