Monday, May 29, 2017

Joy...

 

"And now, by the power vested in me by the Constitution of the United States of America and reluctantly by the State of Florida, I now pronounce you married."

So intoned the longtime Reverend of two dear friends at their Saturday evening wedding ceremony, thus sending two men into a new chapter of their lives amid the cheers and tears of family and friends.

It was a day I really never thought I would see given that we live in South, a region known more for its Bible Belt and profound history of racism than the embracing inclusivity and social reform. I was reminded, however, that even in the darkest of times, humans have the capacity for deep and abiding joy, the essence of which draws us together in hope, transforming lives.

Joy was certainly in the forefront as I entered the wedding venue to the strains of "Somewhere Over the Rainbow." This was followed by the refrain from the fifties hit, "Going to the Chapel," and the entrance of both grooms dressed in matching ensembles, complete with rainbow ties.

The prayers, remarks and vows and the benediction lent solemnity to this happy occasion, reminding all of us that while a wedding is an event, marriage carries with it obligation, responsibility and the need for communication, patience, compromise and at times, forbearance. All of this is familiar to both grooms by virtue of life experience, the gift of years and family stability.

Dinner and dancing followed and as the the evening lengthened, your truly worked up a bit of a sweat on the dance floor to the accompaniment of everyone from grannies to teens and babes in arms.

A beautiful time and a wish for continued and abundant happiness.

17 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

How absolutely wonderful.
I really, really hope that my country can follow suit. The conservative politicians seem to be the sticking point. Sigh. And hiss and spit.

Birdie said...

They wore rainbow ties? LOVE it! All the best that life has to offer to both of them. 🌈

Wisewebwoman said...

Understand your previous post. Recoup and recharge time. I need more time for me than I ever did.

The wedding sounds like a wonder of gratitude and celebration.

I'm so glad you enjoyed!

XO
WWW

jenny_o said...

Sounds wonderful. Glad to hear you were able to go and enjoy. All the best to your newly married friends.

Steve Reed said...

Woo hoo! Congrats to the happy couple! (Do I know them?!)

Anonymous said...

Rainbow ties! How cute. I love it. It sounds like a great time was had by everyone. I wish the newlyweds many years of good health, happiness and love.

e said...

They are everywhere...

e said...

I really did, especially after the crowd thinned and people were dancing!

e said...

You have one mutual friend that I know of...

e said...

Thanks...their socks matched the ties, too!

37paddington said...

It sounds wonderful!

The Happy Whisk said...

Rainbow ties. Super duper fun.

e said...

It was, and couldn't we all have a little more wonderful in our lives...

e said...

You would have loved the music, dancing, conversation...good time!

A Cuban In London said...

Beautiful post. It is good to celebrate humanity at moments like this. :-) Thanks.

Greetings from London.

Lydia said...

Marvelous!

The bike shed said...

It is good that attitudes have changed - here in the UK too. We should not judge the past by the standards of the present, but neither should we excuse outdated prejudice.