Sunday, April 30, 2017

Reflections....

 

Sadly, this is a poor photo of my regional library. After receiving an e-mail advising that my card was due to expire, I made a brief stop there during my Saturday errands to renew it. This took but a few minutes during which I was reminded just how pleasant it can be to work in or visit a library regardless of type. These days, I interact with the public library system in my community from either a home computer or a Kindle, and that is simply not as gratifying to me though it does save time, travel and money.

There was a point in my life when I was prepared to move across the country for a library         job and the possibility of entering a doctoral program. At fifty, I erroneously assumed I still had a lot of time in the workforce. Medical issues and a loss of the use of a leg put paid to those ideas and I spent the next few years learning life from a chair and re-organizing both my apartment and personal and professional priorities.

 Along the way, I also lost friends and loved ones to accidents, old age, illnesses and tragedies. This also re-configured the world and it was not at all as I had known it. Some shifts are small, others seismic. While I cannot claim any great epiphanies, I do feel and often react very differently now as a result of these experiences.

I seek a simpler life with fewer complications and human relationships, and that,
unfortunately, is not fully realized because as all but the most obtuse among us grasp, life remains complicated no matter how much we simplify. Though I have reduced possessions, rid myself of clutter and items no longer used or desired, routed out two individuals who were duplicitous, streamlined financial and other obligations and work at being frugal, my routines often reflect the medical needs of the last of four cats and my increasing desire for rest and privacy in the face of yet another looming loss.

Until Next Time...


25 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

I too hope for a simpler, gentler life.
Hugs.

Birdie said...

I have to be Mindful every single day, even in individual moments, to simplify. It's never enough but I go cliient's homes that are surrounded in clutter, physical and emotional. Getting rid of what you can is so necessary. For me, it's a work in progress.
Great post. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Libraries pull at my heartstrings. They bring back memories of my visits to them when I was a little girl. It was my favourite place to be. I was always in awe of all the books available to me. I used to go home with a whole bunch and devour them in no time!

Ah, the simple life. That is exactly what my husband and I are trying to do right now in our new place. I want less stuff and even less complications!

Jenny Woolf said...

I think I've reached a stage in my life where my love of or at least tolerance of clutter is beginning to wilt under the sheer weight of the clutter! I've been getting rid too.

Wisewebwoman said...

Preach! I hear you. The rites of passage through minimalism whether forced or choice. I too struggle but much of it is clean and peaceful.

I miss my beloved Ansa deeply. Daily.

With you in spirit dear friend.

XO
WWW

the fly in the web said...

I went to the local library when visiting my mother...it was like a homecoming.
I owe so much to the librarians who took time to guide my reading when I was a child.
Leo's state of health has changed the way in which we live quite drastically....so we have to make the most of the life we have.

e said...

Hugs back to you and I hope you achieve that goal!

e said...

Less complication, less noise, more time to visit the library...sounds like a plan. I was the same way about visiting the library as a kid never knowing I'd become a librarian...

e said...

Good, I hope you're successful in making a dent!

e said...

Our pets certainly borrow into our hearts and minds, don't they? Continued good luck with your transition and hugs!

e said...

oops meant burrow...

e said...

I can so relate to both your feelings about librarians in childhood and changes in living...Best to you and Leo. There is nothing like the escape hatch of a good book!

Steve Reed said...

Simplicity is a good thing, but some attachments actually enrich life -- like your cats! Enjoy each day, E!

A Cuban In London said...

After a serious of "events" this year, I have come to realise that I am more of a "simple life" type of person. And I feel better for acknowledging that.

Greetings from London.

The Happy Whisk said...

Here is to simple.

jenny_o said...

Sometimes it feels like I am fighting a losing battle with "stuff", especially as I'm also fighting a losing battle with "time" ... ah well, giving up is not an option either. We do what we can.

37paddington said...

Simplicity is a worthy goal. I am trying for more of it myself.
.

Shaheen said...

I do like my library and have been a member for a long time, i have recently joined another. They have been good for cookbooks that I do not wish to buy. Hub of much activity, but there is change there too.

I understand your desire your simpler things, it is my long term goal too.

Live and Learn said...

I'm not a librarian, but I've worked in my community library for 10 years. (In my other life, I was a geologist.) I too have fond memories from the library and librarians of my childhood. I hope we are creating similar memories for the children today.

Linda said...

Great post. I hate clutter and don't like to have too many "things", so I prefer a simpler life. I do my best to live in the moment. Thanks so much for sharing.

Jenny Woolf said...

Well, at least I'm doing my best! :)

Secret Agent Woman said...

Life is complicated, no matter what. You do what you can to simplify, and then hope that helps when the complications roll in.

Yorkshire Pudding said...

The simpler we make our lives the greater the possibility of happiness and contentment. At least that is my feeling about this blogpost but perhaps there are people who relish complexity and fill their circumstances to the brim. Needless to say I am not one of them.

Wisewebwoman said...

E I am concerned as it's been a while. How are you and Jacob?

XO
WWW

jenny_o said...

I dropped by to ask the same thing as Wisewebwoman. I hope all is well.