It is 5:30 AM and while the rest of the world slowly emerges from slumber, I watch as my elderly cat enjoys his dreams. The heat is on in our cosy space until the sun rises. At the moment, it is a balmy 45 degrees and windy. Because I have poor insulation and single-pane windows circa 1974, it is often chillier in the bedroom, the one part of the flat in which I seem to spend the most time these days. I've tried the thrifty trick of placing plastic sheeting over the windows but that was not successful. I'll be pricing new windows soon.
As I headed out to do the weekly shop and other errands last evening, the drop in temperature was obvious and left me desirous of a hoodie, which try as I might, I could not find at either of two local discounters in my area. My next stop is the local Goodwill. If that doesn't work, I'm calling a wonderful friend who lives in a much colder climate and asking her to locate one during her thrifting and send it to me. I should have known better than to leave my place in only a tee and some jeans because, after all the ins and outs involved with assorted errands, I was cold. As a menopausal person, that doesn't happen often these days and the wind made it worse. I also notice that, at my time of life, I seem particularly sensitive to variances in temperature, noise levels, crowds, constant talking and now, barking.
I awoke with a start the other day just as the dog upstairs reached a crescendo in her canine tirade and a neighbor in the next building over was heard to shout, "Knock it off!" My windows and doors were completely closed as this transpired and I cannot tell you how annoyed I was to have been subjected to that, and hardly for the first time. At least I am not alone in my frustration. The dog is either anxious over her owner not being home, cold, in need of a walk to relieve herself or perhaps some medication to calm her. She is trying desperately to communicate something, and no-one is obliged to help but the owner who does nothing. If I hear her, the other dwellers must also unless they are not at home.
Our board would say this is something to deal with the dog's owner about but I think the landlord should be apprised of the situation since the tenant will not deal with it.
Ironically, I am attempting to finish the book, Quiet, by Susan Cain. When I should be sleeping, I lie awake, often watching renovation programs. Why I've developed this particular penchant probably has more to do with their episodic and highly formulaic nature than anything I might glean from them. I've not seen anyone who uses a wheelchair or any other mobility device appear which tells me they're all flash and no substance and only help those who have attained either large debt vis a vis a mortgage or a large degree of affluence. I wish builders were forced to work building housing for minorities, including persons with disabilities, or volunteering with Habitat for the first two years of their licensure. That might put a small dent in housing shortages and lack of modified housing for people that need it. Unfortunately, the onus for modification falls upon the individual requiring it, and retrofitting or modifying is expensive. The other caveat is finding a builder who is both qualified and interested in doing the work.
What do you do when you can't sleep?
18 comments:
I am blessed with great sleep, E. I can usually attribute sleeplessness to Kate coffees or a long earlier nap.
When it does happen I get up and wander, knowing g I can catch a 40 winker later as my time is my own.
With the coming tsunami of challenges baby boomers there should be an upsurge in wheelchair friendly housing.
I know I was staggered when I saw my new bathroom in the independent senior living complex I'm moving to. Fabulous and enormous.
XO
WWW
Your condo board should write a letter to the unit owner about that tenant's dog. There should be some official notification -- it shouldn't be up to you to solve the problem. It sounds like the dog is unhappy and/or suffering -- hence all the barking!
I was fascinated to read your last paragraph here. I hadn't really thought that deeply about it before, but you're so right about the formulaic nature of the shows, and the lack of true service given.
Also, do you ever shop online? When I can't find something in the store I have it sent directly to my door. I'd be happy to suggest thrifty hoodie shopping sites if you'd like.
I read when I can't sleep. Or do the ironing - which I loathe. If I get it done it is a win, if I decide the mere thought of it is tiring and go back to bed it is also a win.
Having had a bathroom modified I agree that it is expensive. And difficult to find people with the interest/knowledge/skills required. Love my bathroom now though.
Sorry about that dog owner. That is really annoying. And you are right, that poor animal is trying to communicate something.
I watch those home reno shows sometimes and I find them very unrealistic. They aren't for your ordinary person. Just the price tag alone and the hefty renovations is way out of league for the majority of people.
I started meditating prior to my marathon run last year. Amazing how the mind and body work. Even in a horizontal position my feet were twitching, "thinking" they were still running. Nowadays I meditate (in my own way) three or four times a week and that helps me sleep better.
Greetings from London.
I get up and sit in the lounge and read and sometimes write, until I start to yawn and feel tired. Now I might add ironing to the list, after reading Elephant's Child comment.
Ms Soup
You are very fortunate to live where you do.
Yes, I'm aware of that since I previously served on HOA board but whether this board will do anything remains to be seen.
Thank you. That would be appreciated. My friend is going to look at some thrift stores in her area of Michigan since they have more winter wear there.
Having one's bathroom modified makes all the difference. More function and safety. My mother tried to teach me to iron and the garments ended up with wrinkles ironed in...
I love meditating but need quiet in which to do it, Sadly, that seems at a premium these days. Best to you.
I am lucky to mostly be able to fall asleep quickly. But that's mostly because I am generally sleep-deprived from burning the candle at both ends. The odd time that sleep is eluding me, I think about crafts I would like to make. That is my happy place. And it usually works.
You do what I do, minus the ironing. I also entertain my cat. He undoubtedly wonders why his human is up so often...
I sometimes wonder if they're entirely fake...
Lucky woman!
If I can't sleep I do something else, get up and read or sit in the living room in the recliner and listen to the sounds of nature on CDs or very soft music. When I feel tired enough I go back to bed.
I will try some music. Thanks for the idea. Hugs!
Post a Comment