Monday, December 5, 2016

Life at the Cat Hospital...

Jacob has not been eating or drinking normally, has gone off his dry food and because this seemed more than the mourning behavior attributed to him following Phoebe's death, he had his first ever ride in a taxi this afternoon as we went to see his vet. He will remain overnight for some hydration, medication and other things as we await the results of blood work.

The flat, now cat-free, is too quiet. For the first time in days, I am no longer checking water or food bowls or monitoring litter box usage. The stress I was feeling has dissipated as he is now in hands greater than mine and I know I've done everything possible to look after his health.

Notably calm during our ride, he became quite vocal and agitated when the vet and techs attended him earlier this afternoon and while he relaxed when alone with me in a small exam room, his growling, hissing and meowing soared to new height when I left, first to find a bathroom and eventually, to return home.

I cannot imagine how frightening it must be for an elderly cat to be in a place which is noisy, full of new smells and bright lights and features people in scrubs he views as his jailers. I hope he will have a peaceful evening, and forgive his lowly human for leaving him, if only temporarily.

14 comments:

Wisewebwoman said...

So sorry to hear this about your wee lad. I hope they find what ails him and quickly.
I know what you mean about the relief from checking all the time it is exhausting. Sleep well m'dear.
XO
WWW

Elephant's Child said...

I am so sorry. For you and for him.
Heartfelt hugs.

e said...

Thanks and sweet dreams to you as well.

e said...

It's hell when they get old, isn't it? Thanks. We can use all the hugs we can get and sending a few your way too!

alphabet soup said...

I hope things go well for your four-legged senior citizen. Owning an older cat is always a worry.

Ms Soup

Birdie said...

I have never known a cat to grieve like that. I will send a word up to St. Francis for him.

Birdie said...

Do you have comment moderation on? My comment disappeared.

Shaheen said...

Oh e. I am so sorry to read this. Pets become members of our family and impact on us hugely. Big Hug x

e said...

Thank you. He is a devoted pal.

e said...

Thanks! I'm sorry your comment disappeared, not sure why and yes, I keep comment moderation on.

e said...

I knew you would understand and you are right, this is a huge impact and I am getting a preview of life in future without him which is sad but eventually inevitable. Thanks for visiting. Hug to you, too.

Birdie said...

Just stopping by to see how your cat is today.

The Happy Whisk said...

I'm reading backwards so I know he's back home now and purring. Healing wishes to you both.

Secret Agent Woman said...

Don't you wish you could explain to pets that a situation is temporary and to help them?