Tuesday, November 29, 2016

A new chapter...

For the first time in twenty years, I have only one pet in the household. Throughout his eleven years with me, this cat has never been solo and is not sure what to think of this situation. He vacillates from enjoying my attention to walking around meowing without any apparent provocation. I know he is mourning, and as creatures of routine, cats generally do not enjoy the world as they know it changing.

The other unanticipated aspect of this sudden alteration in domesticity is that I verge on becoming a neurotic cat parent. He has hit the magic number fifteen which is the average lifespan in years for a domestic cat in this country, and I am now hyper-attentive to his appetite, sleep, box habits, play and moods, lest I miss any sign of slowly developing illness.

Having spoken to his veterinarian, I know that it is not uncommon for older cats to develop chronic conditions rapidly, as was the case with my sixteen-year-old female, who in September, had a blood work up and received a clean bill of health, as did he. The second tidbit here is that cats can mourn for extended periods, and not eating can trigger liver problems. Additionally, being awakened at four in the morning by a sentient creature pleading for attention or food repeatedly is exhausting. I've toughed this out twice already and will do so again as there is no choice. Both of our reactions are also quite common and I know that things will eventually settle into a new rhythm here.

On a happier note, Thanksgiving weekend was lovely and included wonderful food, friends and an outing to a nearby park and nature center. This is the perfect time of year for parks as they are neither too hot nor too crowded. The fresh air and boardwalk did wonders for my malaise. Wishing everyone a good week.




14 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

Snap.
Jazz too has never been solo. When he walks round the house looking for Jewel, calling for Jewel, and crying for her, I do too.
I am glad that your Thanksgiving was lovely and offered some welcome respite.

Birdie said...

I think it is sad that cats grieve. It must be so confusing for them.

Steve Reed said...

I'm glad you had a good Thanksgiving! I'm sure your cat will adjust, but of course mourning is just as natural for him as for you. It's hard to know what animals are thinking. I don't envy vets.

e said...

Thank you. I am sorry for the loss of your feline friend and hope things settle for you, too. I do sometimes wish cats could speak. I've the feeling we would learn a lot about ourselves...

e said...

Thanks, and I concur.

Anonymous said...

So heartbreaking. This little creature mourning is very sad. So much confusion there. I am sad for both of you actually. It's a tough time all around.

Jenny Woolf said...

This is very sad for both of you. I guess you have not considered taking in an older rescue cat at this time, it is the wrong time. But eventually it might start seeming like a good thing I guess. I hope your cat continues healthy for a long time, don't worry too much.

A Cuban In London said...

I am sad to read this. I have a friend who has about 7 cats (or is it 8 now?) and she is mad about them. beautiful animals they are, too.

Greetings from London.

e said...

Yes. We take things a day at a time around here. Thanks for your visit.

e said...

My cats have feline upper respiratory virus, so taking in an older cat or kitten would expose them and could alter their health. It is better that I wait till he too is gone and the house has been cleared and cleaned before bringing in another cat. So now, just the two of us, and lots of cuddling.

e said...

Your friend is most fortunate. Thanks for your interest and your visit. I am sure with time we will adjust.

HBF said...

Glad you had a good Thanksgiving and sad to hear about the mourning process, I know it's tough. Hugs for both of you :o)

e said...

Thank you. Hugs to you as well!

Secret Agent Woman said...

He's a beautiful cat. I'm sorry he's missing his companion.