Today
The solitary practice of making tea by
the cup…
A prelude to our late morning phone calls
Started when your girls were in diapers
and down for naps
You always began with a joke or a funny
story
Our natter quickly turning to the world
beyond our doors or
Some book neither of us could put down
Your treks into the desert, telescope in
hand
Looking for the perfect night’s sky,
filled notebooks
Now in a box, closeted in a city
apartment, far from the landscape you adored
I sip my tea alone, the only sound
Your voice in my
head
This poem commemorates the passing of my friend Pauline two years ago this week. Knowing someone from the ages of seventeen to fifty-three is a rare privilege, and I think of her and the family that included me often.
24 comments:
Your voice in my head. And in your heart...
What a lovely poem. Sending you love.
Some people are never forgotten for the memory they left behind. THAT is as it should be. I will live as long as someone remembers my life. Remember your friend as you have done so here e, with love.
Lovely. It really captures a wonderful sense of special connection and cherished relationship. And it introduced me to a great new word-natter! Thank you for sharing. Beautiful <3 Hugs.
A beautiful memorial. I am sorry for your loss.
Yes indeed so...
Thanks and I send the same to you.
Thanks and you're right!
A word left over from my time in England...Hugs to you, too.
Thank you.
This is so beautiful. I'm so sorry you lost your friend.
Thank you, both for the compliment and your kindness in coming here to read.
I sip my tea alone... Quite powerful when you read such words.
Indeed a privilege to know someone for so long.
I am so sorry, it sounds like you lost a very dear and close friend. Your words remain as does her image in your heart.
I am glad you got in touch. I was wondering who e. was who sent me such a lovely email. Glad to get to know you.
Thanks for your kind words. Wishing you happiness amid all the world's confusion...
Thank you. It is so nice to see you here...
Your words touched my heart as you know I miss my dear ones so much. Beautifully written E. As always. Now I need to catch up with the rest of your posts.
XO
WWW
What a lovely post! I love a good cup of tea!
I'm sorry to hear of your loss. This is a beautiful poem. Thanks.
Greetings from London.
Her notebooks... takes me back to past bereavements and the way things we own can take on a meaninglessness when we're not there to own them.
Very sorry for your lose :-(
I am very sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. I'm glad her voice is still so much in your mind.
They mean a great deal to her daughters.
Post a Comment