Senators staging sit-ins to force other legislators to adopt commonsense and necessary gun control measures following a failed filibuster...Bernie Sanders conceding he isn't likely to win the Democratic nomination in a game that has been fixed since the beginning...We are a rigged and money-ridden two-party system that isn't working except for politicians and while a large number of voters are slowly awakening to this fact and choosing to go with third parties such as the Green Party or Libertarians, for good or ill, a wide swath of our voting populace is plainly stupid.
Is there any good news out there today? If this bores you, you can always go read the replies to the comments from the previous post...Did any of you know that there is a smart, progressive woman running for president here? Her initials are not HRC and she isn't beholden to every corporate lobbyist in the land or under investigation for anything untoward...
Until Next time...
21 comments:
In Canada we have 3 major parties to vote for plus the Green party and a few smaller ones. You have to vote strategically to make sure your party gets a seat in the house. The most seats wins the election and the head of that party gets to be Prime Minister. It can get sticky because you may like the party but not the head so it makes it hard to vote. Also, say a person votes Green, they may get a lot of individual votes across Canada but not enough votes to win in the individual constituency so in the end your vote is wasted. Confused? It is!
Since I am not following U.S. elections I don't who the woman you are speaking of. But like here in Canada when we had our last election, anyone but Stephen Harper/Donald Trump.
Sigh. We have two major parties here too. And frequently they race each other to plummet to the bottom.
However, our elections will be held in a fortnight. And the campaign is MUCH shorter than yours, and slightly less ugly.
Politics...ugh...makes me nuts! I don't know enough about your political system but I've no doubt you've got your fair share of crap!
With all this referendum stuff going on in the UK I have taken my eye of the ball in terms of what is happening elsewhere. Thanks for the update.
It's all so ridiculous... with the election I can't wait til it's over but I'm pretty sure I'm not gonna enjoy the results either way. Never thought I'd miss Obama, but that just might be so!
Her name is Jill Stein and she is the Green Party Candidate...
We need an overhaul of our entire political process...
Our offices go to the highest bidder in most cases...the whole thing has gotten disgusting...
I love politics and the always present campaign by someone for something--I'm not sure of it's all comedy or farce, but it is all worthy of popcorn and a soda. Like most things I refuse to get worked up over any of it e; I haven't missed a vote in over 40 years, have always paid attention to actions not speeches. So that said this race may actually be the death roll of the grip the 2 party system has on the nation, but until we get money and lobby's out of the halls of all legislatures, nothing will change. Green, gold, libertarian, rainbow or whatever--greed and need to be re-elected through campaign finance will always rule the who is on the ballot.
Sadly...the two party system is so ingrained that it will likely not change in our lifetime.
I don't have much to say about politics but I do know, it's Saturday, the sun is up and it's time to make bread. Happy Weekend and thanks for your visits this past week.
No. That's the short answer. Although, if you're Welsh... :-)
Greetings from London.
Oh to get rid of parties and their corruption
More like a rant than an update. Perhaps I should follow your lead and go to sea.
It will only be the death knell for the two major parties if third parties are allowed access to debates and primaries, and since virtually all of our media and press are corporately owned and parent companies dole out dollars to the two major parties ,people rarely hear what third parties are doing unless they make a special effort to do so. They tend to believe what they see but given that fifty percent of voters now claim to identify with neither the Republicans nor the Democrats and people are leaving the Republican party because of the presumed nomination of Trump, it should be interesting.
See my comment to Walking Man below. It sounds like you don't like either of the major party candidates, and if so, you fall into the fifty percent to which I refer...I do not think you will be alone in missing Obama but the parties both need reforms.
The parties will not change until the voters do. Waiting idly for them to change themselves is fruitless.
Everyone who votes here should be interested, especially now...
I was just reading an article in my local rag about the potential impact of the Brexit on trade and tourism in my State...not pretty...Greetings to you!
Dream on, MacDuff...I'm in the fifty percent of folks who like neither major party candidate...
I will make my mind up on my own route closer to November--I agree with you about 3rd parties; they do represent a sizable portion of voters and have tipped elections before. for now--popcorn and a beverage--the foolishness is about to get deep.
Post a Comment