Have you ever undertaken a project only to discover part way through that it isn't to your liking and needs to be re-done? So it is with the Will I have penned. I am deeply bothered by something but cannot put my finger on its source. Anyone who knows me in the non-digital world will also understand that not being able to suss out a problem quickly is not a situation common to me. I do not appreciate agitation as a growth opportunity and no, I am not afraid of death. Loss, it seems, has been a hallmark, in my life and the last few years have driven the point home.
The last month or so has seen me emerging from dreams of people and childhood adventures long past and attempting to discover what has happened to the individuals involved. Since I do not recall the majority of my dreams and most nights do not even sleep well, these incidents have been a bit disconcerting as I wonder what has triggered them.
My childhood spent abroad, afforded me a range of experiences beyond those of most people I encounter but was far from rosy. Adolescence, though slightly less bumpy, saw me turn inward. To this day, I wonder whether the fights, taunts and bullying of my childhood, assumed to be a normal rite of passage by parents at the time, could have been stopped. The quiet, somewhat aloof exterior, combined with a dark and sarcastic humor that saw me into my twenties before finding the first of three highly competent therapists brings me embarrassment when I recall my younger years. A high school friend remembered me as kind while another childhood friend of longer standing tells me that I always seemed less a kid and more a mini adult. I'm not sure either is completely accurate but, as the only kid in my house and one who spent more time with adults than with children, I tended to be more self-contained. I also nearly always felt out of place, a situation exacerbated by parental issues and limitations it has taken me half a lifetime to understand.
The woman I've become loves animals more than people, prefers the quiet of my room and a good book to superficial chitchat though I appear to converse easily when necessary, is generous to a fault, feels like an afterthought to remaining family and rarely sees any of them. I've also discovered that there are some, both in my family and outside, that I genuinely dislike and while I keep things cordial, prompt exits are the order of the day. I find it ironic that a step sibling with whom I have greater connection than blood relations cannot act on my behalf to execute last wishes as the laws of this ill-named paradise prevent that...
Until Next Time...
30 comments:
Sigh.
You are singing a song I know very, very well.
Animals and books give me MUCH more support than people. And on the whole less pain too.
Living in different countries, associating more with adults than children, being bullied as "different" and not fitting in, resonate with my experiences. Horses saved me, building self-confidence I would never have found elsewhere.
Sometimes animals are more understanding than people are. And remember, they are non-judgmental. :-)
Greetings from London.
How apt; someone just mentioned people I knew in college, and it brought back so many memories of how inept I was for so long. I'm surprised you can't name anyone you want as executor of your will. Is that Florida law?
YOu are obviously at a stage in your life when you are evaluating and sorting out. I don't know what the reason might be, perhaps we all go through stages like this. It sounds as if you have quite a bit to digest at present and it must be rather troubling not to be able to remember dreams.
I tend to be somewhat of a perfectionist so yes, I have begun things and didn't like the way they were progressing and felt the need to begin again. And I agree with A Cuban in London. Sometimes animals are more understanding than people; I can say this with conviction, especially when it comes to mental illness (depression, retardation, autism, etc.) Sadly there still seems to be a stigma about this. Thank you so much for sharing.
I can't believe your step-sibling ain't allowed to "execute last wishes!" That sounds like baloney to me.
I related to your "mini-adult" feelings and also appreciate the heft of things left to ponder and sort through from childhood... I hope you can suss out the issue and become less bothered soon <3
I can certainly relate to your connection with animals. Animals are never manipulative or malicious. They aren't greedy or vindictive or dishonest or judgmental. They don't have any flawed characteristics like humans do. So how can you not feel the way you do?
I have many "friends lite" but no best friends. Is it me? I don't think so. I know deep in my heart I am a good person. I don't gossip, I am not ever mean, am generous and a great listener. I do choose bad people to let into my closest circle. I know this so I don't even try anymore. I love my family. I have a mostly good one but I like being alone. I have my online friends from my blog, my cat and my husband (most days!). And honestly, I am perfectly content.
e--I could have written this with just a few changes of details. I have been pondering a will, and am undecided about dying intestate and letting them with claim fight it out seeing as even as the head of my own portion of the tribe i rarely see any of them. *meh* I prefer my own company and silence to most everything most all the time.
You're right, they do...I hope you are feeling better and thanks.
I understand completely as I relished being around horses as a teen. People were reluctant to let me ride and now there are therapy programs for kids...Too bad I cannot ride now...
Greetings to you! I'm not sure my cat would agree that he is non-judgmental, but he does have me well trained, LOL!
The law here stipulates either a resident or a blood relation...
Writing last wishes and other related things is difficult when one has limited family contact and is closer to friends...
I agree with your convictions, and the stigma is still very much present. As a physically disabled girl, both kids and adults underestimated me and some of their ideas were and are just plain stupid. Thanks for visiting.
Blood relative or resident and she is neither, unfortunately. Thanks for your support, Hannah!
Great! May your contentment only grow!
Here, if I die intestate, the state gets anything left. I have a few close friends and I'm charity-minded. Mostly, I did it for the animal pals. Not fair that they get shuttled off to an overcrowded pound and killed due to age simply because I'm no longer breathing...thanks for visiting.
Some of the deepest connections I have ever experienced have been with animals...
That is wonderful and I agree. The human-animal bond is miraculous. Thanks for visiting.
I thought one could choose whomever one wants as executor of a will. Blood is not a requirement. Am I wrong on this?
In my state, you would be wrong in that assumption...
Can a stepsib not be named executor of a will or given power of attorney? I thought it was at a person's discretion to name whoever they chose as long as they had legal documents drawn up.
You know, developing whatever coping skills you needed to to get you to adulthood shouldn't be embarrassing. Life is hard.
In my state, an executor must be either a blood relative or a state resident, and stepsister is neither. Apparently the laws about this vary from state to state.
the older I become, I prefer to be in the company of animals than human beings - I am seeing more and more selfishness, egotism and unfairness that is for the charity I work for that spouts 'equality'. It is anything, but.... I am quite surprised that you cannot choose who you want as executor, but I do not know of these things - so sorry cannot advise and hope you are able to resolve it to your hearts satisfaction. Take care.
Is there no way around this blood relation law? What if there is no blood relation alive? This is a law that is not familar to me, so I ask.
Very odd. I joined your blog, but you're not showing up in my feed. No idea why. Anyway, I wrote you an answer on the stevia. I read blogs on the weekend, so I'll be back next weekend to read about your advetures.
Wow...sorry to hear that. I did see your comment back. Thanks!
We're very much alike. Animals and trees are my best friends, though I do have some solid and loyal human friends.
Have you read the book, Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking? It is written by Susan Cain and was wonderful.
Post a Comment