Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Funerals Bring Up All Manner of Things...

 The last two weeks have been marked by tiredness and a stomach virus. I genuinely felt at one point like a rolling bio hazard. As someone reminded me, stress, whether good or bad, takes its toll, so I guess I should not have been surprised. The last three years have been tumultuous and marked by departures, some of them stunning. While most of us would associate that particular descriptor with something beautiful, it also most aptly describes events over which we have little to no control and which often can bring us to our knees, metaphorically if not otherwise.

My aunt's death was sudden, but a good one, in that she died peacefully at home surrounded by people who cared for her. In addition to her expertise at cultivating flowers and gardens, she cultivated a vast social network that by the end of her life included friends, members of her religious community, those in the regional and state arts scene, politicians, academics and a host of others from varied walks of life.

Seated at the end of a pew surrounded by about five hundred and representatives of the local media, I reflected not only on her life but my own. Like this aunt, I suffer no shortage of opinions and tend toward generosity. Though Lacking the physical prowess to grow and nurture flowers and food, I nonetheless have a healthy respect for those who do and have always enjoyed being outside.

As a kid, I loved the beach, parks and camping and it was a particular joy to me to teach   camping, hiking and rowing skills to younger children in my teens, despite a lifelong disability. Also like this aunt in her youth, I often nurtured younger children, sometimes as a teen baby sitter, intermittently as a visiting cousin and as a volunteer, and then as a young teacher, though I never seriously desired children of my own. Teaching was short-lived and my work life evolved around writing and editing with other things thrown in, pushing me into the creative world. As a librarian much later, I was often front and center when it came to dealing with folks of all ages, backgrounds and foibles.

Unlike my aunt, however, I eschew the limelight. I am an introvert with all of the characteristics that now much-bandied term suggests.  A loner by inclination,  I frequently find crowds almost intolerable. Though I've schooled myself in the art of the poker face and often appear to others to be comfortable talking with anyone, these are skills my professional life forced upon me. While I am grateful to have developed these abilities, true happiness is generally found in the peace of my bed, book in hand. A cup of tea and my cats also figure prominently in such a scenario.

While introverted persons are often mistakenly labeled as being shy, something I have never been, I am very selective to whom I speak and what I reveal and do not trust easily, traits developed as a result of being part of a family that used any personal piece of information about another as potential ammunition and fodder for comparison. As a younger person, I learned quickly to keep my mind on my schoolwork at home, do my chores, be polite and reveal next to nothing of my deepest dreams to either parent. The fact that they and I saw the world differently was down to being a teen, in their view. That  my perspective broadened as the result of travels and experiences entirely different from theirs did not come into the matter. Neither did my gender or the fact of my disability nor the time and environment in which we lived. Such epic shortsightedness, common for both was, unfortunately, more solidly entrenched in my mother, a woman whose view of herself as a parent differed radically from my own.

She seemed to have a love-hate relationship with her extended family, and myriad issues with her own mother made my getting to know those beyond my grandparents harder than it should have been. Such are the vagaries of family dynamics. Then, there was the matter of geography, the forming of relationships with step-siblings, the medical and therapeutic issues in my childhood and other less salubrious events. By the time I reached high school, a sense of "otherness" dominated my immediate horizon, something it took me years to understand and a situation I still encounter today as a woman with a chair. Sitting at the end of pew with a bird's eye view of a cousin's collar left me wondering whether the capable woman that I have become should feel differently about this family...I have no feeling of belonging anywhere or with anyone, merely being here and wondering why.

Until Next Time...


7 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

Some of this is painfully familiar.
I too am an introvert and NEED time alone to gather my strength.
And I too had a difficult relationsihp with my parents. And my mother severed her relationship with her family and told us they were dead. We didn't discover differently until after her death.
Look after yourself as best you can. Your final sentence worries me.
Hugs.

the walking man said...

I have much the same feeling about familial relationships. They start early and are impacted by the weather as it occurs from what ever source. I never knew, nor have no a desire to find cousins of my father's sister. My own siblings have all followed a well trod path of childhood, college, career and did fine on those highways as for myself my memory of my parents is far different than the other 4. I walked my own way, never received an "education," my degree coming from the furnaces and forges of my own experience. It's not that i do not have some care for them, but rather I have nothing in common with any of them. And now in my early 60's I find I have even less in common with most of them I once associated with in the art community.

I don't know about you e, but I get the sense that like me, isolation is a good a condition as any. (Funerals I will attend at least the viewing, but I have seen far too many for way too many reasons than to make them a memorial for me personally)

HBF said...

I know this post wasn't all rainbows and sunshine, but I was entranced and thoroughly enjoyed reading-and could keep reading on and on! Thank you for sharing.

I know there are so many things that have contributed to my own feelings of "otherness" and I simply need to differentiate those things from me. It's not all my fault, I'm not inherently flawed or bad or hopeless... your post reminded me of these things. Thank you.

I know that you belong in the blogosphere, I'm afraid beyond that is beyond me and my fragile insight into the matter. I do think that it is fascinating that some people never think about these things or have these feelings... I don't know if I should pity them, be jealous, or just "dif'rent strokes for dif'rent folks" about that.

I'm sorry about your aunt, I'm glad that you could appreciate her and I'm glad that you can appreciate yourself. Stating that you are an introvert not shy seems, hmmm, like a confident statement appreciating oneself and your unique ways. I like that. I'm a little jealous in fact, but mostly happy for you to have found your way in life to a place where you can be yourself and be happy.

Wishing you only more happiness.

Hug a kitty for me please, hugging my mini poodle just ain't the same as a good cat :o)

Jenny Woolf said...

From what you say it sounds as though you are happy to have that sense of "otherness" even though the route to it was not always comfortable. YOu have helped and interacted with others without letting them overwhelm you. Or, that is how I understand it, anyhow.

Anonymous said...

"I have no feeling of belonging anywhere or with anyone, merely being here and wondering why." I wonder, are those kind of feelings, of alienation, of being on the outside, looking in, harder to talk about than they used to be? I've been reading a book about Sartre and Co. They went out of fashion years ago. Was our ability to talk of freedom, and of making choices that shape us fading around then, too? I hope that makes sense - I really am just thinking aloud.

I am sure though that, in the long run, wondering is good for us!

Wisewebwoman said...

I could so relate to your post, E. Solitude is my friend. Otherness is constant. Funerals open all the boxes in my head. My siblings and I have a clawing discomfort interspersed with periodic and unexplainable (to me) shunnings by various members, nieces, nephews, brothers. As you know my grief has opened all this afresh. So very many don't understand, I am careful whom I share with and now, whom I hang with. I trust so very few with my raw feelings.

XO
WWW

Mwa said...

Maybe more people feel like that than you know? I certainly do as well.