Those of you who have been reading here for a while may know that I've been struggling for the last couple of years to lower the weekly shopping bills, cope with transportation costs and issues and free my home of unneeded items. I've discovered that each of these is an ongoing process. I continue to make headway and have recently had the good fortune to see a reduction both food bills and waste, thanks to some simple changes.
Because I must pay transportation costs and face restrictions on the number of bags I'm permitted when using a shared wheelchair van, I arrange a wheelchair taxi and go out once weekly for groceries and any other necessary shopping. The driver, whom I know, accompanies me for shopping, which I pay for. As the costs of both transportation and food in this country continue to climb, it has been important for me to economize and try everything I can to eliminate what I refer to as "cash in the trash syndrome."
Beginning in the new year, I ditched the major grocery chain in my neighborhood in favor of the four mile trip to Aldi, which my readers in Europe will recognize. This has slashed my food budget nearly in half and while I still need to buy pet food and litter elsewhere, I've been able to stock up on those items and re-fill my pantry so that now I'm mostly just buy fresh vegetables, salad makings and fruit, along with basic cleaning and laundry supplies. Neither fast food or frozen meals figure prominently in my diet, nor does a lot of meat. I do keep a cache of frozen vegetables, some pasta and veggie burgers and fish on hand for quick suppers and lunches and have recently made the acquaintance of the local farm stand which is on the way to the Aldi at which I shop.
Last night, I paid ten dollars for aubergine, a bag of red potatoes, a large Meyer lemon, a bag of fresh broccoli, some candied papaya, bananas and a couple of other items at the farm stand. My Aldi bag consisted of bread, pasta, fresh green beans, cucumbers, a bag of baking potatoes, cottage cheese, one dozen eggs, some condiments and a few basic kitchen items for $25. My twenty pound bag of pine cat litter was $9 and I have more than enough to see me through the next week. I felt like I did well rather than simply settling for what was inexpensive and my savings is growing a bit, which is always a plus in my book.
Because I never know what fruits and vegetables I will find, I've had to get creative with meals, which means my grocery lists now consist of notations such as, "check fresh veg," rather than specific items. A week ago, I was surprised to find large, fresh blackberries available for half of what they cost at the larger grocery chains, so into the basket they went, with me smiling all the way to the register. Blackberries were never around when I was growing up. It was a late blogger friend from Canada who introduced me to them and now, when I find and enjoy them, I think of her.
The aubergine was small, cream colored and lightly striped in lavender rather than the deep purple to which I'm accustomed. It is the first of its kind I've ever seen and I've not yet found a photo of it on the Internet. I roasted it in the oven with some oil, basil and oregano for part of my dinner this evening and savored every morsel.
As far as cookery, I'm not sure my skills have improved, but I am having some fun finding ways to use up left overs and make sure all of the lovely fresh stuff I've been buying is eaten promptly to avoid waste. Life on a fixed income...
What money-saving strategies do you use, if any?
17 comments:
Groceries have become almost a luxury. I try to buy whatever is on sale that week. I also don't really buy cleaning supplies anymore but use more natural and organic. I do use bleach (on sale!) for the kitchen counters once a week.
I am using up all my leftovers these days. Which saves huge amounts of money. I'm finding ways to completely change a meal the next day. I doubt anyone would even know they were leftovers if I didn't tell them. Our dauphinois potatoes, roast pork and vegetables from Sunday dinner became an amazing one pot potato oven dish on Monday, with the addition of only some red pepper and some mushrooms. Every last bit was eaten.
I also buy all the cheap supermarket own brands and watch out for deals. I should go to Aldi but I find it too depressing because it looks like a warehouse. I do sometimes.
It's kind of fun to be thorough about using up leftovers. It leads to interesting combinations sometimes! I've seen the striped eggplants but I'm not sure I've ever had one. (Not really an eggplant fan, I must say.) And blackberries can be picked wild in Florida in April, though getting to a good patch might be a challenge! I love blackberries on cereal.
I buy Bleach, Laundry Detergent, Dish Soup and Clorox Wipes, all deeply discounted, and Vinegar.
The warehouse thing doesn't bother me, and Aldi brands are good and they have plans to increase their organics, which I use.
I never had Blackberries as a kid near the equator, now, I buy them whenever I can and getting to a patch would be difficult for me.
I try to get what is on special every week, as everything is so expensive these days! :)
I have found that Aldi's prices are so much lower than my former chain that it is a pleasure to peruse what is on special there and try and figure out how to use it--part of the fun of home cooking, which I am working on as well. Thanks for popping in!
You are an inspiration! Aldi's sounds like quite a great place. I live in a small town with two competing grocery stores, not that it changes the prices much. I use coupons and try to stick with my list. I cannot stand to waste food so I try to use everything I buy, even if I'm not in the mood to cook or to eat what is available in the fridge at the moment!
Thanks for your kind words, but it is all part of another life transition for me. I think using coupons and lists are good ideas because they force you to think ahead and prioritize which is also helpful in sticking to a reasonable budget and healthy options. Thanks for your comment. I love your writing!
Aubergine is one of my favorite words in the English language.
Mine, too!
I don't have much by way of money-saving strategies, other than 'buy one get one free' and comparing the cost per gram etc when deciding which size is best value.
Blackberries though we can get for free, picking them on pretty much any country lane in early autumn :)
I love aubergine. I wish we ate it more at home. :-)
Greetings from London.
I grew up in a part of the world where I never saw blackberries or their bushes and my time in England was spent in cities rather than the countryside, so I never went berry picking. You are fortunate to be able to do that. I hope Mrs. P is feeling better.
How would you prepare it? Thanks for your comments!
I miss Aldi...and Lidl! Real German quality standards and good prices.
We've never been into waste...I remember an old chef telling me that the art of the professional chef was to look into the fridge and make a good meal from what you found there...
I shop at the big feria in San Jose if I'm there on the right day but mostly buy my stuff from the chaps selling from trucks on the roadside. It's their own produce,they can't afford to use chemicals and you can pick what you want.
I know those aubergines...and the oval ivory ones too which gave the name 'eggplant' to the aubergine in England.
Post a Comment