I'm feeling a bit restless after two-plus dark and dreary days of rain. The darkness and rain remind me of England and going out bundled in a coat, something that was completely foreign to me growing up near the equator. The weather here, apart from bouts of rain, has been cool though the northern portion of our State did have warnings of snow flurries during Jonas and there has also been some tornado activity reported, all strange for the region and time of year.
Wet weather makes it hard for me to get or stay outdoors. Apart from slick pavement and mud, there is the detritus one inevitably runs over and risks tire punctures from as well as the mess tracked into the flat. It is also not fun to have to sit in a damp seat. Since I cannot push and handle an umbrella, the only recourse is a raincoat with a hood. Mine is black and people have jokingly told me I look like a rolling version of the Grim Reaper in the thing which isn't at all what I was going for when I bought it. Nothing against the image since we are all destined to depart eventually, but that is hardly a pleasant thought for someone who, in a period of two years, lost five friends and an extended family member, one of whom I found as a corpse. I'd much rather be Bat Lady or at the very least, Batty Cat Lady since I am owned by two felines, albeit somewhat grudgingly.
That said, the two cats have been behaving strangely, even for them. My overprotective male has spent the balance of the last two nights jumping from pillar to post to window sill, as though he senses something disturbing. I, however, find nothing amiss. His female counterpart, skittish at the best of times, has virtually glued herself to me beneath the duvet and spends non-sleeping hours secreted away in a closet.
I've read, cooked, done laundry, listened to music, played guitar badly, written blog posts and bungled Hebrew until I can do no more. The Beatles, "Here Comes The Sun," is the latest tune traipsing through my brain, though the Animals tune, "We gotta get out of this place," is a close second...
A friend suggested I try the Mall for a bit of a roll around. Despite my serious dislike of such places, the paved, dry surfaces and lack of water sound very appealing...
The Grim Reaper Rolls!
How do you deal with restlessness?
17 comments:
Reading almost always. Usually old favourites. If I am really restless and uncomfortable in my skin a new book is not generally the answer - unless it grabs me quickly.
Sometimes I cook up a storm and prepare meals I can freeze for later days.
You are certainly not the only batty cat lady. Mine rule me with whims of iron sheathed in their velvet paws.
I love your description of your cats...velvet paws indeed. Thanks for visiting. It's always a pleasure to see you here.
I have not stirred much since my surgery and I am going a little batty. I did walk down to the river today to see it because we have had so much rain. It usually doesn't get as high as it is right now.
For what it's worth, I was pleasantly surprised by the condition of University Square Mall the last time I was in Tampa. Not sure if you'd go there or Westshore or Citrus Park, but either way, the mall sounds like a good escape!
University Square is a great place to go for muggings and shootings...The last time I went to the movies there with a friend, two rival gangs were involved in fighting and cops were everywhere...
It is unusual for us too at this time of year to get so much rain...I wish the park near me wasn't closed for renovations...Glad you're feeling better.
I hope this is ok to ask: How do you get to the mall? Just curious about your life, and how you manage. xo
Either a wheelchair taxi or shared wheelchair transport, both of which I pay for. The regular bus system here is so poorly run it takes several connections and a lot of time to go more cheaply. With any wheelchair transport, 24-72 hours notice is required and with the shared wheelchair vans, there is an hour window for pick ups and returns and no "will call," which means you can't call on the fly like with a regular taxi. The wheelchair taxi also requires 24-72 hours notice but you have more leeway with the return trip. I usually do a weekly trip for food and sundries but I am learning that unless I factor in an extra trip, I start to feel marooned and since going anywhere costs, I have to choose carefully and watch the finances. I actually rarely go to malls because I have other places I prefer but in cold or rainy weather, the mall is a good place to roll and people watch.
Eek!
I generally take on a large task when I get restless. Something I've been meaning to do. Or booze and tv, of course. :-)
Thank you, e.
Sometimes it's worth breaking out for taxis. I find it helps to call someone and have a chat. I hope the weather looks up soon. Dark weather makes everything ten times worse!
Perhaps your felines are feeling a change in the air pressure?
Like Elephant's Child, a good read can usually take care of some cabin fever, but by its very nature, restlessness demands movement. Sometimes I can sneak up on myself with some forgotten task like cleaning a closet that can fill up all kinds of time. I call it guerrilla cleaning.
I'm rarely restless I find a good series on Netflix or DVD will settle me along with picking up knitting as I watch. Sometimes along good book or writing of my state of mind or a good memory.
XO
WWW
I've begun several large tasks here, don't own television and do not drink, but I will get this place in order...
You're right about the dark weather, and as for the taxi, that takes advance notice. Chats can be good but have you noticed that people don't chat as much in the age of Facebook?
Possibly, I know change in barometric pressure can effect joints, too. Guerrilla cleaning sounds right up my street. Thanks for visiting.
Post a Comment