Tuesday, October 20, 2015

An Interesting Few Weeks...

It has been an interesting few weeks around here. A friend's elderly Dad passed away at 92 and though I was supposed to attend his funeral, a slight fever kept me home. As I was planning to go out of town, I was happy that nothing more serious transpired.

The trip away was to Winston-Salem, in the northernmost corner of North Carolina, about an hour from the Virginia border. Another friend's Dad lives there and she visits every couple of months as he is also quite elderly. Our road trip began at two AM and we drove through four states, reaching our destination in early evening. I applaud the Comfort Inn and Suites for a lovely room, accessible bathroom and great bed. Not only was it comfortable, I was spared having to pirouette into a bed that was taller than my chair and then crawl past the edge to find a spot in which to sleep.

The next morning saw us out and about under cloudy skies and rain. We took my friend's Dad on some errands, went to lunch at Mi Pueblo, his favorite Mexican place, and visited two parks, both of which are on the National Historic Register.

The first, Bethabara, is one of the oldest Moravian communities in the area, The second, Tanglewood, is the former estate of R.J. Reynolds. There are playing fields, camp grounds a B and B and a Reception Center, walking paths and other things available. As it was raining, I did not get many photos. More will follow in the next post.

We then went for ice cream at Mayberries. This was followed by a concert at the Unitarian church where her father had been the minister prior to his retirement. A fund raiser, the concert featured three distinguished professors of music, voice and piano and benefitted a community school with a large population of at risk children.

Thanks to those of you concerned as to my whereabouts. More to follow.




8 comments:

Jenny Woolf said...

I'm glad you had such an interesting time - thanks for the photos. That beautiful red place looks like an old barn, I wonder if it is a conversion of a farm building.

e said...

It is an original barn made into a reception center for events and meetings. The original mansion is now a bed and breakfast as well. Too bad it was raining. I would have loved to explore further.

Elephant's Child said...

I am so glad that your time away was interesting - but not interesting in the purportedly Chinese curse way (may you live in interesting times).
Love those photos (and the barn conversion) and am looking forward to more.

Secret Agent Woman said...

I like that part of NC.

HBF said...

Wow! That sounds like some serious drivin'! Glad you had a good resting place/hotel. Sounds like a lovely visit and I like the pictures, the brick one is my favorite :)

Did you run into any issues with flooding? Or see any remnants?

Steve Reed said...

Sounds like a fun trip, E! Glad the Comfort Inn really was comfortable!

Birdie said...

I am surprised at how many hotels are not barrier free. It just makes sense in my opinion and my guess is as the baby boomers get older hotels will have to make rooms accessible.

37paddington said...

Road trips with good friends can be one of life's highlight experiences. Your pictures are lovely.