Friday, June 26, 2015

A Landmark

The U.S.Supreme Court ruled 5-4 that State prohibitions against same-sex marriage violate our constitution. This makes same-sex marriage legal throughout this nation, a hard-won victory.  As a country, we still evidence racial hatred, inequality, lack of economic parity and a host of "isms" directed at various minority and disenfranchised groups. I hope one day in my old age to be able to say that more of these will have been defeated. I am wary. however, and wonder just what that will take.

Thanks to those of you who commented on my previous post. Loss is never easy and I remain concerned for my stepsister and her family.

Until Next Time.




9 comments:

Birdie said...

Same-sex marriage has been legal in Canada for over 10 years now and I am so glad that the U.S. is finally allowing this basic human right. I can't believe it took this long!

37paddington said...

I would never have imagined there would be a Black president in my lifetime, and here we are. I would never have imagined that marriage equality would become the law of the land so soon, and yet here we are. I say, let's keep imagining the world as we would have it be. Why not? Why not indeed. xo

Birdie said...

Re : Norbert. He is neutered. I got him from a rescue and he came to me that way and I would never, ever own a pet and not get it fixed. The cloning himself was a joke because cats that look just like him turn up. It is really weird. Once I chased a cat down the street only to find out it wasn't even Norbert. Another time there was one in our yard that I yelled at because he was outside. Norbert is an inside cat but occasionally makes an escape attempt. The cloning thing started because he is a nasty cat that hates everyone. I think he might be the devil. ;-)

the fly in the web said...

And a very elegant ruling it was....

Steve Reed said...

I feel the same way 37Paddington does. It's amazing to me that we've come so far.

Secret Agent Woman said...

About time. We still have a long way to go in terms of complete equality for everyone, but it's a huge step in the right direction.

Mwa said...

I hadn't expected it so soon either. We have had marriage equality since 2003, but we also don't think 'socialism' is a dirty word.

Maria said...

Boy howdy! As we say in the Cornhusker state....

tut-tut said...

yes, indeed. So many southern states having their foot-stamping moment in consternation. Glad I'm blogging again, and you're stopping by!