Thursday, August 1, 2013

Glimpses of a Day

I did not get many photos at all from my recent day out with Steve, whose blog you can find here. The battery in my not-so-trusty point-and-shoot decided to die after the middle picture here was snapped. As you can see, Steve took two photos of me so those of you who have always wondered what I might look like can now have a glimpse.

Ybor Gold and the green drink in the first photo preceded our lunch at Stone Soup, a small cafe in Ybor City. Once home to Tampa's cigar industry, Ybor City now features bars, night clubs, eateries, galleries and other small businesses, including longtime vintage clothing store, La France, into which we eventually ducked as respite from the summer heat and humidity.

For those curious about the liquid portion of our lunch, Ybor Gold was once brewed locally. My green drink was non-alcoholic, all fresh ingredients and included pineapple, a wonderful treat on a hot afternoon.

After walking the length of Seventh Avenue,  we decided to visit a nearby yogurt shop. Unfortunately, we could not get in the front entrance and went through many twists and turns at the back of an alley way searching for the accessible entry the store claimed to have only to give up and come all the way back to the front. Steve pulled me in through the doorway, a feat I would not have been able to attempt alone.

Once we made our way back to his father's truck, we decided to drive downtown and pray for decent parking. We were also hoping to find the boarding point for downtown trolley, which we failed to do. After hitting some uneven pavement and the track at a light, and landing on my knees, a coffee was in order. We then headed back to my hotel since Steve had dinner plans with another friend.



5 comments:

Brian Miller said...

oh i miss ybor city...when we lived in valrico we used to go there all the time...to the market...and the DISH...and there was some great cuban restaurants...mmmm....

Secret Agent Woman said...

That's very strange - when I went to your blog originally, there was no comment section available to me, and now here it is. The posts just ended with the G+/Tweet/Fb buttons.

Anyway, glad you had a nice visit with your college buddy. Did you call the lack of handicap accessibility to the store manager? I'd think that's a lawsuit waiting to happen.

Steve Reed said...

Secret Agent Woman: We did point out the lack of an accessible entrance (despite the sign insisting that there IS such an entrance) to the management. They were apologetic, but I don't have a lot of faith that their system is going to change. Basically they expect people to use the back door for wheelchair access, but when we went to the back door (which, by the way, is unmarked on the outside) and knocked, no one responded!

Jenny Woolf said...

Nice day although so frustrating not being able to get in to the doorway. Isn't it the law they have to provide decent access? well obviously not. Something to lobby for, maybe?

Shaheen said...

Nice to see a little of you :)
I can confer with Secret Agent Woman, I came last week and could not leave a comment, can do so now (thank goodness). Good to be introduced to your friend Steve too. And that green drink, mmmm think I'd like to try it.