Sunday, June 30, 2013

Rain, Rain, Go Away...

The almost constant rain of the last few days through my front screen door


It has been pouring here and after my weekly food shopping, I am a bit water-logged and tired of the wet, wind and grayness. It is one thing to sit home and enjoy the sounds of rain slushing through one's life but quite another to get soaked...

Even the cats, who love to sit and look out when the front door is opened, have retreated in reaction to the thunder, lightening and power outages...

Their menagerie of insects, birds and reptiles have all taken shelter, so there is nothing to keep two felines entertained except of course their favourite human who really only wants some tea and a bit of a nap at this point...

So far today, I've cleaned out the refrigerator, done the laundry, dealt with two bags of rubbish, had a small clear out of the bedroom closet and got the groceries in...

I did not buy more than three bags and still managed an eighty dollar total...

I'm beginning to wonder if the increase in cab fare would be worth a trip across town to Aldi...

I've tried every tactic but that one to cut my grocery bill...

What would you do?



17 comments:

Brian Miller said...

oy, tara just went grocery shopping today...its ridiculous...we have cut certain things from our diet as they are now just too expensive...we also watch the sale ads for better prices...raining her now...so the fireworks postponed for the eve...

the fly in the web said...

Is this the same as the European Aldi chain? If so...get that taxi! High quality and low prices.

Secret Agent Woman said...

Well, good for you for taking advantage of it. I often get a lot done in the house when there's a rainy spell. It's not like the outdoors is calling you!

I haven't found a way to eat healthy and not have a high grocery bill.

e said...

Sorry you have to do that...At least I am not alone...Enjoy the rest of your Sunday and thanks for visiting.

e said...

I believe so and you are right but none close to this area so the cab fare would double...I hope you and husband are keeping well.

e said...

I've spent more time in the house in the last few months due to illness, so I've a bit of cabin fever by now.

I Wonder Wye said...

We would sure love your rain - I wondered where it went.......despite Phoenix insisting we need not have t'storms ever again we are really in need and heading into a drought already...Wow you were productive. Rainy days will do that. I am pondering the grocery situation myself -- gotta eat but holy crow it's getting next to impossible to afford to! I always load up on produce and just a bit of meat and dairy, and avoid the processed 'junk' that is so costly, but there are certain things we gotta have. I use coupons, use Excys Senior Day discount on Tuesdays, go to one store to earn loyalty points on gas and groceries, and have been buying store brand more often than the brands I preferred...and for the most part they work out fine (when they don't I switch back). I am also making more casual meals. In the summer I can get away with more salad dishes and sandwich like meals than in the fall and winter. All helps but still groceries are TOO high. Some day I plan to grow some of our veggies...

Steve Reed said...

Where do you grocery shop now? Maybe there's a cheaper alternative that's not quite as far away as Aldi? (Not that I know where that Aldi is, by the way...)

I'll be in the middle of all that rain in just a day! Ugh! I'm going almost immediately up to Jacksonville, but maybe the following week we could meet up? I'll e-mail you.

the walking man said...

Food is a necessity, we are all captive to prices that are set regionally. When I seeour necessary expenses are rising we cut back on the unnecessary. We still have a few tricks up our sleeves yet to turn off but they are dwindling. Aldi's is OK but you factor a 15% cheaper grocery bill against the extra carfare and time then you'll know and there seems to always be an item or two they do not have.

Alan Burnett said...

I must admit when we were in SF, I did find the grocery prices high : but that might be me translating dollars into pounds. It is pretty grey over here in England at the moment, but better weather is forecast.

e said...

Publix is less than five minutes away from my flat...The other large grocer near me closed. Looks like the weather cleared for you!

e said...

Unfortunately, I've not got the option of shopping on Tuesdays and there are no loyalty points schemes, either. Growing your own veg sounds great. I hope you can. Thanks for popping by.

e said...

You're right...a lot to consider.

e said...

Groceries are high here now...I hope you do get some nicer weather. That will make for a nice return from your visit with friends.

Maria said...

I was in your shoes not long ago and now it is just the opposite. We need rain. I had to water my garden today for the first time all Summer and boy was I pouty about it. I've been spoiled rotten all through May and June....

On These Spindrift Pages - A journal of nature, thought, and the reflective life. said...

My dear e, I thope that you would be enjoying a heatwave by now. A little bit of sunshine after the rain would do you the world of good. I do sympathise with you when it comes to wet weather. I often feel the same. It could be raining in Scotland when the rest of the country is enjoying the hot summer! I hope your cats are coping and not too fed up with the rain. I started to grow some lettuce and a few vegetables to save the costs in my garden. I could see myself becoming a vegetarian (Although I am a Buddhist, I am not a vegetarian). It will not only be economical but also healthy option to eat less meat and more vegetables and fruits. Wishing you a joyful weekend. It's always lovely to hear from you. Best wishes, ASD

The bike shed said...

Thank you for your recent comments on the Bike Shed - I had thought after so long away people might have forgotten my blog. Aldi in the UK is very good - limited choice compared to some supermarkets but i rather like that