Whole Structure Fumigation...
I don't know what sprang to mind as you read those words, but if it had anything to do with a large tent enclosing four flats in a two-storey walk-up while chemicals designed to kill termites and other pests infiltrate every surface and pore, you'd be right.
Of course, this includes some preparation and an extensive clean up upon return to the premises, something not adequately covered in the letter I received last evening, courtesy of the community association and property management. I know this after having called the pest control company today. Every bit of clothing, linen, bed sheet, towel, dish and pot and pan, plate and glass and mug will need to be re-washed before use. Not good news for She Who Has Grandmother's China.
Having made arrangements for the felines and myself, discussed the situation with my cleaner and enlisted the help of a friend with the preparations, I've only transport and the making of spare key to worry about. I'm glad I've the money for a hotel and pet boarding. Others here do not and I am sure with only two weeks notice, the unanticipated expense involved in such preparation will be a strain.
Why we were not given the courtesy of thirty days notice, I have no idea. However, this is the best incentive for me to clear out my bedroom closet that anyone could ever have devised.
Enjoy the weekend.
12 comments:
they did not give you notice? that is ridiculous...dont you need to cover things? ugh what a headache and lots of work...
Who is responsible for this...outrageous
That DOES seem like awfully short notice! I think if you bag things up or cover them with plastic you don't need to wash everything -- at least, that's how it was back when we had our house tented. (Admittedly, that was 30 years ago! They probably use different chemicals now.) I don't remember doing anything special with our clothes and linens -- but then, in the early '80s we had a disturbingly intimate comfort level with chemicals. :)
The community board and the management company and the pest control company. There is one person on the board who lives here and as her building is not affected...the others own rental units, none in this building.
No notice? This is wrong. I don't know what I would have done, even though I've been trying to cut down on all my stuff and have got rid of so much, I could never manage to wash everything. Anything involving chemicals is such a trial.
Ooh. That sounds dangerous.
I made a long comment about fumigation but it disappeared. In a nutshell, I wouldn't allow my flat to be fumigated if the chemicals are so dangerous I have to wash and clean everything before re-use.
Nick,
I don't have a choice, and would you rather termites consume the flat or indeed the entire building?
According to the manufacturer, it is a gas that leaves no residue, but I was told to wash everything...so a shit load of work for me.
Ah, I didn't realise it was that serious. If it's actually a fundamental structural issue, then maybe there's no alternative. We don't really have any similar threat here. We don't have termites in the UK, we only have woodworm, which are nothing like as destructive and can be controlled with a lower-grade pesticide.
Post a Comment