Monday, June 10, 2013

Miscellany...

The weather forecast was true to form last week. Not a glimmer of sun to be seen, though it has been quite humid and uncomfortable outside. Apart from researching a new drug plan and doing the requisite household chores, I did venture out with a new friend to a small restaurant in another neighbourhood on Wednesday.

Found amid a clutch of retail shops and town homes, this little Greek cafe provided a filling and economical lunch. I had grilled falafel on a small salad with a side of hummus and pita. My friend had the falafel sandwich.

 It would have been nice to roll around the shops for a bit afterward but the rain stymied that idea. Sadly, I do not live in a "walkable" locality, and there is not enough green space for my liking generally, so when I come upon an area that is walkable or rollable, in my case, I seize the opportunity. Another time and with photos.

Thursday was horrid as Tropical Storm Andrea made her presence known. Lightening, thunder and rain gutters overflowing. Everywhere. I was on my way to a medical appointment when a radio broadcast on the bus told people to get off and stay off the roads unless driving was an emergency. Apparently, no-one here heeds such advice because crashes and rescue vehicles were widely in evidence.

When I reached my destination and was waiting for the physiotherapist, the lights in her office kept flickering on and off, just as they had done at home. I wondered why anyone would stay open in such conditions but she is so booked, I don't think she felt she had much choice.

I got soaked on my way into the bus for the return home and found my teeth chattering as I reached the door of my flat. Once inside, I turned on the heat, something unheard of in our humid summer months. That gave me time for a cup of tea and a hot shower. The cats and I soon fell asleep listening to the steady pelting upon our rooftop.

While Andrea has since dissipated, rain, particularly in the late afternoon, is never a stranger during Florida summers. I think that the blacktop one sees everywhere here contributes to the blistering heat people love to complain about, too. Apparently, this state has been a developer's paradise, and the price the average person pays is to deal with the many and varied consequences of over development...Ask anyone who has had a sink hole...

But I digress. The weekend was much calmer, though still wet. Friday night services were lovely, and I eventually found myself in a space of complete rest and quiet. You know, finding that still, small voice inside is a rare event for me, and one that I look forward to, like a present given simply "because." I don't regard myself as mystical or extremely religious, but that sense of connection is profound and is something each of us seeks in our own way.

Until Next Time...

11 comments:

Secret Agent Woman said...

Even well away from the coast, we got a lot of storm activity from Andrea. Nothing like yours, though, I know.

I love those moments of serenity.

Brian Miller said...

i hear you on the connection...i think we do all seek that one some level...we go socked with rain last week...and tonight got warning of another potential derecho which knocked us out of power for a week last year....ugh....

Steve Reed said...

Navigating those summer storms -- especially a named storm -- is hard enough for anyone! I can't believe you had to turn on the heat when you got home. That IS unheard of in summer! Was the bus air-conditioned? Sometimes cold air conditioning is worse than just living with the ambient temperature, I think.

Ian Lidster said...

Having been through a few tropical storms in Hawaii and Mexico I can completely empathize with your feelings.

e said...

Me too. Thanks!

e said...

I hope you retain power and you're right about the connection...part of what makes you such a good writer.

e said...

Yes, the bus was air conditioned. They have to be, and the cold air added to the wet did me in.

nick said...

Sink holes seem to be very rare in Britain but extremely common in the US - especially in Florida. I wonder why that is? At any rate, it must be a hell of a shock if you're suddenly sucked into one.

Yes, those unexpected moments of complete calm and serenity are wonderful, aren't they?

Maria said...

Such a crazy Summer. It has finally arrived here on the prairie, but just last week, Bing and I huddled up in blankets while we watched our daughter pitch in her softball game.

And rain? I haven't had to hand water my garden even once this year. Every three days, we get a soaking rain. What a change from last year when we were in a terrible drought with temps in the 100's for weeks on end.

I feel as if a big climate change is very, very near.

37paddington said...

It sounds like a tough commute and yet the feeling this post left me with was the grateful sleep you fell into with the rain sounds on the roof and then the deep state of peace you attained at services.

Jenny Woolf said...

I am glad you have had one of those connected moments. They are rare and so valuable. I believe that people who meditate, etc. get them quite often. I keep meaning to try but I am too restless.
I can't believe you had the heating on in summer in Florida. WOW!!!!