Monday, April 9, 2012

Random Thoughts...

During the days of Passover, it is common to talk about the Passover story and escape from bondage and what it means and meant to an ancient people to be free. It is also a time to remember those who suffer from oppression of any stripe today even as we celebrate to coming and bounties of Spring.

Though we live in a world unfathomable to ancient peoples, enslavement abounds. Individually, this can include addiction, overspending, workaholism, depression and a host of other problems. Collectively, it can mean political, economic or social disenfranchisement, all of which are occurring on this planet as I write.

Humans, it seems to me, possess uncanny abilities and large brains, most of which fail to be used as they should be. Those who doubt this have only to look at politicians, both modern and historical, and the in-fighting and posturing that constitutes so-called leadership. Examples from other arenas of life are unfortunately just as prevalent and too often as far-reaching in their consequences.

I am daily discouraged if not disgusted by the lack of progress made in dealing with human problems, many of which we bring upon ourselves or foist upon others with impunity. As an individual, there are many things which impact my life over which I've no direct control. I am left with the decision about my reactions to them and how those reactions will effect and shape my own behaviours in the present and future.

While much of my daily life is consumed by a series of mundane tasks, more of it is being directed outward as I search for ways to improve life on my patch and give something of my time and talents back to my larger community. Some might label these efforts altruistic. I see them as ethical and obligatory, both as a Jew and as a human being.

During this season, as we celebrate Spring, there is also a yearning that some have voiced as hope for a better world. Hope is futile, however, without action, and this is something none of us can afford to forget.

Until Next Time...

6 comments:

helen tilston said...

I love this post and I agree with many of your points of view. Hope you are enjoying the beautiful spring like weather.

Helen x

the walking man said...

What disgusts me is them in America who are truly oppressed are so easily duped into believing that with "hard work, effort, and struggle" they too will be upper crust. Oh that dangling carrot that's used to make ones labor into spun gold for their owners.

I have to agree that I hear a lot of wigwagging of the tongues about hope and change but the proof is in the pudding. Don't tell me, show me, then we'll work together. Politicians especially and their think tanks...I wish they'd all be quiet unless it is the sound of their grunting under their labor or wiping sweat from their brow from an honest days work.

nick said...

Like you, I am "disgusted by the lack of progress made in dealing with human problems". So many social and political problems are as bad now as they were when I was a young boy. I think human brains are totally inadequate for the job, all too subject to anti-social vices of one kind or another which perpetuate the same old messes and disasters. Maybe one day earthlings will work out how to upgrade this badly-flawed component.

the fly in the web said...

It saddens me how institutions pervert their founding idea. I agree - giving back is a moral obligation.
What worries me is that, our masters having removed any effective democratic control of their activities from our hands, the response to injustice will be violent - and that will harm all of us, guilty and innocent alike.

Barbara said...

Well said! Our seder at friends' house this year was heavy on food and light on the discussion that I most enjoy during Passover. You have given me some interesting things to ponder as I try to pursue activities I view as ethical and obligatory!

Val said...

so very true - we have much to learn as a species! technology masks our lack of evolution