Today was beautiful, very windy and cooler than it has been. The weather reminded me of Springtimes past, when in my twenties, I would find it necessary to wrap up or wear a jacket for warmth against the wind's chill.
I awoke later than normal and after some daily clearing up, called a neighbour to see whether he felt up to an outing. We dropped the post for an early-morning pick up tomorrow and ended up at a high-end grocery where I bought fresh strawberries and a small bottle of English Double Devon Cream, something most stores here do not carry as it is shipped from England. I buy it only during strawberry season. It is a hold over from my childhood and something my mother purchased when she could find it, which was rarely, since we lived near the equator and luxuries like double cream were almost as impossible to find as they were to justify due to their expense.
After grabbing a coffee and perusing the books at another store, we headed home. What should have been late Sunday lunch for me became instead an early supper of fresh steamed veg followed by a handful of succulent strawberries atop a shortbread crowned with a dollop of cream. Not my usual frugal fare, but what is the point of living if one cannot sometimes enjoy indulgences?
I generally thrift shop for clothing other than lingerie and only buy other items on discount. I do not purchase most music, books or film unless gently used, preferring to borrow from the library system, and usually avoid shops entirely unless I need something specific. Today, however, I broke down and bought a hardcover from an author whose PI series and heroine I've enjoyed since the early eighties. It was discounted so I did not feel too much of a pinch. People who know me well have sometimes remarked at my lack of a shopping gene. I aim for conscious consumption. Having read a book entitled Your Money or Your Life and completed an honest appraisal of my spending habits years ago, I know how to live within a budget, but that does not always square with life from a chair. I continue to confront challenges in this regard.
It is unfortunate that there is only one used book store in this neighbourhood and no farmer's market. The nearest is all the way across town and is held on Fridays during working hours. While there are small produce stands here and there, all require a car to reach and many are not accessible by bus. Additionally, if I use the bus service which comes door to door for those with disabilities, I am restricted to two bags, both of which I must be able to carry on and off the bus myself.
Since it is difficult to self-propel and collect groceries using a wheelchair, I utilise a weekly grocery delivery service. Although this has worked well up to now, fees are set to increase due to rising fuel prices and I will have to curtail my usage or cut it out altogether. My grocery bill is one area that requires constant monitoring and adjustment. Another is food and medicine for the resident felines, whose Lysine I can purchase online for far less than what the veterinary practice, now owned by corporate giant VCA, charges.
Several bloggers I read have implemented "NO Spend Days." Since I'm gone from home several days each week and must travel by bus to get to the desired destinations, I'm not sure these would work for me since bus fare is involved, but I can certainly consider cutting back.
Any ideas?
Until Next Time...
3 comments:
Honestly even with all the money in the world I think I'd still be a library girl. I love that I can take and enjoy anything off the shelves but don't have to store, care for, or ever pack and move any of it myself. Let somebody else take care of it!
It looks as if you're already very careful about your spending habits, and don't waste money unnecessarily. Hard to see what more you could do. Why am I not surprised that the vet owned by the big company charges so much more for a basic medicine?
$30 per container as opposed to 13.99 for Lysine, for example...Thanks for coming around, Nick.
Post a Comment