Tuesday, January 31, 2012
Sunday At The Opera
A friend who ushers at the opera here got me and another friend tickets to Cavalleria Rusticana and I Pagliacci on Sunday, surprising us both. We sat in the mezzanine level which offered great views of the stage and the orchestra pit. The music made all the difference as the acoustics were terrific. While it was unfortunate that I forgot my dad's opera glasses, and could not note all of the expressions worn by the performers, everything I did see and hear was lovely. Our opera company, in existence for seventeen years, has grown phenomenally and is widely and consistently supported by individuals and businesses throughout this area. The performances on Sunday were delightful. As an opera fan, I can tell you that a live performance trumps all else. I am fortunate in my friends and will remember this as a rare and special treat.
Playbill courtesy of the Straz Center and OperaTampa.
Labels:
Fun Stuff;
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

9 comments:
Tampa has an opera company?! I had no idea! Glad to hear the performance was enjoyable.
That sounds wonderful! I am an opera fan and you are right, nothing beats a live performance.
A good friend, your friend!
Yes, on both counts, Fly. I hope the Mr. is in good spirits?
How many times over the years have you been back? We've come out of the cultural backwater at last...
You know, I'm ashamed to say I have never been to an opera.
I'm not an opera fan at all, which is a shame since Jenny loves opera. Good to see the opera house thriving and so well-supported. Belfast has a so-called opera house, but it mostly puts on mainstream "entertainment" rather than opera since there's no Belfast Opera Company. The Welsh National Opera comes over occasionally.
If you ever get the chance to go, there is nothing like seeing a liver performance.
I see we both had a musical weekend,
as I went myself with a friend to see the Threepence Opera.
Way too long for my back as there was no intermission...
but I'm glad I saw it.
It was an interesting production, at the Usine C.
:)~
HUGZ
There is nothing like a live performance of an opera to transport oneself from our earthly shackles. Heaven on earth, so glad you enjoyed yourself.
X David
Post a Comment