Thursday, November 17, 2011

Treasures: A Theme Thursday Post

My treasures as a child included books sent to me by the various Aunts in my mother's family. These included E.B. White's Stuart Little, Charlotte's Web, Anne of Green Gables and Lamb's Shakespeare For Children. My maternal grandmother contributed to my reading horizons by keeping and permitting me to read original editions of Nancy Drew and the Bobbsey Twins which I believe had belonged to my mother.

A Tale of Two Cities, Johnny Tremain and Jack London's Call of the Wild were likewise devoured as was Louisa May Alcott's Little Women. I also enjoyed Madeleine L'Engle's series and by high school, had cracked open Jane Austen for the first time, along with Walden Pond, Silas Marner, and Shakespeare. Chekov plays were next and then, oddly, I began to read history, biography and eventually found my way into economics and the books of American academic Robert Reich. A friend introduced me to Camus and Zola, which I read in translation. During my undergraduate days I took several Spanish lit classes, sampling the literature from Spain through the Americas and Caribbean.

Today, sadly, my cache of books is small as I no longer buy but borrow from libraries and friends. Other treasures include my cats and a collection of art depicting parts of my childhood home in Panama, a small jewel of a country most often only known for its canal.

Reading widely and often is a habit first cultivated by my mother and grandmother. It has been a gift and treasure beyond measure. While possessions pass through my life, pets lives end and homes alter, I have been able to share books and all that can enliven the imagination or spark ideas or discussion.

What treasures remain important to you?

Until Next Time...

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Photographs without a doubt...if there was a fire they'd be one of the first things I'd grab.

We've read a lot of the same books.

SP

Kris McCracken said...

I think that the public library system here in Tasmania is a TREASURE of the highest order!

Sub Radar (Mike) said...

Aww this post makes me want to read Stuart Little and Charlotte's Web again.

My favorite treasure is a silver Einstein coin that my dad gave to me growing up, reminds me to always be scientific in my daily pursuits!

Brian Miller said...

nice...i did my kids but i love books too they are a def treasure and opened up my early life to so much...and spurred the imagination...

Betsy Brock said...

My hubs would certainly agree with you...he does love his books!

the fly in the web said...

In the U.K. I relied on the superb public libraries...and how I regretted not buying books faced with the penury of same in France!

Mrsupole said...

After the grandkids I think books would qualify as the next best treasure. One can never have too many books, well as long as you have room for them. But books are so important because they can take you to a world of treasures.

I too have read a lot of those books and when in Panama we shared books with other families. Not an easy place to get books. I think I gave away all I had when I left there.

Thanks for playing in this weeks Treasure Theme Thursday. Lots of memories and treasures shared.

God bless.

the walking man said...

The spirit of creation that lives within, my wife & kids, and my memory are the only treasures I have. Everything else is just stuff that comes and goes.

Kate Hanley said...

I think we have the same tastes because I read many of the same books as a kid. Right now, I'm rediscovering The Good Earth, my friend was giving away his copy and I picked it up and haven't put it down. I forgot how good it is. Lovely post, brought back a lot of memories.

The bike shed said...

I was just commenting on another blog about a similar issue. I hate 'stuff' accumulating when it becomes just clutter, but precious things are part of us. I love my books my other silly collections - my photographs I treasure, my sketchbooks - none of these are clutter!

Barbara said...

What an interesting post! I have loads of genealogical research that defines the origins of my family -- mostly the Norwegian side. I have way too much of my schoolwork and other childhood memorabilia. I have things bought in the far corners of the world. I have my mother's engagement ring now made into a pendant. I have family photos. And I have recipes passed down to me from my mother. I have little things made from nothing by my father. I have photos of my children. Enough treasures for a lifetime.

I loved all those books you listed. The mention of them made me want to read them all over again.

RLM Cooper said...

Anyone who treasures a cat is ok in my book. True, pet's lives end but they remain with us in memory. I've had so many wonderful feline friends and companions. I truly do treasure them all.

e said...

Hello Everyone,
I realise I'm a bit behind in returning your comments.

SP: Photos are irreplaceable but if I was faced with a quick exit or none, preference would be given living things. As far as the books go, I'm glad we've read several of the same. I could have banged on about more favourites, but those were the best of them.

Kris,
All libraries should be treasured; unfortunately, not everyone has access to libraries or the quality coming from the UK or US.

Sub-Radar-Mike,
I sometimes sneak into the kid or young adult sections to see what they're reading...I have some coins and watches as well.

Brian;
Are you sharing your favourites with the boys? My bet is they'll grow up loving to read and write as you have.

Betsy: Thanks.
Fly: It is a shame for libraries to suffer or cease to exist. I've no experience with French libraries, why are they so underfunded?

Mrs: Thanks for coming by.
Walkingman: Memories can be the best treasures.

Kate; Thanks and happy reading...Do you read to your kids?

Mark; You're right on both counts about the clutter and the collections.

Barbara: It sound like you've got a lot of interesting things...Have you read any of the books mentioned to the shelter kids?

AngelMay: You're right...I'd be a bit lost without my feline friends...

Maxwell Mead Williams Robinson Barry said...

kids, books, they are both wonderful gems,

Happy Sunday,
amazing entry.

Barbara said...

I have not read any of the books you mentioned to the shelter kids, but they gave me ideas for future picks. I'm thinking they would love Charlotte's Web and they were born after the video was so popular. I'm always on the lookout for books where the hero is not a middle-class white kid!

I Wonder Wye said...

Loved the same books as a child -- also Little Women, The Borrowers, the Penrod books, and Laura Ingalls Wilder...we were huge readers and our family thought nothing of reading all night in the same room...