Monday, November 28, 2011

Rainy Days And Catching Up...

It is raining and dreary here today. After the glorious weather of the last couple of weeks, it's rather a let down although I suspect Mother Nature always knows what she is doing. I was invited for Thanksgiving festivities at the home of a friend and his partner at which four generations were present, from age 92 down to three weeks. It was a wonderful time, and everyone seemed genuinely happy to be there. Friday, my generous hosts came by the flat and took me to lunch. Over the weekend, I completed holiday shopping and had the flat cleaned by a neighbour, all without breaking my budget.

Sunday as I was foraging in the fridge and pantry, it occurred to me that the ingredients for a potentially tasty vegetarian stew were to hand. The recipe, which was more of a happy accident than any planning, is listed here. I must stress that my cooking is very basic. I strive for taste and nutrition. This recipe can be easily altered should your taste be different than mine.

Ingredients

1 pound dried Red Lentils, washed and sorted
2 Large Red Potatoes, washed and cubed
2 Cups Turnip Greens, Fresh or Frozen, chopped
6 Organic Carrots, washed and chopped
2 Cups Organic Vegetable Broth
2-4 Cups Water, depending upon desired consistency
3 Tablespoons Light Olive Oil
Generous portion of Ground Coriander, to taste

Method

Cube potatoes and cut carrots
Add Olive Oil to Slow Cooker and gradually add in and cook carrots and potatoes until slightly softened. Add remaining ingredients and cook on low setting for about two hours. I used frozen Turnip Greens, but spinach or another veg of your choosing could be used.
Add the coriander and stir through in the final hour of cooking.

Do not substitute fresh celantro for the ground coriander. Both have distinctly different flavours. Coriander is the seeds of the celantro plant roasted and ground, from what I read.

This was actually better the second day. My neighbour, who was not raised eating lots of veg, tasted this and then wanted some to take home. He loved it. That made my day.

I also have a wonderful recipe from Shaheen, a blogger in Scotland. Her blog, allotment2kitchen, is always a fun and interesting read for me as I like vegan recipes that are nutritious and fun to make. She is  lovely about answering any cooking-related concern. Thanks, Shaheen!

Until Next Time...

17 comments:

Barbara said...

Looks like my kind of recipe. You can't go wrong with ingredients like those listed. A rainy day is a good day for cooking...

Brian Miller said...

so the stew was good?

Sub Radar (Mike) said...

Mm I'll have to save that stew in my recipe book.

Steve Reed said...

Mmmmmm...lentils!

Anonymous said...

Your Thanksgiving, with all those generations together,sounds wonderful.

I'd have loved to have been there.

On These Spindrift Pages - A journal of nature, thought, and the reflective life. said...

Thank you so much for this recipe. This sounds wonderful. I might have to print it out and try it at home! (I love cooking!!)

the walking man said...

The dietician i have been working with would love you and your soup...me I can get with the first but it's enough that I have taken red and processed meats out of my diet.

Kate Hanley said...

This came at a perfect time as we are trying to cut back more on meat and looking for good vegetarian dishes to make. Yum, it sounds delicious!

the fly in the web said...

One of my sorrows is the price of red lentils in Costa Rica....reminds of moving to France and only being able to find pudding rice on the shelves!
Thank you for the blog introduction, too.

nick said...

Mother Nature may have known what she was doing at one time, but now she's being mucked about something awful by Climate Change....

That looks like a great recipe. We often cook enough food for two days and find it tastes even better on the second day as all the flavours have mingled perfectly.

Shaheen said...

Thank you so much for the kind words e x. Much appreciated.

I love the generous fresh coriander in your stew. Its my favoruite herb.

The bike shed said...

catching up on posts and followers blogs after a busy month - thanks for your generous comments and support

Cait O'Connor said...

My kind of thing too and just right for a cold day like today.thanks.

Alan Burnett said...

Now I am an awful cook : but the description alone wafts warm and pleasant aromas all the way across the Atlantic.

Dominic Rivron said...

Basic? Taste and nutrition? Sounds wonderful. I am vegetarian and enjoy nothing more than making what gets called "vegetarian sludge": random selection of vegetables fried up with onion. Throw in tinned tomatoes then leave to simmer.

Italian variation: add herbs garlic and pasta. Indian variation: add curry powder instead and serve with rice.

French Fancy... said...

So glad you are still in the blogosphere e

xx

notmassproduced said...

Thanks for your comment :) I still haven't posted that picture to you...it's in it's envelope and everything ready to be posted...will try and post it this week!! thanks for the recipe x