Glancing out the window of her bedroom, the woman noticed changes in the sky. The gradual progression from blue to shadowy gray signaled the beginning of her favourite time of day, dusk. Pulling away from her desk, she shut down her computer, temporarily freeing the room and herself from its almost omnipresent fan, a noise she had grown so accustomed to that it barely dented her consciousness anymore, furthering her belief that the world had become one large cacophony of overbearing sound.
As much as she used and saw the benefit of computers and other forms of technology, this barely fiftysomething often found herself longing for silence, for life beyond the screen, a symphony of cicadas and frogs found at the heart of Spring, beyond the walls of small flats, shops and businesses now dominating almost every suburban landscape.
Adjusting her grip on the rims of her chair, she rolled out of the room, pausing to turn so she could see beyond the flats' open screen door. A faint breeze, punctuated by alternating frogsong, swept into her thoughts as she noted the lone car in front of her building. Making her way to the building's backside, she entered its carefully tended courtyard, a haven of trees and pruned hedges that temporarily kept the din rising from the adjacent rodeway at bay.
In this spot, as the sun set, it was easy to forget the cares of the day. Closing her eyes for just a moment, she concentrated on slowly inhaling and exhaling, an exercise practised daily in her former life as a student of hatha yoga. She was soon still and almost asleep when the blaring claxons of an ambulance broke her calm...
13 comments:
delish...love the description of the moment...and the clatter of the ambulance at the end breaking its peace...
Carefully crafted - and full of hints and images.
I noticed - she rolled out of the room, pausing to turn so she could see beyond the flats' open screen door.
Doesn't hatha yoga have some connection to the moon, or am I just imagining that?
Mark
PS And thank you so much for your donation. Encouragement means a lot to me. But you know, regardless of that, Whizz-Kidz is a truly great charity to support.
I'll let you know how I get on - in the meantime, many thanks once again.
Oh, I wonder what the ambulance is for? I do agree with you about the constant background noise we're all exposed to. Total silence is wonderful on the rare occasions I come across it - mostly when I'm hill-walking and 1000 feet up.
Like the computer fan I have to see the red lights because no sirens around here make it through to my consciousness anymore.
I like the movement in this....movement in time, in place in sounds...
Hi E
I've been away for what feels like forever, but as usual have to catch up on every missed post!
I'm also enjoying the latest posts just as much as your other readers are! Sorry to hear in earlier posts that things were not sounding so positive in various aspects ...hopefully things are looking up again by now?!
sorry to hear you have some tough decisions ahead of you...sigh...sounds familiar. I have been a supporter of Best Friends since 97...it's brilliant, isn't it? I want to go out and volunteer for a week in the cat house...
Just a lovely bit of stream-of-consciousness beautifully rendered.
This is why I'm willing to drive for over an hour to take a 45 minute walk.
Nice to visit here and love your descriptive writing...something I would love to be able to do. Thank you too for your lovely message on my blog...it really lifted my spirits when I read it.
time to start entering your fiction to contests -- so many out there - it's fun!
You are an excellent writer. You painted pictures with your words that I could clearly see.
It does seem a bit autobiographical! :) It will be interesting to read the next installment...
I love the way you transport the reader to your location!
Post a Comment