Monday, November 1, 2010

Election Day Blues...

I read online today courtesy of the Miami Herald that two million votes have already been cast in this state thanks to the convenience of early voting. This includes one million absentee paper ballots, one of which was mine.

Reading and researching the amendments on the ballot here is always interesting. One begins to wonder who writes these things and whether they are paid by the level of obfuscation reached.

Another interesting local tidbit involves a county commissioner whose name, when I voted, was still on the ballot. His name has now has been removed due to what amounts to chicanery, something unfortunately not unheard of in politicians or lobbyists.

Rather than watch several hotly contested races, I will be at hospital for PT in the late morning and then do some necessaries in the neighbourhood. Since I make it a point to live sans telly, I escaped most of the vitriolic rantings of those running for office, something that seems to worsen with each election.

I do read and look up voting records; I also look up amendments and examine endorsements, occasionally casting a cynical eye toward the editorial pages to see if those with views often not my own have any valid ideas or points worthy of consideration. I have also written the odd letter to my governmental representatives. Only once did I received a reply. Having marched in both the state and national capitols and stuffed envelopes for various pols over the years, I have grown cynical.

As a registered voter since the age of eighteen, I have also seen parties come and go, voting manipulation, politicians I would never invite home for a chat let alone put in office, and all manner of obfuscation and avoidance of the job for which some politicians were elected, as well as low voter turn out.

I am now one of the disaffected, a situation I fear permanent. I hope tomorrow turns out better than I anticipate it will.

Until Next Time...

10 comments:

Brian Miller said...

nice. i adhere to no particular party...T and i sat here tonight and reviewed the candidates so we can go in the morning...

Michael said...

Well at least you are reading up on the issues, e! I hate to say this, but with my recent moves, I have not looked up anything and am not sure I am even registered so will not be voting at all. With now TV too and intermittent internet lately, I doubt I shall keep up too well anyway.

Hope you are well.

the walking man said...

I will walk in vote my conscience and be prepared to live with the consequences. The choices are not mine to make when the last vote is counted, but at the least mine will have been counted. There is nothing more that I can or will do.

nick said...

There's an awful lot of people disaffected with politics and politicians these days. The electoral turnouts in the UK continue to drop steadily. Chicanery, lies, broken promises and ignoring public opinion (e.g. on the Iraq War) are unfortunately what we now routinely expect from our so-called public servants.

I still think it's important to vote though, despite the temptation to say a plague on all your houses.

the fly in the web said...

It just seems to me that decent people...the ones you would like to have represent you whatever their views...avoid politics like the plague, fearful of the corruption machine.

Ian Lidster said...

Disaffection seems to be the nature of life with voters these days. It certainly is for me. How could it be otherwise?

Barbara said...

I have this fear our government may be too broken to fix. I would just love some encouraging sign that politicians are willing to work together -- across party lines if necessary -- to do what is right and not just to get themselves re-elected. My worst fear is the new crop may not even know what is right! How's that for pessimism?

tut-tut said...

not many do the research you do, e! the red tide rolled over us yesterday, including a new congressman who billed himself as a small businessman" throughout the campaign, but in reality he is a trial lawyer. What a mess.

Anyway, there is a group on Facebook reading Joyce's Ulysses; I haven't gotten very far, but you might want to join in!

Anonymous said...

I do understand you being cynical about all this.You got a great mind darling.I don't know about USA but I know about here,those politicians,they're all corrupted.Dissatisfaction in on the menu here too,trust me.

English Rider said...

Thanks for visiting me. I'm here to return the courtesy. I voted by mail also. As a "decline to state" I too read and vote for the candidates and issues I believe in, across party lines.