I was asked by an acquaintance, "What is the strangest thing you have ever seen through a window?"
My mind flashed in a million different directions, each conveying images grown distant with time. After a momentary pause, I related the following story.
As teens a friend and I often spent dinners together. As I was helping with the washing up afterward one evening, I noticed a strange white Cadillac slowly approaching the houses in the neighbourhood.
These houses were all two-storey, built on stilts and in a circle. The kitchen windows, well above the street, afforded a view of everything that went on. Early evening was normally quiet.
My friend and I could see the Cadillac but did not get a clear view of the driver until the car stopped suddenly. A man wearing a Panama hat and a long-sleeved white guayaberra emerged, shut the car door and glanced around.
At this point, my friend and I wondered if he might be lost or worse, planning a robbery. I was about to fetch her parents when laughter broke out. Turning slightly, I noted my friend pointing and followed her gaze until the man's side came into
view. Shock gave way to giggling as we realised he was urinating in the street, a far from normal occurrence as far as we were concerned.
It was odd to see a well-dressed,middle-aged man in a luxury car using the street as a bathroom and we wondered aloud whether he might be drunk, though his movements gave no hint of this.
I dropped the plate I had just washed into the sink and watched as the man wiped himself with a handkerchief, got back into his car and drove off into the setting sun, his actions forever a mystery.
12 comments:
as strange as this may sound...i saw someone use the bathroom in the yard of a house in miami...i wish they had been urinating...
Wow...
So sorry you had to see that. I wonder why he did not venture indoors?
Surely someone would have allowed him to use a bathroom...
That's a great story. Sad to say but I can't think of anything interesting that I've seen through a window. But if I do see something unique, I'll let ya know! : )
OK, I thought there was going to be gunfire or something. But I'll settle for urination. :)
(Was this in Panama?)
Well,just drive through France..men peeing where ever you stop for your picnic.
The first time I ever met my next-door neighbour in the house-before-the-house-before-last was on looking out of the window one night and seeing him having a pee in the garden.
Better to pee in the street than in your pants and if your quick about it you can be gone before the shocked neighbors call the cops. Not that I would know anything about that.
I see so much strangeness out my windows that I actually have to go sit on the porch to make sure i get the whole show, dialog and action.
I have to say that I've seen this often in London.Men in suits after work getting pissed and urinating in the streets..what Brian says,thanks God never!
I was a bit sheltered in my youth, apparently.
As an adult, I've encountered more public peeing, sometimes unintentionally and at others, because the persons involved simply did not care that they were in someone's front garden, along a street or drunk in a public venue.
We always made sure to not have any windows overlooking us.
I'm exaggerating. It was one time. But I will never forget it and I hope I never have to do it again!
What's amazing to me is that he had no embarrassment at all about peeing in such a public place, regardless of what other people's reactions might be. I couldn't even begin to contemplate doing such a thing....
When ya' gotta go, ya' gotta go! But I think he could have picked a less conspicuous spot.
Post a Comment