Sunday, September 19, 2010

Knackered, But Hopeful For The New Year...

With the end of the High Holy Days, a new year has commenced. Though I'm tired from participating in a 26 hour fast and services throughout the day Saturday, the prospect of a new year brings with it many possibilities.

I feel renewed and ready for whatever comes. I was able to clear the air with a friend last week and spoke to another this afternoon who is facing some challenges regarding a family member's health.

The cats and I had a bit of sleeping in this morning and tonight will be an early one, provided I complete the bill paying and other paperwork at hand. This week, I see the dentist. While routine, visiting the dentist has never been enjoyable, particularly as I have no insurance to cover the costs. He says I'll soon need a crown for over $1300, so I'm hoping the tooth will hold for several more months.

I met a handsome labradoodle service dog and his delightful raiser two weeks ago, and a seed of interest was planted. The dog is being raised to assist a child or an adult who uses a wheelchair. As I have limited experience with dogs, I was initially reluctant around the dog, but once invited to say hello, he was irresistible.

Having already spoken to the feline vet about how to introduce my cats to a dog since they have not been around one...we'll see what unfolds. I am concerned about the costs, exercising and stimulating the dog adequately and bonding properly with it.

From what I have read, labs and mixes such as labradoodles are very smart and require both adequate exercise and intellectual stimulation if behavioral difficulties are to be avoided. I would think that a working dog would have less opportunity for boredom than those kept strictly as pets.

In my wanderings around the web, I encountered a blog about service dogs that has been very enlightening. See http://servicedogsawayoflife.blogspot.com.

If anyone with a labradoodle has suggestions, please feel free to leave comments or send me an e-mail.

Until Next Time...

10 comments:

Jazz said...

Hope the labradoodle works out for you.

Brian Miller said...

nice. the boys want a dog...we have been all cat for years...we might break soon...let me know how it goes...

Barbara said...

Good luck with the labradoodle. They seem like the ideal breed from what I know of them. I'm sure your cats would have their noses out of joint for a while, but they might welcome the diversion, who knows?

I'm really impressed with your mega-fast! I just can't go that long without food and water.

On These Spindrift Pages - A journal of nature, thought, and the reflective life. said...

I've always loved to have a labradoodle. I love yellow labradors. They such gentle, affectionate dogs. Now, consider if you have a labradoodle, would that make your cats monstrously jealous? Thanks for your lovely comments on my blog. It's much appreciated.

Megan said...

The training of service dogs is a really fascinating thing to watch - my cousin did it for years.

Sorry to hear about the possible looming dentist bill - I've got to go soon, myself and I'm NOT looking forward to it!

Let us know how the dog idea develops!

Anonymous said...

I really hope you feel better now,for whatever comes.No I don't have a dog but if I had one would be one like that too.Hope they will get along together.Take care and have a nice day.

SY said...

I wish I had the patience for pets..seems like you have an adventure with your cats

French Fancy... said...

A belated shana tova my friend - although as you know religion and I parted our ways a long long time ago.

As for service dogs - I think dogs are the best thing in the world and if there is a chance you can get one - grab it, e - grab it. The unconditional love of a dog is like nothing else. Go for it!

Anonymous said...

One of my best friends is a labradoodle named Ruby. The dog's owners are naturally good friends as well.
A cross between a Lab and a poodle makes this breed intelligent and devoted. I believe they do not shed which is a plus considering you already have three cats, who needs more fur balls floating around? They do require grooming, a trim about once a month.
Ruby arrived as a crazed puppy and their Siamese cat hid for weeks sleeping on the warm cable TV converter box in the bedroom but eventually it all worked out.
I hope this info was helpful.
X David

e said...

Thanks, David. Ruby sounds like a wonderful dog.