Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Summertime But The Livin' Ain't Easy...

It has been both rainy and hot here the last few days. It was so ugly that a planned outing to see fourth of July fireworks was cancelled. Each of us opted to stay home and dry, so my evening was spent returning telephone calls and watching three very annoyed felines hide as bottle rockets were set aloft by kids in the adjacent neighbourhood.

The updating of my CV and cover letters was stymied by several small power surges and outages for the electrics and computer. I'll get to that after the morning medical appointment tomorrow. I'm to have the first of a two-part procedure to check the thyroid for a growth or tumor. This involves taking an iodine pill that should reveal on x-ray whether anything is amiss, and doing a follow up x-ray on Thursday morning for comparison. If anyone has had this done, I'm wondering whether one should present with an empty stomach and how soon after the pill one can eat?

Apart from these, I've several job-related appointments to set up and some research to do for a bibliography. Like other bloggers, I cannot believe it is July. Time is flying at warp speed, it seems. Life is getting faster just as I've had to slow down a bit.

That said, I'm looking for some decent summer reads. Someone suggested a tome by Thom Hartmann entitled, "Screwed: The Undeclared War against the Middle Class...and What We Can Do About It."

I haven't had time to check out reviews, but unless this book promises a cure for my growing concern and pessimism, I think I'll indulge in something a wee bit lighter, for now at least.

You can expect to see more poems and esseys here, along with a couple of film reviews in the coming days.

Until Next Time...

17 comments:

Brian Miller said...

but...

definitely summer time here...bank clock read 113 this afternoon...

Megan said...

Poems and essays and reviews, oh my!

I don't know if you're a fan of magical reading, but if you are, Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell would keep you busy for a bit...

nick said...

Good luck with the medical checks. I haven't had anything similar myself so can't advise. Good luck with the job-hunting too.

The undeclared war against the middle class? The middle class are certainly having to tighten their belts but I think the working class has always been treated much worse. Predictably, the millionaire class is still thriving.

Something lighter? Have you ever read Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole? Offbeat and totally hilarious.

Steve Reed said...

Hope the thyroid appt turns out OK!

I haven't heard of that book, but I agree -- it sounds like one to fuel negative thought patterns. I've found there's a fine line between staying informed and making myself crazy! Still, I'm sure it would provide some interesting information.

Alan Burnett said...

Yes, good fortune with the medical checks. nd let's hope that the living get's easier.

Jazz said...

Nick is right. Confederacy of Dunces is brillant!

Good luck with the tests.

Leah said...

Megan's suggestion is a really good one, I will second it.

Subby said...

Rain? Where? We could sure use some( and so could me garden )...not that it would end our current heat-wave...!

@Brian, 113???? Sizzle! Makes me glad I work in frozen foods :)

Baino said...

I have a thyroid problem (goitre sounds bloody awful doesn't it but it's not visible) and have to have a fine needle biopsy each year which I have dutifully ignored. Never had the tablet thingy which sounds far preferable to someone poking a needle just a little too close to your arteries for comfort! I imagine the iodine stains the thyroid in some way so I'd probably go nil by mouth until after the first xray just on instinct. Good luck!

the fly in the web said...

Do go for something light to read...just for now,anyway.
What aboutP.G. Wodehouse...always light, but an absolute master of language.

Enchanted Oak said...

For light entertainment, I suggest reading all of Ngaio Marsh's Scotland Yard mysteries in chronological order.
And I join everyone else in wishing you well on the medical checks.

Mary Witzl said...

Baino spoke for me. 'Goiter' sounds about as attractive as 'support hose' or 'double chin', but having that needle thing is a real drag. I hope your tests are painless and hassle-free!

Your poor cats: rain and fireworks are not a feline's best friends, are they?

Greg (Accessible Hunter) said...

Goodluck with your test, I hope it goes well for you.

tattytiara said...

Hope you pas the test! Or fail it! Y'know, whichever is the good result.

tattytiara said...

Oh, and Cynthia's very well, thank you for asking!

e said...

Hello Everyone:

Brian: It is close to 100 here--yikes!

Meg: Thanks. Have you finished Sarah's Key yet?

Nick: I think the middle class is slowly vanishing...We will become a society of the rich and the poor. I will give The Confederacy of Dunces a going over when I have the time. Thanks.

Steve, Leah, Jazz, and Alan: Thanks!

Subby: Unfortunately, our rains are no cure for this heat. I would stay close to the frozen foods!

Fly: I love Wodehouse!

Baino: So happy not to need a biopsy. Enjoy the new job!

Enchanted: Enjoyed those books, too, and thanks!

Mary, Greg and Tattytiara: Thanks for the good wishes!

French Fancy... said...

Good luck with the job hunting - we are sisters in this atm.