Monday, June 28, 2010

What Can I Say?...



I don't yet have the results from the lab for the blood work...

All is quiet at Chez Moi but for an occasional sneeze from my gentleman cat who, it seems, has assumed all rights to the pillows and my side of the bed. This bed-hogging coincided with several visits by someone who will not be coming by any longer. It is as though my male cat is daring me to sleep on the opposite side so that there is no room for anyone extra, apart from his sister cats who sleep at my feet, in the bed.

A bit of jealousy, perhaps? A protective instinct?

Apart from this recent aberration, this moggie is an agreeable sort. A tuxedo or bi-color, at nine, he is on the cusp of feline old age while retaining his curious and playful nature. He tends to vocalise, often calling to me if we are in different parts of the flat. I have read that one should carefully observe a cat's reaction to strangers...Perhaps he picked up on something that I did not with my now former friend. There must be some truth to the belief that tuxes are often smarter than other cats. In this case, he may have even been a bit smarter that his favourite human. If only he could cook, clean and do housework...

I'm off to hospital for my work out, hoping to beat the late day summer rains common in this part of the world.

I'll also be making a few changes to this blog as time permits between projects.


Until Next Time...

14 comments:

Brian Miller said...

smiles. my cat thinks she is hte mother of our children...always checking on them...has not had to protect them yet but...hope you have a wonderful day!

Baino said...

I think they are intuitive although why they gravitate towards those who don't really like them, I'll never know. Sorry to hear he's your only bed warmer these days . . then I share mine with a labrador!

nick said...

Cats sense all sorts of strange things we're not aware of. Some cats shy away from me instantly but others are ultra-friendly. Who knows what they're picking up on?

Alan Burnett said...

Bot heard the term tuxedo cat before. But we use the word differently over here - a tuxedo cat would, I guess, be all white.

On These Spindrift Pages - A journal of nature, thought, and the reflective life. said...

Hello. Thank you so much for your kind comment on my blog. Oh my dear, I didn't realise you've been unwell. I hope nothing too serious. My thoughts and prayers are with you. It must be comforting to have a loving, adorable pet to comfort you at the anxious time. I haven't got a cat (but I LOVE cats) but I have a neighbour cat whom I call "Earl Grey" who comes every now and then to my kitchen and I just like talking to him about my worries. He just sit and listen - such a person-based counsellor! That's what cats are! Don't you agree? xx

Steve Reed said...

As you know, cats are smart. He really is guarding you!

I Wonder Wye said...

Cats are brilliantly sensitive and intuitive that way...I love them all. Tuxedo kitties always look so distinguished. I, personally, have my suspicions about people who don't like or get along with animals - cats in particular -- my late beloved Gogo, a long-hair torti who wore 'gogo boots,' disliked most of the men I dated to the extent I warned Excy when he first came over not to be offended if she ignored him. i turned around and she was in his lap purring! So you could say she picked him!

Megan said...

Hope you are well, my dear. And I'm sorry that your someone will not be coming by any longer, especially if you wanted something otherwise. :(

My tux is still too young to care about much of anything but himself...but he's mellowed a bit over the last month or so. Still not quite enough to suit me, but we're working on it!

I am agonizing over the question of de-clawing him. I just can't bring myself to do it, but man oh man is my carpet suffering as a result. He absolutely won't bother with the scratching post, even with the catnip infusion. Sigh.

Otherwise all is well here. Should have Sarah's Key finished after this long weekend, so post away at the VBC if you like!

xoxo

mouse (aka kimy) said...

just popped over to check in and send you and the kitties some lovin'

mew!!

Dash said...

Hello E, thank you for your lovely comment over at mine, I am sure your cat is instinctively trying to assert his position by sleeping on the pillow! animals have a nose for these things, When MG is away Crusoe assumes the man of the house position and insists on sleeping on MG's side of the bed!! He growls at the slightest noise, ahh protecting me!

I am ashamed to say my knowledge of French literature is shocking which is terrible as I have been living in France for nine years! Still it leaves something open for discovery which is one of the joys of literature, I have read some Victor Hugo but my favourite French author is Marcel Pagnol, I think he is one of the greatest storytellers, up there with F Scott Fitzgerald, Jean de Florette and Manon de source is well worth reading (the films were great but the books are better) as is My Fathers Glory, my Mothers castle, hope this helps.
XXX

e said...

Hello Everyone,

Brian: Cats are generally wonderful to kids they've adopted. I hope you're enjoying the 4th.

Baino: Thanks for the email. I think labradors are far less fickle than humans...

Nick: Cats have individual likes and dislikes and with a cat, one generally knows exactly where one stands...

AB: Tux here refers to the black and white coloration as in dark coat and white shirt...

ASD: It does my heart good to know you are the kind of man who befriends cats like Earl Grey. Take care of yourself and give my best to your lucky feline friend.

Steve: He has done that since I brought him home years ago. He is truely devoted.

Wye: That was GoGo's way of showing you Excy was a keeper! I hope you are well.

Megan: Why don't you get a cheap carpet remnant for Mortimer and some cat nip?

After the shock of the e-mail, I am just as happy as it would not have lasted since the other party has too many issues. C'est la vie!

e said...

Hello Kim and Dash: Thanks for coming over. Kim, all loving gestures are appreciated.

Dash: Thanks much for the film and book suggestions. Funnily enough, the films you mention are in my Netflicks queue. Give my best to Crusoe!

the walking man said...

Every smart remark I can think of at the moment is probably inappropriate between two folks who barely know each other, so I will simply leave them to your imagination.

be well

Saranne said...

Hi there! Thanks for your kind comments on my blog...unfortunately, I pushed delete rather than publish..from one unemployed to another, I DO believe that this will pass! Keep the faith! OX Saranne