Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Theme Thursday: Pets...






This post originally appeared here in 2009...

My pets---Phoebe, Angel and Jacob---mean the world to me. They are all foundlings, and the two girls have never known another human friend or family.
Angel, the geriatric Siamese, is thirteen, and was no bigger than the center of my hand when I found her in a garbage bin years ago. I righted it and out she came---a furry ball of fawn fiestiness, yowling at the world for a crumb, her blue eyes fixed on me from the start.

She has always been high strung and vocal. It took me several years to convince her she did not have to search our kitchen garbage bin for scraps.
Phoebe, a black shadow, is a mix born of feral parents and brought indoors. She doesn't like anyone but me and climbs to the highest spot in our apartment to avoid guests. She's a ham with the other cats, and lives up to the word princess in every sense. Her favorite spot is my lap.

Jacob, the handsome black and white tux, is a gentleman. Affectionate and sociable, he spent months as an orphan before I brought him home on my birthday four years ago. He was an adult then, and the girls were miffed for months over his inclusion in our family, but with one well-aimed swipe of his front paw, he chose me.
Once a cat selects a human, the human has little choice. The love and faith of a cat isn't easily bestowed, particularly if the cat has been abused, orphaned or left to its own devices. Jacob guards the girls and me from intruders. He loves to cuddle and play and is a fanatic for unattended salad greens.

All came with health problems and though indoor, developed and carry feline herpes virus, a highly contagious airborne disease that remains in the cat's body after initial exposure. All receive medication daily. Happily, this trio hasn't had an outbreak in months. They eat well and chase each other around the apartment with an abandon I often envy. Angel and Phoebe, star soccer divas, swoop and dive for balls of paper at every opportunity.

Their lives spared, these three provide hours of fun and lend an element of grace and comfort to our small abode. I believe that we were gifts given to each other, and I wish that humans had more respect for the animals and other life forms on this whirling planet we call home.

Until Next Time...

22 comments:

Brian Miller said...

wonderful we saved our cat from a woodpile...and for 10 + years she is like another child. beautiful pics though....

Jazz said...

At one point I had 5 cats. All given, found... I never paid for a cat, there are so many who need homes. Unfortunately, 3 months after the last died, Mr. Jazz realized that he was allergic - he could breathe easy and his throat not longer itched. It took him 20+ years of cats to realize he was allergic.

Kris McCracken said...

Finding pets in the bin?

Who knew?!?

nick said...

What lucky cats that they are now being so well cared for after their earlier privations. I like the way Phoebe flees to the highest spot when guests appear!

On These Spindrift Pages - A journal of nature, thought, and the reflective life. said...

I absolutely adore your cats. Particularly, Jacob is oh-so-dapper! He reminds me of my cat I used to have as a child called Flossie! I love cats. They are so perfect. When you are with them, you know that everything is going to be alright with this world.

JGH said...

Your cats are so pretty, e, and such personalities! I had a cat that looked very much like Jacob when I was a kid. I think they made a good decision choosing you. I would give anything to have a cat but with my allergies, I'm very lucky to be able to tolerate my little poodle!

Baino said...

Ah I miss my fawn Tonkinese (cross between a Siamese and Burmese) and you're right, they're incredibly vocal. They really do choose their owners though. That's what I like about cats, their aloof independence but if they like you, amazingly loyal.

e said...

Thanks Brian, Baino, Jazz, JGH, Kris, Nick and ASD. My trio love compliments...I'm still a bit blue after the episode outside the workplace earlier in the week...See the post prior to this one...

Linda Bob Grifins Korbetis Hall said...

beautiful cat.
thank you for sharing!

Subby said...

Glad to see all three still doing well, luv ;) Fun post :)

HUGS!

Alan Burnett said...

That is a lovely post which somehow sums up the wonderful relationship that can exist between pet and human.

PattiKen said...

Really nice pics and story. BTW, our "geriatric" Siamese lived to be 20!

French Fancy... said...

Your cats were blessed to find someone like you. You are I are kindred spirits with our pets - there is nothing I would not do for mine. How can people be so callous and cruel?

Linda Bob Grifins Korbetis Hall said...

I just come home from Academic All State Award Ceremony, My older son wins the award among 100 students around the state, it is $1000 in cash.
I am so very tickled by your lovely comment.

Thank you for the encouragement.

Cheers!

C.M. Jackson said...

beautiful pictures and post--I adopted Max as well--

lettuce said...

what a lovely post, and a delight to meet your furry friends


and also -
"unattended salad greens" - hah!

Mary Witzl said...

I love the way you describe your cats and I feel so envious: for years, I had a cat who would only sit in my lap, and now she is gone (sniff).

I come from a family of fantatic cat-lovers and cat-rescuers and I will always carry on the tradition myself. We found our current cat on the trash heap when she was a few weeks old. She was emaciated, her fur and tail matted with diarrhea. She also had giardiasis, flatworms, and roundworms, and we brought her into our house to give her a comfortable death. She is now a healthy, feisty young cat with oodles of personality who can jump straight up, four feet, to catch a fly. But she prefers my daughter's lap...

Mary Witzl said...

I loved the unattended salad greens comment myself. We once had a cat who was crazy about peach peels, and another who would make off with stale bread if we weren't careful to hide it.

I Wonder Wye said...

Your beauties are so full of spirit and love...the truest Zen master is a cat -- and the best cats are ones that have been feral or found...so glad you are enjoying the tea. I am sorry to read about your colleague George...

Linda Bob Grifins Korbetis Hall said...

Happy Wednesday,
lovely cats.

tattytiara said...

All as lucky to have you as you are them. You have a beautiful family, my dear.

karen said...

I loved reading this! Our cats also mean the world to me, and I can't imagine our home without them... even though it's been hard assimilating our 'new' cat, I still wouldn't change anything. Lovely photos. I must go back and catch up on the rest of your blog sometime when I have a bit more time!