Friday, April 30, 2010

Tired But Re-Hired...

We finished the project at work last afternoon, a bit earlier than anticipated, so I am enjoying the three-day weekend and catching up with bills, the flat and other odd bits today. I was to have gone to lunch with a friend, but too many errands on the friends' end cancelled that, unfortunately. Now, I've two hours or so until the weekly grocery delivery arrives, laundry to put away and a nice Earl Grey Decaf, courtesy of Twinings of London, loading me with welcome antioxidants. If I could find this tea in whole leaf rather than bagged, I'd enjoy it even more.

The best news is that I've been re-hired for the next two weeks, and possibly the six weeks following which will bring me to the close of this company's seasonal work schedule. Though mentally demanding, all the work stays at the site, which means a day off is just as it should be, and my time is my own. It also means no work, no pay, so today, I am paid in the gift of time, and will enjoy the end of a French film I began two days ago, a new book and possibly, a nap. I'll also visit various blogs I've missed lately.

Until Next Time...

18 comments:

Baino said...

Good news on the extension but I hate that 'not knowing' I guess I'm insecure and want a full time non contract job. Hard to find these days. I flunked an interview on Tuesday "not the right cultural fit" whatever that means! Another on Friday but also a Government agency so they only hire on 2 year terms. Blah. Enjoy your day off!

e said...

As an employee, I'm contracted for a specific period and my performance and attendance are both appreciated and monitored throughout. There are certain requirements one must meet during training in order to complete the work as well, so many hoops to jump through...The people are highly educated, very nice and some are interesting to talk to, all of which makes the mentally demanding work easier to deal with.

Brian Miller said...

nice on the extension...2-6 weeks is a little breathing room.

Megan said...

Oh, good news!!

The gift of time is one of the best gifts there is. So few of the people on this planet get enough of it!

nick said...

That's good news on the re-hiring. Enjoy the Earl Grey and the rest of the film - and the extra leisure time.

lettuce said...

hello e. Congrats. on the additional work. I hope you have a good restful weekend and that the cats behave

French Fancy... said...

Oh well done, e. I am so glad your employment has been extended. Also that you have some 'you' time now - your lovely cats will be glad to see you back again.

I've also joined an online DVD rental club now so am on the lookout for recommendations.

Enchanted Oak said...

Enjoy your weekend, e. I enjoyed reading your questions and answers. Here's one from me: What is the nicest thing you can do for yourself this weekend?

e said...

Hello Everyone,

Thanks for popping in. Jacob says "Meow" to all bloggy friends. He is reclining atop the printer as I write.

Baino: Too bad about the interview, but asking about the corporate culture and what is expected isn't a bad thing to do as it shows you're aware of that...

Brian: I start right back Monday, so really no breathing room at all...

Megan: You're right...

Nick: Thanks!

Lettuce: I hope you enjoyed your trip, and no, the cats aren't behaving...I would not know them if they did...

French Fancy: I've loads of suggestions as I watch mostly foreign films...I'll give some thought and pop an email to you...

Enchanted Oak: Thanks for your question: I think writing down what I am grateful for, and also getting a bit of extra sleep...

Kabbalah Rookie said...

Have a lovely weekend and enjoy your gift of time. Good to hear that you have an extension for work. I'm not one to say say I told you so but.. "I tol...." :o)

Shaheen said...

Wonderful news on the extention of your employment, but I do certainly hope it is for much longer.

Enjoy your three day weekend!

Greg S. said...

Glad you had a relaxing weekend and also can look forward to staying on for a while. Enjoy!

chitowngreg
http://chitowngreg.wordpress.com

Subby said...

Glad to hear it, luv! The thought of not knowing is, indeed, a bit wearing on one's nerves, yes.

Work is keeping me away from the PC but well worth it to pay the bills off :)

Hugs!

Mike129 said...

Congratulations!

And I am hoping you get something rather more permanent.

Gledwood said...

It's funny you talk about tea as healthy... in the 1970s and early 80s the healthfood tribe pretty much branded it the devil's drink... not just because of caffeine but it was meant to drive you senile and everything, bloody ridiculous!

karen said...

Hi E.. just read the news about your job, and subsequent extension! Hope that the felines have forgiven you by now :)

Steve Reed said...

So glad the job has been extended! Hope you're enjoying the work. :)

Mary Witzl said...

I'm glad you got rehired! As someone who is soon to be unemployed (my own choice, admittedly, but still) it's nice to hear that there are still jobs out there in this less-than-healthy economic climate.

I LOVE Earl Grey loose leaf tea, but I had no idea it was available in decaf. I can drink the full caffeine stuff by the gallon.