Tuesday, February 16, 2010

A View From One Window...

Living in the land of concrete, I am constantly surrounded by sound. From law enforcement to ambulance and fire brigade, to aircraft overhead, and the neighbor's verbal disagreements or the echoes of heels at a brisk pace hitting the pavement en route to a car, the vagaries of existence here rarely escape notice when one is home.


These flats, built in the early seventies,have largely retained their drafty, single-paned windows, allowing not only cold and heat, but too much noise inside.


Initially enveloped in thickets and tall trees which have long since disappeared with the rise in population, this collection is now right off a multi-laned roadway, shielded only by a thin line of trees and a fence.


There are four flats per building in what is commonly referred to here as a walk up. This means that I am also privy to comings and goings on the outside stairs and the street beyond my front door.

Imagine my surprise then when I hear two male voices, late afternoon:


"You must be daft..." (Daft not being an American expression, my ears perk up)

"We can't take this..."


I glance out the front window to see if someone is moving either in or out and then notice a neighbor watching, cell in hand. No U-Haul or company van, no truck and no apparent car...


Just two youngish-looking caucasian men who notice they've been seen and rapidly exit the north entrance.


Sadly, this isn't the first time intruders have come here. I'm just glad someone was watching...


Makes me a bit glad I've not yet put in new windows, too.


Until Next Time...

11 comments:

Barbara said...

It's good you were serving as your "neighborhood watch." I wonder what they might have taken if you hadn't been there.

e said...

I wasn't actually...it was the neighbor with the cell they spotted.

Brian Miller said...

yikes. did my post on an intruder yesterday. glad someone scared them off...

e said...

I just read that post Brian...This was far less dramatic.

Baino said...

We've been so luck living on acreage. I don't lock doors or windows. Our road is being opened up soon to allow peak hour traffic flow and I'm going to have to get a locksmith because I can't find my door key! Goodness knows how I'll cope when we finally move and I have to deal with people close by. I'm glad their 'plot' was foiled though. Worst comes to worst, get a barky companion dog! You'd be surprised who's afraid of even the most placid of pooches.

nick said...

Glad the intruders were frightened off. Fortunately I've never been burgled, I know the experience can be incredibly distressing for the victims.

I think "daft" is virtually defunct now in favour of stronger alternatives like "fuckwit" and "airhead"....

Anonymous said...

Mum once found a body in a lift ( when she lived in a converted hotel )...so glad we moved out of our 3rd level walk-up! And the street noise...! I'd have to use ear plugs to get any sleep at all!

tattytiara said...

Moments like that make me hug my big 100 pounds of love in a scary predator suit pup. Glad they got scared off.

Enchanted Oak said...

Oh, what a curious tale. It could be the opening scene of a murder mystery. You (the narrator) could be the hapless bystander who gets sucked into a plot that thickens by the hour. Finally, forced to tackle the problem on your own due to lack of imagination on the part of law enforcement, you find a brilliant solution no one could have foreseen. Voila!

French Fancy... said...

Oh I thought this was going to lead into you discovering two British men that had moved into your 'walk-up' and you had chatted to them and they were fine.

How wrong I was.

Changing the subject - I notice in your sidebar you mention a 'no hospital day'. I hope that you aren't in pain - been there and know what life can be like with true pain.

Megan said...

I am completely distracted by Enchanted's comment. Wheels within wheels!