.jpg)
Although not a big occasion for me, and something I find cloyingly commercialised in this country, Valentine's Day nonetheless brings back thoughts of flowers, puzzles, cards and other small gifts my mother and I would share when I was growing up. She gave me a Valentine remembrance of some kind until passing away eleven years ago. My favourite is a vegetarian cookbook, which she signed and dated, despite her rather constant disapproval of that choice.
To say that we mixed rather like oil and water during much of my adulthood is no exaggeration; Sadly, that is a situation in which many women find themselves. Still, I can chuckle at the memory of her face as she unwrapped two heart-shaped packages, finding first the right then the left foot of a pair of slippers stuffed and decorated as giant Hershey's Kisses, a gift she eventually wore the batting out of.
They were the only slippers like that that I've seen and I cannot recall where I found them.
Wishing all of you a Happy Valentine's Day.
Until Next Time...
11 comments:
fun gifts...happy valentines to you as well!
Happy Valentine's Day. Jenny and I have given up on cards, but chocolate is essential! Plus an extra big cuddle and lots of kisses!
Happy Valentines to you too,wishing you much love!
Slippers shaped like Hershey kisses, actually worn until worn out--what a great gift of memory for Valentine's Day.
Happy Valentines to you too, e!
Well, yes, it has been rekindled by commercialism too but so has Halloween, even more so, and yet I se so many people do the latter whilst skipping out one focused on love...well ideally anyway. I love Valentines DAy. Never used to be anything I ever did growing up for the most part and even now, not ideal situ to do that but still love the idea of it.
Love the picture with this post!
thats a sweet memory
My mother and I mixed much the same way, but that's all so superficial next to the deep love I had for the woman. Your mother's gift of the cookbook sounds so touching. Happy Valentines day!
I think it's sweet that you have that vegetarian cookbook as a Valentine remembrance!
I bet just like me you think of your mother often and wished you had said/done things in a different way. At the time what we do seems the right way but, when it is too late to do anything about it, well it's then that one would give anything to be able to wrap our arms around her and say 'mum, you were right'.
It was good to find you on my blog. Let's stay in touch
Hi E - so nice to catch up on some of your posts. My mom and I used to sneak into eachothers' rooms in the middle of the night to leave valentine's day presents...nice memories! Best, EB
Post a Comment