Saturday, January 16, 2010

Highlights Of The California Trip: Part I

After leaving my flat at 5:30 AM, the Las Vegas-bound plane took off and made the connecting flight from Las Vegas to Orange County on time. The only glitch was that I was the last to board the connection, so seating was not the best.

Fearful of what airlines often do to chairs, I left Godot at home and took the heavier old fold up that gave me tendinitis prior to getting Godot. As I was pushed and did not self-propel, the prospect of further physical problems was eliminated. Once in OC, I rented a transport chair, which is lighter, easier to fold up and stow and relatively easy to get about in providing one is pushed as there are no wheels on each side that can be used to self propel.

Arriving at lunch time on Tuesday, I was ushered home to eat and unpack, then stepsister and I hied off to her nail salon. While not a place I normally visit, it was nice to feel a bit pampered following all of that flying. I should also point out that the life span of a polish job on me is about three days as I am not gentle on hands.

The next morning, it was off to the hair salon in an attempt to appear halfway human for my lunchtime rendezvous with Megan of All I Need Is Everything.

It was more than disconcerting to realise, once we arrived, that there are no ramps leading from the street to the inside of the building. I had to be pulled up the steps. The salon, located upstairs, had installed an electric chair that glides up and down, taking one person at a time, and the staff were very helpful in folding up and carrying the transport chair. The same cannot be said for the building's owners who apparently don't realise the potential for hazard, let alone laws regarding access. Had I traveled there alone, I would never have made it up those steps, and there are a boatload of issues and assumptions being made when such access is denied.

Lunch with Megan was wonderful. We went to Avila's, a family-owned Mexican restaurant not far from her place of work. The weather was so lovely we were able to sit outside enjoying a faint breeze and an afternoon free of haze from nearby LA.

I found Megan to be as delightful in person as she is on her blog. The only disappointment was that our time together was short as she needed to return to her office. We were so busy talking that neither of us thought about photos.

That evening found me in a fabulous Indian restaurant in Irvine, with stepsister and friend, called the Clay Oven. It was well worth the drive and my tandoori oven roasted eggplant was mouth-watering. The service was as divine as the food. If any of you enjoy Indian cuisine and find yourselves in or near Irvine, this is a dining experience.

Part II of the trip consists of many photos of the Mojave Desert, which is one of the most starkly beautiful places I've seen. Those will be posted as soon as I locate the camera.

In the meantime, sweet dreams!

9 comments:

Megan said...

Sweet dreams to you too! I can report that your hair was absolutely fabulous.

Anonymous said...

How wonderful that you and Megan got to meet each other. I am sure you are both as delightful in person as on your blogs.

Your logistitical nightmare of travelling with a chair has made me realise how easy it is for me. I think all architects everywhere should design every new building (public or private) with sufficient access for a wheelchair. Any thing less than a universal standard is humiliating to chair-users.

That tandoori eggplant sounds divine!

As for the nails...I would love to but never have had mine done! My dance teacher was reassuring me that her acrylic nails last 3 months! I have to keep mine short for work..so maybe one day in the future...

Mrsupole said...

Glad you had such a nice lunch and was able to meet Megan. I can never eat enough Mexican food. That place sounds yummy.

Plus I have only had Indian food a few times, but that restaurant also sounds pretty good to go to. I will have to try it sometime when I make it out to Irvine again.

That place should at least try to make their business more accessible to people with handicaps. So sad when they do not. Maybe they will have learned something.

God bless.

Anonymous said...

e, glad you finally got to meet Megan! As for that building, we've got lots of 'em. The one where I work indicates( or used to )that there were handicapped facilities. First off...there aren't and second; they're on the second level and we don't have a lift or power chair. But at least you had a competent enough staff to be able to assist you and sounds like you made the best of it. Kudos and hugs to you!

lettuce said...

I hope you're feeling better e.

Well, from your report so far it sounds like a wonderful trip. A little disappointed there are no photos of lovely you with lovely megan, but so glad you were able to spend time! and got on!

all my blog meets so far have been like that - just talk talk talk and too little time!

:-)

tut-tut said...

Sounds like a great meet-up! I'm so disappointed you didn't take photos! Next time.

I have never ever been inside a nail salon, so I wouldn't know what to expect!

Brian Miller said...

sounds like beyond the travel woes, you had a great trip. i hope one day to meet several of my blog buddies...

I Wonder Wye said...

That all sounded lovely - but for the damn access part - do they not realize they could be sued for ADA access if nothing else? They are loosing customers as well.....I have been told time and again that access is 'easy' only to find flights of steep steps, no hand rails, a long walk, or a cobbled street......bleh. Any hoo, glad it was a fun trip! The food -- partcularly the tandori, is making my mouth water!

Baino said...

Gawd, I've got hands like an Irish navvy but there's little more relaxing than a manicure except perhaps a massage or a facial. I love Megan. So jealous that you met her. We have so much in common except the Goth teenager thing and I'm not a great fan of toast. And good grief, all that spicy food, you must have had a ring of fire in the morning if you catch my drift! And kudos to you dealing with all that wheelchair stuff.