Rainy and cold, this weekend seemed the perfect time to review my bulging Netflix queue and recently streamed films. Netflix, for those who may be unfamiliar, is an American company which sends movies via mail to its account holders for a monthly fee.
Since their pricing and increasing selection rival cable providers, I elected to rid myself of the old telly and the cable company's bundled packages in favour of my own choices. These include mostly foreign films and British television fare. Except for PBS and the odd movie, I have given up on American television. It's a sure bet that when I enjoy a quirky, dark or comedic series, it is short-lived.
Among the more recently streamed films is Incendiary, a 2008 drama from British director Sharon Maguire. Based on a book of the same title by Guardian columnist Chris Cleave, this compelling adaptation features Ewan McGregor and Michelle Williams. Williams is a young mother who loses her policeman husband and their four-year-old son to a terrorist attack during a weekend football match in London.
The aftermath of these events and their effects on Williams and others is the film's focus, and Maguire and the ensemble of actors do a masterful job. I make no claims at being a film critic and do not want to spoil the ending or the film's twists. Those interested can find out more about the book here: http://www.curledup./incendia.htm. Further information on Chris Cleave is available via his website at http://www.chriscleave.com/main/?cat=5.
Other than that, I'm fretting over the burnt offerings emerging from my small oven, generally smelling up the flat. The postperson's holiday cookies will need re-doing and my heat's on the blink...
Until Next Time...
11 comments:
intriguing...wonder if we can get that film...will have to check it out....open a window and get some fresh air...done that too many times myself.
Never heard of that one, but it sounds interesting! I'll stick in in my queue!
Well, i do hope the heat is back up and working steadily!!
Yes, i quite agree about TV here. It is utter rubbish. i don;t even own a TV. I go elsewhere if I need to watch it for some reason but most stuff I get is from the internet of DVD rentals from Showtime. That sufficea dn I can watch any show's series without the ads too.
Meg: You can stream that film to your computer, no waiting...
Brian: The cold, fresh air was helpful...If you have Netflix, you can stream it to your computer or TV, as I told Megan.
Alas, Mr. Toast, I am not toasty as the heat appears kaput...
You're right about American tv being rubbish, for the most part. Since the television was old, and the govt's analog to digital signal box did not work, I donated the television, and now happily watch from my computer. I did not know one could rent from Showtime...perhaps you'll tell me more...
Thanks for the heads-up. I always welcome ideas for the queue! -Jayne
There's nothing as good as a good movie!I don't watch much tv either I rent movies online too.I like some series though but that's all.I have some channels on line but I don't have a tv ,it broke before we moved out and I didn't buy another.And you know what?Don't miss it.Specially the number one channel in France so full of crap and so "the goverment is deciding what to show you on the news".So I'm the same with you I watch stuff on line till..they will make us pay a tax for that,wait and see.Sad.
Showtime, as you must know, is a DVD/video rental store where you pay a minium fee to rent a movie for a night or a week. I go on Tuedays or Wendesdays when it is only $1. Not only are tehre movies but plenty of entire TV series one can rent. Enjoy!
I really hope your heat comes back on too!! Brrr..
Sorry to hear about the biscuits!
I really enjoy getting my movie through the post for my Saturday night in.
Must admit we download more than hire these days. Sounds interesting and I have a real soft spot for Ewan McGregor! I have no baking talent e so just don't go there! Sorry to hear about the heat, you need one of those blanky things with arm holes! Haha.
Sounds like a remake of some film I saw in the '70s...did your award come through? Can you just click and lift it? (I am a dunce at that kind of thing) Maybe I can try to send it another way..dang, I have 79 movies in my queue!!
Netflix on demand service may be the undoing of the cable companies and their mandatory bundling of stuff we don't want to see.
Post a Comment