Much has been written about the telephone, that precursor to the ubiquitous cell that seems forever plastered to human ears these days.
While it would be easy to report on some obscure, yet historically compelling fact regarding the telephone, I prefer a more personal approach.
It was a telephone call from South Carolina to a local sheriff in upstate New York that first alerted my mother's parents and siblings to my earlier-than-expected arrival. They were without a phone and the sheriff made a visit to the house in which they were staying while on a summer visit to the U.S.
I was born in early August, though not due to arrive until late October.
Phones in those days were used sparingly, and long distance rates being high, one had to either have very good or very bad news before making a call. I'm not sure in which category my birth fell, as all concerned were more than a bit surprised.
Later living overseas, we had few such calls from relations or friends. Letters and cards, however, were prized. When the rare long distance call heralded the birth of my niece in 1972, I was the one to answer the phone and relate the details to my parents who were not at home at the time.
I was also fortunate to speak with one or the other of my maternal grandparents almost daily during my early and middle childhood. As they lived an hour away from my mother and I, this was generally by phone, and no long distance rates applied. We were in the same country, a mere train ride from one another. Having lived with them from infancy through age four, I rarely let an opportunity slip to talk then, a situation that I'm sorry to say, reversed itself dramatically in my teens, and thereafter.
Becoming more reserved, I grew to despise the intrusion the telephone often represented. I have never been one to believe that a ringing telephone should be answered at all costs, to the great annoyance of friends and family. Today, e-mail, which one can send from anywhere at any hour, has largely supplanted the telephone for long distance communication in my household.
That said, I have never forgotten the telephone conversation in which my mother related the unvarnished story of my conception, an episode which left me with the certain knowledge that there are things one's parents should simply keep to themselves.
Of course, the jewel in the crown of these familial missives, which also occured via telephone, left me a bit shocked. I was an undergraduate on a study break and it was Sunday, the day designated for me to call home.
As our conversation concluded, and I said "I love you, mother," she responded with, "You do realise that you were the first in our family to say that before hanging up, and now, your grandparents say it to me, I to them, and all of us to you..."
I had not realised this at all, feckless child that I was...
Until Next Time...
25 comments:
This is a really nice post - it says so much about you whilst just focusing on one subject - I like the personal approach.
Do you still like to arrive early? Or did you think that once was enough? ...
what a sweet post...the first, and i am glad because that is my favorite way to end a conversation with the ones i love.
and there are certain things parents should keep to themselves. smiles.
I am one of those people who does not always answer the phone.
Parents should keep everything to themselves!
I never say I love you to anyone. It is just not me!
What a great post!Really sweet indeed!:)
KR: I always like to be early rather than late...
Brian: Thanks and smiles back to you...
Otin: I hope one day you find someone to whom you can say I love you because you want to...
Candie: Merci, and thanks for your visit...
This post brings up memories - since you mentioned how expensive long-distance could be way back when. When I was young and first married (to a Navy man) and at home with my parents while he was stationed elsewhere, we spoke one evening long-distance for about 45 minutes. The bill came and I was completely shocked. It took my entire allotment check to pay it. Such are the lessons of the young and foolish. But it does make one wonder how come it's so (basically) inexpensive to talk to someone far away now -- but cost your arms and legs then.
E...how funny!
I am one, that resents the intrusion of the telephone ringing...what an annoyance! BUT, I have yet to rid myself of my land line!
some people are better than others at phone talking...for me it depends on the person on the other end of the line...very nice story.
a very sweet post...I always end with "I love you"...even with friends.
much love
A thoughtful post which I enjoyed - but I always enjoy your posts.
Very sweet and personal post..We always close our telephone conversations with "I love you" in my family.
I agree that there is no need to answer the phone everytime it rings. I find the answering machine works wonders for screening:-)..
Reading about how your conception was told to you points out one of the positive aspects of not having to face the one your speaking to.
Thanks for a nice post. I love you, goodbye.
A good tradition to have started! :)
Feckless? Thoughtful, more likely.
What a fascinating post - phones were used sparingly and then all the time and now almost never as we e mail. I'm so glad you started the tradition of saying I Love You. I hope it carries on for generations.
I approve the personal approach!
great memories. lovely post! Thanks for sharing!
It's always nice when kids teach adults something!
You called your 'mother' mother? I have never been that formal but I agree, don't answer the phone at all costs. I say I love you all the time to those I really love and I mean it. I remember long distance costs. It used to be $11 per 3 minutes to call 'home' England from Australia, now I can use Skype and talk for free to anyone in the world. Wonderful.
Family ties are the most inportant function of a phone, at least for me. Happy TT. Glad you liked the poem.
I always find that rather heartbreaking when families don't say "I love you" to each other before hanging up, so for you to bring that int your family is a warmth beyond measure.
I know exactly what you mean about ohone calls before and the treasure of letters. i often thin know different my life would have been when i moved Stateside if we all had email then, let alone phone calls being cheaper!
I have to say, I do miss handwritten notes. My mother used to send me incredibly long, fun one sbut even she doens;t do that anymore. As it is, I have such horrid penmanship, it;s jst as well I don;t send too many---non one could read them anyway.
Nice take on this TT btw.
Oh, adn you asked about how I got intersted in teh subject of learning styles. # things in fact. 1. one of my step mothers worked with deaf students adn told me about this when i was a child. 2. my mother in law workes with learning disabled kids adn places them into schools where their particular style is taught so they can excel. 3. Having homeschooled for some while earlier we learned a fair bit about each child's style.
thank you for asking. I do hope you have a lovely weekend anddn thank you so much for singing up for the tea. Can't wait.
this is a wonderful post E - so much to smile about
yes, would your mother have told you the same story face-to-face?
and how lovely that your family learned to say I love you, from you
what a sweet post.
i had a designated day i had to call home too. every sunday at 4. my parents (mostly my mom) would freak out if i didn't call at exactly 4:00. what can i say? being an overprotective mom runs in the family
Thanks for stopping over to Silent Saturdays, you are always welcomed.
I didn't know if I should dip into the cute baby well twice in a row but it seemed appropriate this week as well besides, who doesn't love a cute baby?
I look forward to your next post.
Hello to everyone who popped in here:
A few words regarding your comments and questions:
Yes, my mother would have told me about my conception face-to-face as well. She was by turns often irreverent, sarcastic and darkly funny.
Her response came from me leaving a mother's day messege from "the product of her youthful love and lust" for a happy day...the story was related once she stopped laughing.
Sadly, my mother's relationship to me became stressed and tense from my teens onward, and while we loved each other, it was never the same as in my younger years.
I have no idea what started me saying I love you to family on the phone...
Someone asked whether the tradition continues...Since the parents and grands have all gone, that is up to the cousins...I always tell those I love that I love them because one never knows when another opportunity to do so will arise.
Our family wasn't all sweetness and light, but one does the best one can...
Post a Comment