I'm sure that today, someone in blogland is paying homage to The Troggs and their universally known version of Wild Thing...or Lou Reed's Walk on the Wild Side...
I'm also fairly certain that another enterprising individual or group has come up with an equally compelling post devoted to Maurice Sendak's long popular children's book, Where the Wild Things Are, and the release of its cinematic adaptation...
This brings to mind various sides of wildness...from the unforgettable bathtub scene between Kristin Scott Thomas and Ralph Fiennes in Anthony Minghella's film, The English Patient, to the "soft, wet kiss that went on for days," between Susan Sarandon and Kevin Costner in Bull Durham, all of us can relate to desire and the explosive power behind a single kiss, the touch of a hand or the gentle stroke of the cheek.
Beyond eroticism, however, wildness is often reflected in a final eruption of frustration as seen in Network, when a memorable Peter Finch as Howard Beale bellows, "I'm mad as hell, and I'm not going to take it anymore!"
While we may leave, divorce, marry, date, move house or resort to radical antics in the vein of not taking it anymore, few of us have the luxury of simply quitting a job and heading for New York or some or some other mythologized location as did Jon Voight in Midnight Cowboy. Fewer still pack a motor coach and travel the country sorting through the mistakes of our lives, as was done by Jack Nicholson's staid midwestern character in the 2002 film, About Schmidt.
Still, the allure of wildness, whether human or animal, facinates and beguiles...
When I think of wild things, memories of the sense of urgency dominating my youth, impulsivity and the desire to be anywhere but my own skin at that time, crowd my thoughts. The wildest, for me, has yet to occur.
What about you?
Wheelin' on the wild side...
Until Next Time...
20 comments:
Hmm... seems like we think alike, my friend...
wild is life when each day is an adventure...many of those elements you captured...happy tt!
I must admit, every time a paycheck is put in my hand, I feel a little "what if?" thrill run through my veins. It wouldn't get me very far, but it just might get me far enough...
e: I wildly clicked on approval of your comment on my blog - but forgot to check on which post it would appear. Now I can't find it! Please come back and tell me more about your level of French so I can give you a decent answer to your question :-)
cheers.
Nice post - like a summary at the end of TT. You predicted so many of the entries. Wild.
So a wild day for me now is to write more than one comment and not be in pain. So I am averaging 5 today and it has taken about 6 hours and I hope to do one more.
But I liked your wild things. And thank you for asking about me I finally left a comment for everyone. So I am very, very slowly recovering and probably due to my trying too hard and trying to do too much gives me set backs and the pain can sometimes be so great. Last week or the week before, I could not even lift the lid to the washing machine and then a few days later I just could not even push the buttons on the remote control to change the TV channel. So you can see why typing is hard and so I get muscle spasms and pain when I type, so sometimes I take an hour break inbetween each paragraph, sometimes a little less time. There are other days I cannot work my mouse because it hurts too much. So no wild days, I just have sucky pain filled days. Hopefully I will get wild days back.
Thanks again and I hope all is well with you and the cats.
God bless.
I totally took this week's theme literaly "Nerds Gone Wild" and have been pleasantly surprised by the variety of responses. I can't wait for the movie of Where the Wild Things are it's a book that I read to my ankle biters when they were knee high to grasshoppers!
e, so well put. Fantastic reference to "Network". Never saw "About Schmidt" but reminded me of Steinbeck's "Travels with Charley"...I can still get wild, at times, heh, heh...ahem...strike that ;)
Hope someone does do a post on "Where the wild things are"
My children loved having me read them when they were little.
Loved the post.
Never been much on the wild side. Like to visit tho.
great film references...it's amusing how many tt players are thinking of baseball and mentioning bill durham - along with major league in my top three baseball films!
making my rounds of tt players and still waiting to stumble on lou reeds wws - which I adore
sorry to learn of your postponed vacation, that's the opposite of wild - wah
I think wild is like beauty....most is in the eye of the beholder!!
I'm hoping I still have a few wild things left in me. I'm not ready to pack it in yet!
As Shirley Valentine has said...I have lived such a little life...
But oh my if I only could be wild!
...kind of at that age where wild is way outside the status quo...but a little adventure doesn't sound too bad...bring it on!
I think I need a nap. How wild is that?
Yep...you guessed it....I posted on Sendaks book...a favorite when the boys were young! :)
Well....although I would LIKE to say differently... when it comes to SAFE -vs- WILD I tend to stick with the safe side!
I really like how you sum that up in the close to last paragraph about the urgency of youth, to move away, etc. A good angle that.
i'd like to visit some wild places
but with my camera. so thats not very wild then!
Actually, from what I've seen in some animal documentaries, things can get wild and woolly for the camera person, so using a camera doesn't always preclude wildness. Besides, using a camera leaves less of an environmental footprint, so its animal and planet-friendly. I would love to see your photos from such an adventure.
Post a Comment