Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Theme Thursday: Over the Hill...And Other Fairy Tales...

Over The Hill...



A phrase commonly meaning, "Past one's prime," over-the-hill often denotes a person who is no longer young, attractive or alluring. It can also pertain to one's status in a job or career, but this is heard with less frequency.



While men can be termed over-the-hill, in a culture that idealises youth and beauty, women are unfortunately most often the victims of this detestable comment, as if we come with a sell-by-date that magically silently expires at midnight on a birthday whose number we've been taught to dread.



For some, this horiffic number is 35, while for others it may be 40 or 50...



Although women of my mother's generation regularly schemed and plotted against what they believed to be the physical aspects of over-the-hilliness, with make-up, curlers and the much-maligned girdle, I can happily say that I've never owned, let alone worn, this particular piece of lingerie.



While I don't look as I did at nineteen or twenty-five, I will never be over-the-hill, nor will anyone I know. Why? Because, although bodies change, we have the knowledge needed to stay healthy. Our perspectives also alter with time, if we're lucky, and we realise that life is about more than the way we look. I write this just as I will be leaving for the hospital gym to do weight training and other activities designed to keep me strong. I am also taking on a new project and completing another as I look for work, all after taking an advanced degree at midlife.

Over-the-hill?

Only if you're watching the dust clouds stirred by my wheels in the distance...

And my magic number? This will only occur in the unlikely event I win the state lottery...

Until Next Time...











20 comments:

Dreamhaven said...

Once upon a time, Age meant something. Lets race together,lol.
Happy TT

Ed & Jeanne said...

Hey...Jack LaLanne is still going strong and he's 94!

Steve Reed said...

I think men are increasingly held to the "over-the-hill" standard as well, as men are more objectified by our culture. (As in Abercrombie & Fitch advertisements...)

Colette Amelia said...

you go girl!

Anonymous said...

e, go get 'em!

Wings1295 said...

Let's push the 'magic number' up to 95.

Brian Miller said...

big smiles at the dust flying up into the air!

e said...

Hallo everyone, and thanks for popping in.

Steve, you make a good point about males being objectified, but as I've not seen the Ambercrombie and Fitch advert, I can't comment on it directly. Perhaps it is my circles, but I tend to hear over the hill remarks about women, mostly from women and men of my mother's era...

Baino said...

Haha . . I have a lovely picture of you doing wheelies in that chair and burning a little rubber! Good luck at the gym, I'm still staring at my treadmill. One of these days it will answer back I swear!

Skip Simpson said...

You have the perfect take on this whole "aging" business! I hope to still be feeling like a kid at 80!
Great post, and happy "Theme Thursday!"

Barbara said...

Like you, I refuse to think of myself as over the hill, although I have passed those numbers you quoted by many years. The minute I accept that adjective, I fear the rest of life will be down the other side to the grave. Let's just keep on going UP!

Mike said...

I don't think that there is an over the hill age for women. I think that there are plenty of older women who are extremely sexy!

California Girl said...

I don't have a magic number either and VE is right...look at Jack LaLaane!

Megan said...

Oh, most excellent post! I'm eating your dust right now, but I'm catching up fast!

Not For Jellyfish said...

I'm coming up on my very second 29th birthday! I think I can keep up this ruse for at least 7-10 years. :)

Skybridge Studios said...

Yes many happy returns of the magic day... numbers don't matter anymore!

lettuce said...

you go, e!
great post

Rosaria Williams said...

What a great attitude here. I dropped in from Monkeysontheroof. Health is our responsibility at all ages.

karen said...

Hi E! Great post, and I love the image of your dust clouds! I've been catching up on your blog, too. Sorry to hear about the free library, how sad.

Frances said...

Oh goodness it's not long until I'm 35 - do some people think that's over the hill?! I guess if it means 'past one's prime' that, like you, we can make sure we never are!! You go girl. Really glad to come across your blog and thanks for visiting mine.