For those of you who wondered if I would ever re-surface, I am back. Life here has been interesting. Apart from having to call my insurer and a vendor several times regarding co-pays and claims that were mishandled by the insurer, my feline friends have been under the weather as well, leaving me all sorts of interesting conversations with their veterinarian.One of them, my geriatric Siamese, has developed behavioral issues since losing her companion cat last March, so sleep at our house has been at a premium, sometimes leaving me exhausted and now often pissed off. She has been taking anti-anxiety medication for the last two months and her nightly yowling, which the neighbors have gently commented upon, has ceased, but other problems remain. She knocks over lamps, books and other objects, jumps from floor to desk and back again and hides beneath the center of the bed when she knows I want to put her out of the bedroom because she realises that I'll not be able to reach her. My attempts to leave all three cats out of the bedroom all the time resulted in such a din from the others that I've given up. For a few nights, I've even resorted to sleeping on the livingroom futon and leaving the brood in my bedroom with the door closed just so I could get some sleep. My Siamese has been checked for a litany of possible medical conditions and is healthy.
The vet has suggested another medication, Elavil, to relieve anxiety and increase sleepiness in my attention-seeking Siamese, who gets a lot of play time, lap time, food, toys and sun-porch during the day. At this point, I may need the med as I am run down and have succumbed to a cold.
Apart from these things, the chair is still pending, as the paperwork has been submitted for approval and depending upon outcome, we see whether appeals are necessary before it actually gets made according to my measurements and other specifications. In the meantime, using the folding manual, which is clunky and heavy by comparison, has resulted in repetitive stress injury to my right wrist, which is exacerbated by computer use, so I've been keeping that iced and braced, and avoiding the computer.
I am in communication with other bloggers who use chairs and all have been very helpful with a variety of issues. My friendly neighborhood mental health professional assures me that all will eventually be sorted. I know she's right, but it's taking a bloody long time, and there's more to come.
I will get to catching up, though comments may be sparse due to the wrist situation. Thanks for your understanding and the various messeges and post cards that have found their way to me. They are appreciated.
19 comments:
Good grief what a time. Is the chair permanent or just a stop gap measure? Poor thing, you're all broken at both ends! Wishing you well with the neuropuss too! Very highly strung those siamese.
oh me, oh my....I wish your blogging break could have been like mine - meaning that you were just off on a wander - and not one filled with battling with the medical-insurance-industrial-complex and tending to cats with behavioral issues. oy!!!
sending lots of positive, energy your way! and I'd love to send postcards your way too (in fact I still have a few from texas that didn't get posted!!) but don't have your snail mail address - should a post card from the mouse bring a smile and a bit of light to your life, email me your snail mail address! my email is kyanoshik at gmail dot com
hugs....
Baino,
With the equiv of a seventy-year-old knee and crappy surgical options, likely permanent, though at this point I do still manage short distances on foot. The Siamese is very cute and worth the effort. I am the only family she's ever had. The wrist is responding well, so likely I'll have no worries, I hope anyway. Thanks for coming by and do enjoy the new specs and red hoodie!
Mouse,
Lucky you get to wander in Texas. I did get to go to the beach for a couple of hours last week, but things have def. not turned out the way I planned after grad school last year. At least life is not boring! Will send an email and thanks.
I'm sorry to hear you are under the weather with a cold. I have one too so I can sympathize with that part of your misery.
I'm also sorry that progress is so slow on the chair. Sometimes it seems like bureaucracy is throwing unnecessary obstacles in your way, doesn't it?
As for your cat, if it were mine I might consider finding a loving home with someone who is deaf. Seriously, I know it's hard to give up on an animal you've spent so much time with, but your own sanity and well-being count for a lot too.
I hope your life improves on many fronts!
I hope the paper work on the chair moves along now. Good luck with getting your cats moods leveled out.
Hope you're cat-ching up on sleep. Nothing makes dealing with numerous attention demanding issues worse than not enough sleep!
My positive thoughts are racing kim's to reach you!
I am sorry to hear you have not gotten your chair yet. I had hoped that you had. I am still waiting for them to do surgery on my shoulder. I have no date as of yet, but I am hoping that it stops the pain. I do not sleep well and know how you feel about not getting enough sleep.
If my cats are in the house when I am trying to sleep it is harder because they try to lay on my legs or feet. It is hard to sleep with the pain let alone with cats sleeping on top of you. Although I did have one cat who used to sleep on my stomach, back or side and I hated it when he did it, but now that he is gone I would give anything to have him back doing it. I miss him more than I can say. I can never think of him without crying. (I need tissue now.) So I understand how you can put up with your cat doing things you dislike, but it is because you love them that you do this. Maybe as time passes he will get over missing his friend. It has been four years since Thumper passed and I still miss him, so be prepared for it to be a while. But we do love them and so must do what we can to help them. Maybe a stuffed toy kitten to keep him company will help. I got a kitten and it helped me. Hubby does not have the attachment to the animals that I do. I still miss my dog, but due to allergies cannot replace him. We had him for 18 years and it was like losing a child. But that was 16 years ago and so I have grieved for him.
I wish I could talk to your cat, but cannot, so I will send good wishes to you both. Maybe if you put a mirror on the floor in the bedroom this might help. Plus if you also put boxes in the middle of under the bed to block his ability to stay out of your reach, this will help you to catch him and just hug him tight when you do. I think he is just lost and does not know what to do by himself.
I also hope you get that chair soon and am wondering if you have tried one of those wrist wraps for people who have carpal tunnel sydrome for when you are on the computer. I have heard they help and they also have some type of pad for your wrist to sit on while typing. My sister has to use one, she says it does help.
And thank you so much for visiting, even while you are in pain. This was very nice of you.
Sending my prayers and blessings.
God bless.
Glad you're back and working thru some tiring issues --in good spirits and communicating with bloggers in chairs to get good helpful info. Your blog break turned out to be fruitful in ways. Sleep is so important... I have a cat who screams at dawn, and if I go to bed earlier, he screams for attention at 3am. Once in a while I'm lucky and he'll allow me to sleep 8 hours, but I wish I could get those hours regularly.
Knocking over lamps etc... tho is just not acceptable!
Yikes! When it rains it pours, as they say! Having had a cat with behavioral issues, that alone can be enough to drive one barmy. If it's any consolation, my cat eventually worked hers out on her own, though it took about a year.
I'm glad you're back, e!
Hello, e! I'm glad the recipe works for you. We love it here. I'm sorry you are having cat/chair issues. If you'd like another card, send along your address to me, too!
I like interesting conversations with veterinarians. They are usually really fine people with lots of ideas.
My cats vet also takes care of retired zoo animals.
Hugs from me.
oh 'e' -
i wish i could wave my magic mule wand and make life calmer, easier and smiley-er for you.
i understand about the repetitive wrist injury - i've been experiencing those as well. have tried to back off of computer time.
i had a psycho cat once. it hated being left alone while i was in class. it ate all my living plants that i had grafted in my hort class. i was VERY upset. then it dug all the dirt out of the pots and ate it. and the jumping bit. she was small and in the middle of the night, when she'd hit, it truly felt like a huge furry spider had landed on my neck / face. argghhh!
xxx
rdm
Hi E! Sorry to hear of all your woes. Baino's spot on about the Siamese cats. And they can bemoan the loss of a companion, pretty hard.
And I know all too well the hassle and B.S. of filing all those forms and claims! I go through it every year with Mom and it's only gotten more complicated. It shouldn't have to be like this.
Hope your cold doesn't last too long. Sending some healing sunshine from New Mexico( I smuggled some back east-LOL ). Take care and no worries about posting!
Hi E.. I know I'm late here! wishing you all the best... it must be so frustrating, chair issues and the geriatric cat, too!
take care, and hope that by now you are getting a bit more sleep in? x
Dear E, have been thinking about you, and yes...wondering where you are, but you did say you'd be posting less frequently.
Sending positive energy and good thoughts your way.
Hang in there.
L.
Hi E! I'm kinda late too and been thinking bout cha all week!
Baino,
Neuropuss is presently enjoying her after dinner and medicine run through the apartment, meowing all the while. Things are improving, though at a snail's pace...The chair saga continues...
Stay well. Wishing you a great new job!
Mouse:
Oy indeed! I'm glad you got back to Texas and enjoyed it! I would love a get away and some time to think, as many things need an airing at the moment. I hope you got my e-mail.
B: I've had several colds---must be stress!
Robbin's Mama: Thanks for the good wishes. It's always nice to meet another blogger. Thanks for stopping by.
Skybridge: Thanks for your patience and good wishes. I am indeed cat-ching up and will post again tomorrow.
Mrsupole: You would probably enjoy a book I picked up at the library entitled "Made for Each Other." The author, Meg Daly Olmert, explores the chemistry behind the human-animal bond. Thanks for your suggestions.
Squirrel: You're certainly right about the sleep! Perhaps you'll get a cat nap in as needed? Miss your snaps and emails!
Steve: My life has been on the when it rains it pours list for much of the last decade---explains my tendency toward barminess anyway!
Tut--I hope things pick up and thanks for the card!
AR-whatever would we do without our beloved cats and their lovely vets???
Megan: Hugs to you and Liam and Pop! You rock!
RDM: From your mouth to G-d's ear! What happened to that poor cat???
Subby: Thanks for the extra sunshine! Been raining buckets here. I hope it relieves the drought. Hugs to Mum.
Karen: Thanks. Love the new photo of you!
Skybridge: Thanks! I promise to post more often but wrist is still pesky. Take Care.
Bullet: Can't wait to get back to your wonderful stories. I hope you are doing well.
Hi e! more hugs right back!
Post a Comment