Sunday, May 31, 2009

Sunrise On The Beach...











Photos courtesy of M. Crane. Taken September, 2008. Published by E. with permission.


These two sunrise beach shots were taken by a friend on an outing we took together last September. As I sat wrestling my digital camera from its box, searching for batteries, my friend, who loves photo outings as much as I, snapped these. I love the beach but rarely have the energy to get up at 5 A.M. on a weekend. Driving through darkness to reach our destination was quiet as the normally bumper-to-bumper traffic was non-existent.
There was something peaceful, yet invigorating, about that morning on the beach. A light wind, the faint scent of salt and sea, and little traffic, human or otherwise, brought to mind images of the old Florida of my early childhood visits to the U.S.
In those days, mom-and-pop seafood eateries and low-rise, fifties-style motels dotted the landscape in many beach communities and it wasn't unusual to see picnics spread on blankets in the sand or kids with buckets building castles of various configurations that they would eventually knock over with glee.
Unlike the beaches of my childhood home, which rested on the whitest sand I'd ever seen and had depths of azure that one could see into, this one featured lots of bits of glass, stone and leaves. Later, I spied a wedding being set up behind us, a few dogs walking humans and some kids picking up litter...








10 comments:

Baino said...

There is a calm to watching a beach sunrise. Being on the East Coast of Australia, that's all we get. I'd actually love to go west and watch it set over the ocean. Nice pics. Don't you have a rechargable battery for your camera?

e said...

Hi Baino,

Nope. They're a bit pricey these days. Sunrises and sunsets are both faves because even if the day's been crap, I can still enjoy them. Enjoy your day, Baino!

Anonymous said...

e, lovely shots. I've dug out a couple more but don't know if my scanner will do them any justice.

And I carried about a dozen rechargable batteries(+charger) for the trip. Unfortunatley my other camera ponked out :(

karen said...

Beautiful photos... loved your beach visit and associated reminiscences! x

Val said...

sunrise - a free gift with eachnew day...dont always get to see it mind! beautiful post. thanks

Megan said...

I've always wanted to see the "other side" since sunsets at the beach are one of my most favorite things ever. Every time I start to moan and groan about the cost of living in California, I think of the beach and I know I could never leave, at least not for long!

Suzanne said...

Sunrises, sunsets. All beautiful and never the same. I've seen so many of both and never tired. Never. You know me and nature. We just have a perfect relationship! Darling, this is such a beautiful post. Beautiful photos, beautiful words. I do understand.

Thanks you for your kind words on my blog. They matter, you know? Never hesitate to stop by because you're always welcome. It's so nice to have you there and to be here. I haven't gotten out in awhile! It's nice. And of course your kitties are beautiful. I'll get home, you know. As soon as the real estate market improves and I can sell this joint. What an odd time in hisotry.

Love you darling. Hope you're having a beautiful day.

XO

Suzanne said...

Hi baby, I'm back. I'm stuck. I can't get off your blog. I'm going to have to exit! This has been happening more often than I like. Why? You guys trapping me?!!! Okay, gotta go. Knock it off next time. What? Does it look like I have all day for stuff like this???!!! NO!!!

Seriously, WV is "UBRAT." That's just too funny. Okay, I gotta get outta this joint. XO

Barbara said...

The Florida beaches have changed incredibly over the past 50 years, mostly not for the better. What was once pristine white sand is now more likely a concrete support for a high-rise condo. It makes me sad to see all this "progress" when I go home. Maybe that's why I go so seldom.

Steve Reed said...

LOVE sunrise on the beach! Which beach is this? Do you remember the time you and Ron and I went to Picnic Island? :)