After my visit to the doc yesterday, I've found out that I amongst the one to two percent of individuals who have an allergic and adverse reaction to a common medication for the knee. Designed to give the arthritic knee a cushion against pain, this wonder lubricant is made from rooster combs and called Syn Visc. It works well for many. I am in the minority. It seems my body is treating this substance as a foreign invader, hence the swelling, pain and extreme discomfort.
In practical terms, this is not good news as I may be laid up for days beneath ice bags. In the larger context, it also means that one resource in my limited range of options has been eliminated for good. The synthetic version of this lubricant, known as Euflexa, although it caused no unwanted reactions, also provided no relief.
I can only stand with pain, and walking includes holding on to things or people. The manual chair can't fit through doorways, and once in the kitchen, blocks access to the refridgerator. Nonetheless, I can use it to get closer to these things without stressing the knee, so even limited help is better than nothing. My seventies vintage apartment offers little in the way of re-modeling possibilities.
In keeping with the vegetable theme today, one bright spot involves a gallon bag of frozen green peas. These become very cold, but conform to my now badly mis-shapened knee quite readily, making frozen peas a wonderful ice pack. If I get the urge to snack while lying down with my knee elevated...Who knows? I'm so exhausted at this point, I mightn't mind the taste.
I see the surgeon on Monday about arthroscopy. A heartfelt thank you to all my followers and those who send well wishes with my previous posting and this one. Your words and kind thoughts are appreciated.
Until Next Time...
21 comments:
Once again, I'm sorry about your limited options. One of these days you're going to have some good news for us, I just know it!
Meanwhile, keep those peas handy! Thinking of you...:)
I'm hoping for better news for you from the medical community. At least the peas help . . . :(
I'm sorry the news is not good - but at least they figured out the problem with the allergy - so you are not hurting as much, I hope?
I got my postcard yesterday and I felt like a heel for not sending yours yet. It shall be done! I wish I could send a magical salve instead, though. I think of you every day. Really. Best wishes, best e.
I had surgery on my nose and rotating bags of frozen peas were at my bedside during the days of recovery. It's the only time I ever really appreciated the loathsome greenies.
Hope you feel better soon!! We're all sending healing thoughts.
Pamela
I'm sorry to hear that.I wish things are going to be better soon and the pain will go away.Take care and courage.
I have arthritis in both knees, my spine and shoulders. Sometimes I can barely walk also, I have a cane to help me on those days. They are gonna have to probably do shoulder replacement surgery if things do not improve, so I can say I feel for you. I do so hope things improve for you. I have heard that because peas do conform that they do make a good ice pack.
I am wondering if they can do knee replacement surgery for you. All I keep hearing about from people now is this person and that person had this surgery and that kind of replacement. Hip replacement seems to be the most common. Ugh, I sure hope you get well too. But they keep saying that person said it was the best thing to ever happen. Still ugh. I will keep you in my prayers. Prayers help and I pray they will help you. I will ask the angels to watch over you and help with your healing. They will watch over you.
God bless. Please keep us updated.
Thanks for dropping by, everyone! Someone asked about knee replacement, and I am not a candidate for that. I am doing all I can with anti-inflammatories, ice, peas, elevation, compression.
Keeping the knee elevated requires that I not sit at the computer, so I am on the bed or couch much of the time and sleep is difficult. I'll be taking a blogging break as a result.
Take Care and I'll update as I can.
Wishing you all a great weekend!
Hang in there, E, better days are ahead.
and thanks for the tip re: Peas. I'll have to keep some in my freezer.
e, you poor lass! A co-worker had the arthroscopy on both knees. He was walking round in a couple weeks time. He says they're fine now, with hardly any pain. Maybe this will work, if you decide to go through with it. But there has to be other options, just not sure what...wish I could be there to give you a hand( or leg, as it were ). Rest that knee. Also abig bag of frozen berries will work. And tastes better :)
frozen peas are marvelous...and when you need heat therapy, sometimes a sweet, purring cat works...as long as she or he isn't too heavy!
hugs
I hope you have a great break, just take it easy. I posted some "Hugs" for you and I hope that will help you feel better. And the cat thing that mouse wrote about sounds good if it is a light weight cat. The purring is great for relieving stress. It relaxes our minds. Sweet dreams and God bless.
I remember the wonder of frozen peas when I slipped a disc.
Do hope you get some permanent relief soon it's such a downer having to live with pain.
xx
Oh dear, I hope you get to feeling better soon, its no fun to feel helpless when your medicine that is SUPPOSED to work doesn't. Just take it easy and read something fabulous! Have you read The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society? It is a great, cute read..something light and engrossing.
e, I've left you an award of sorts. But no list to go with it. None needed. I've still got to put yours up, don't I?
Hello dearest 'e' -
I am so sad to read of your plight. Your words remind me that I am not the only human being in the world that suffers with painful, chronic conditions. As I DO tend to selfishly focus on being the only victim on earth (snickering joke on self).
A bag of peas is a medical wonder!! We keep at least two in our freezer for all manner of physical injuries. And they helped numb my stomach before I punctured myself with the B12 shots. And they helped with the inevitable swelling afterwards.
I pray all goes well today with your doctor and SOMETHING exists to relieve you of constant pain. In my own experience, it is a difficult and delicate solution to find.
And being made worse by 'helpful medical' solutions is the WORST !! the disappointment, the sense of betrayal .. the realization that medicine truly is a PRACTICE and not always a proven answer.
hang in there.
much love,
xoxo
rdm
Hope all is well, E. I haven't been spending much time on the old computer -- will write snail mail soon.
Steve and Tut-Tut: The peas have been helpful. I am still using them. There is no good news stemming from my appointment yesterday, however. I will return on April 8 for further discussion, but at this point, I don't have surgical options and the arthroscopic specialist has referred me elsewhere.
Megan: I'm glad you appreciate the post card. Still a bit swollen, but working on it. I hope you, the offspring and pop are all having a good week.
Pam: I love healing thoughts, the world needs more of them. You are right about the peas. I have a whole new appreciation of them.
Candie: It looks like I will have to learn to live with this pain. The doc says my knee is twenty years older than the rest of me, at this point, so adapting is in order.
Mrsupole: Thanks for the prayers! And you and Mouse are right about the cat therapy.
Avid and Subtorp: I hope you are right. I will try the berries. Subtorp, thanks for the award and best to mum.
Mouse: Cat therapy is the best!
Firebyrd: There does not appear to be a good or permanent solution here for me, so must focus on adapting. I vote every chance I get. I hope you win!
Eveninglightwriter: Thanks for visiting. Your book recommendation sounds great.
RDM: Glad to see you back and feeling better. I can't say I'm happy with no real options here, and living from a chair if that is in the future, I must find information and prepare. Like you, I have much to do and consider. Thanks for visiting.
Squirrel: Nice to see you and look forward to whatever you send my way as I will not be on the computer much myself for awhile.
So sorry to hear about your discomfort. It must be really discouraging on those extra painful days. Frozen peas are absolutely the best kind of cold therapy because they conform so well to whatever they happen to be sitting on.
I am a bit late adding my sympathies to the chorus- but yes, I am sorry to hear of your plight; I do hope some options become available to you. It is a daunting prospect to think there may be none.
Look forward to your return to blogging x
i'm so sorry to catch up on your blog and find bad news...
i mean, not sorry to catch up, sorry about your pain and problems.
thinking of you
I'm very late here because basically your site wouldn't let me in! I ALWAYS have a pack of frozen veg specifically for knees and ankles in the freezer. They freeze and defrost so no point eating them but they do wonders for pain. I'm a great fan of Voltarin creme! I have the crappiest knees.
Post a Comment