Sunday, March 15, 2009

Reprising Doors...



Photos and Text By E.
March 15, 2009.
Two door spaces, St. Petersburg, Florida.
Both were closed on the morning these photos were taken last September.
The Artspace is home to various working artists studios whose works are exhibited during specified hours and at designated events. The bit about this on the web is at:
http://www.artspaceartists.com/index.php. I noticed the red doors right off, along with the signage and had to take a snap!
The other I know nothing about. The shape and color of the overhang and the light fixture caught my eye. They lend much to an otherwise unremarkable entrance.
The symbolism, shapes, colors and locations for doors, entryways and gates fascinate me. The early morning that these were shot was my first time using a digital camera.




9 comments:

tut-tut said...

Nice colors; I found it very odd, the first times I used my digital camera. It felt "empty" without the film in there.

e said...

Thanks, Tut-Tut! You're right about that "empty" feeling, but I adore the point and shoot aspect, although I still have work to do to improve angles, lighting, depth and such. I hope you're having a good day.

tut-tut said...

I'll send you the recipe for the tempeh barbeque; email me. We LOVE it around here. It's from the book Grub.

Anonymous said...

I like the tiles in the second one. And I still use my old Pentax 35mm. Tho' I am kinda spoiled by the digi-cams, I have. And the instantaneousness of it.( ouch! finger cramp on that word! )

Steve Reed said...

Doors and windows are always among the most photographed subjects -- I think they're a natural focal point for any building, though with varying degrees of success, as you pointed out. I shoot doors and windows a lot. And of course there is that metaphorical thing.

Megan said...

Nice shots, e! I love red doors. And I still haven't been able to get used to the digital camera. I keep wanting to hold it up to my eye!

e said...

Steve, Subtorp, Megan, Tut-tut,

I find myself drawn to colors, shapes, textures, etc as well. Doors to me represent both openings and closings, both in the physical and emotional/spiritual realms. I also think that sometimes they can represent not only places we enter or not, but choices we make, and the why and how of those is always interesting to untangle.

Peter said...

Nice to read your helpful comments on Matt Grimmitt's blog. One of the joys of the blog system seems to be the support that people from all over the world can offer one another, which has to be a good thing! It has been fun discovering your blog (as a direct result of seeing your comment on Matt's site). Good to find someone who loves cats too. I will drop in again. Best Wishes. P.

karen said...

Lost my last comment, trying again! these are beautiful door-spaces! I love digital cameras. I simply point and press like crazy, but get such joy out of it..