
Post Card of Chinese Terracotta Warrior produced by
The British Museum. Property of E, May, 2008.
This post card is a souvenir of a wonderful exhibition of Chinese Terracotta Warriors that was shown at the Bowers Museum in Orange County, California from May through October, 2008.
The traveling exhibit, on loan from China, features excavations of warriors, horses, various implements, elements of construction and pictures of the excavations as they took place.
The Terracotta Warriors date from China's First Emperor and the Qin dynasty between 221-206 BC.
The fellow at right is an infantryman and was excavated in 1976.
For more information on the Bowers Museum and this exhibition, visit http://www.bowers.org/exhibits/TerraCotta_Warriors/index.jsp.
Most of the pieces I saw were life-size and very intricate. The warriors, horses, musicians and other elements of the exhibit were created under the auspices of China's First Emperor, a boy king, to protect him in the afterlife. The warriors and additional parts now on exhibit were discovered accidentally by farmers. Excavations began in the 1970's.
13 comments:
Always something to learn about China, isn't there ; )
I enjoyed your whipped cream buddha too ; )
No need to ever worry about your post, just enjoy yourself.
Thanks 4 joining in!
Cheers!
great addition!! many years ago I had the pleasure of seeing this exhibit (or a similar one of terracotta warriors)at the kimball museum in fort worth!
they are amazing...and an amazing story
I remember reading about them.
Postcards are so useful, aren't they? I love collecting them at museums, though my local one doesn't seem have too many of them.
Thanks, CM and Mouse. I found my souvenirs in the back of a closet and thought this would be an interesting post.
Hi Tut,
Thanks for coming by, and you're right regarding postcards. I'll put the letter for the word game on your Blog.
They are worth quite a bit too!
Y it is!
Hey, I went to that! The Bowers is right down the street from my office! Aren't they neat??
I love visiting the Bowers...Lucky you!
Hi 'e' - !!
Thank you for your continual support. Apparently, cowboy is hexing me in hopes I will lose ALL readership.
Seriously,
This is a very strange post of deja-vu' as a discussion regarding these Chinese Terracotta Warriors, on display at the High Museum of Art in Atlanta not too long ago, was the subject of a dialogue between a potter, a mule and another potter in a magazine ...
Wonderful post. Amazing. The potter in the magazine, on 'loan' at the University of Arizona for a year asked his students: how many of you think you can craft an army of statues like these ....
not one student raised his or her hand!
xoxo
rdm
depending upon the letter ... either lola wants to play the word game or ms. red dirt mule will handle the task. may i have a letter, please?
xoxo
lola
i like the Qin dynasty. i'd like to dig up things.
How many of those Warriors were there?
Heres a cool picture you might like over at my friend k-Face from a few days ago.
http://beautifulcandy.blogspot.com/2009/01/spot-of-ink.html
Post a Comment