Sunday, February 8, 2009

Hey, Who's This?


Photo property of E, owner of this Blog, January 28, 2009.
The answer to that question is-- Phoebe, who is about to take a header off of E's printer! She saw a stray wad of paper under the desk, and was determined to bat and shred until E should produce the vacuum to clean up confetti!
Phoebe is disappointed in the quick shoot and click E did for this photo and promises to pose for a better picture in the future.
In the meantime, Blogger Barbara at looking2live.blogspot.com also interviewed yours truly. Her questions and my answers follow.
1. If you had one hundred thousand dollars, what would you do with it and why?
This is a tough question in these economic times, but I would likely set it aside as seed money for a charity or foundation with the mission of supplying kids in Third World nations the supplies, uniforms, books or other costs needed to get to school. I would also collaborate with businesses, NGO's and viable non-profits as well as other entities to continue the flow of monies toward this enterprise. Some of the initial one hundred thousand would also be set aside so that I could continue physical therapy and keep myself in a position to keep fundraising.
2. How did your time in Panama impact your life?
That was the first nineteen years of my life, and it laid the foundation for my perspective on the world, my interest in other cultures and countries, my desire to travel and my sense of "home." During that period, my parents and I traveled extensively through Central America, visited parts of Europe and the U.S. and I've also had extended stays in Colombia and Mexico as a younger woman. As a result, I am very attuned to diversity, with eclectic interests as well as being an avid reader with active interest in the rest of the planet. I also tend to look at the U.S. a bit more critically, especially with regard to foreign policy and its impact on the world stage.
3. What living famous person would you like to have dinner with and what would you serve?
There are so many potential answers to this question...Rachel Maddow comes to mind here, as does Amy Goodman, or perhaps a writer such as Maya Angelou, whose books I began reading at thirteen and continue with today...As for the menu, I'd probably get the meal catered since I eat mostly vegetarian food.
4. What one thing would I change about my life?
Probably the pain and fatigue stemming from the osteoarthritis that has developed due to wear and tear and the gait and biomechanical issues associated with lifelong Cerebral Palsy. My right knee is especially damaged. I would fix it, if I could.
5. What qualities do I value in a friend?
Humor, intelligence and sensitivity.

19 comments:

tut-tut said...

What a thoughtful, unselfish person you are! I am so sorry you are in pain; my mother suffered with rheumatoid arthritis.

My WV is dearesse!

e said...

Dear Tut-Tut,

Thanks for your kind comment; I am on anti-inflammatory medication, but will be getting a full length brace for the leg and possibly a chair, in the near future. The pain is not constant, but it is very frequent, and I am not a candidate for knee replacement...

RA is a horrible autoimmune disorder. I hope your mother's medications were able to help?
What did she do to keep her spirits up ???

I miss doing yoga! I also swim but the water's been too cold for that, so I do other exercises indoors and will start a wellness program at my PT facility soon.

Now--I must find something with a Fish theme--who came up with this one?

Barbara said...

I'm glad you finally got around to posting this. This is what convinced me you HAD to start a Blog. The rest is history!

red dirt girl said...

Dearest 'e' -

In each interview you reveal more of the wonderful you that is YOU !! I wrote more of a response to this over at RDM's - but I just want to stand up and applaud you - for your own sensitivity, intelligence and good humor.

You easily could throw a huge pity party and we all would join you - but you don't. You've carved a life out for yourself and, it sounds, you make it a priority to take care of that precious self.

I am humbled, truthfully.
(mostly because I tend to be a pity party thrower!)

so happy to meet and know you, friend!

xoxo
rdm

Avid Reader said...

enjoyed learning more about you. xxxooo

Megan said...

Bravo, e! I'm afraid I would be much more stingy with my $100K. But I would try not to be!

Phoebe is lovely.

Angela said...

Dear e, I first came across you when Barbara mentioned that you had added a donation to hers - the one that has by now safely arrived at Karen`s Day Care Center! I was wondering who you are, I found your comments and liked them, I like your blog, but only now I understand...I too, would like to draw my hat - chapeau!! is what the French say. No self-pity but love of life and a thoughtful attitude, in spite of everything. I truly admire you and wish you well. Maybe modern medicine can help you one day?!! Please tell us more of your travels and experiences! Cheers from Angela

Anonymous said...

Excellent choice in the use of money. Also I can relate to the world travelling (born in Europa, been just about everywhere else, while in the Navy). Your true spirit seems to pulse in this interview.

e said...

Thanks to Everyone for your words of support and kindness. I had an injection in the knee today which should help with some of the pain issue, unfortunately the drug is not one that can be taken often as it also contributes to the wearing away of cartilage in the knee. I also had an MRI today. I will not be around the Blog much the next few days, however, I do hope to have something up for theme Thursday.

Until Next Time!

tut-tut said...

e: My mother was originally misdiagnosed, so needlessly suffered in pain for years. SHe ended up with injections of gold. It didn't get her down, though. She did about everything!

L (who writes the Music Monday posts and is 17) is a HS junior, so we are taking to the road tomorrow. Wish us luck. I am the world's most reluctant highway driver. I would do anything to take a byway, rather than a highway, but there is nothing for it. Plus this will be the first time I'm checking into hotels without D's assistance.

I'll be posting on THeme Thursday, but not sure if I'll be able to link from the Theme Thursday blog. We'll see. Look for my post!

red dirt girl said...

Hello dearest 'e' -

My ten 'r's are completed. Very wordy, I must warn you in advance! I posted them at Lola's Loves:

http://lolasloves09.blogspot.com/2009/02/10-r.html

Hope you enjoy. It was an opportunity for me to take 'stock' of myself: both the good, the bad, and the ugly.

xoxo
rdm /lola

e said...

RDM/Lola,

Excellent job! I left further comment on your Blog. Thanks for playing.

A Concerned Citizen said...

I used to see Maya Angelou occasionally at a par course/running track in Winston-Salem, NC (my home town). She was (maybe still is?) a professor at Wake Forest. The par course is very friendly in a southern kind of way, and people speak to one another as they pass by. One day I said "good morning" to an African American woman who I was passing, and I got a very rich and resonant "good morning" in return. I thought to myself, "that the voice sounded familiar," and when I went around a hairpin curve and was able to see the front of the woman I'd just passed, I realized why.

e said...

Adrianne,

I actually met the lady for a few minutes myself duting my undergraduate days when she was invited to speak at my university. The deep and soothing voice you speak about was the first thing I noticed, too. I am a lifelong fan.

How is Arthur doing???

karen said...

hi E, what a lovely interview, and Phoebe is gorgeous! x

Reya Mellicker said...

Excellent interview.

I'm so sorry to read about your arthritis and the pain it is causing you. Is it OK with you if I send you some Reiki? I won't do it unless you say it's OK.

Phoebe? Be careful, sweet kitty!

Steve Reed said...

Amy Goodman rocks! I miss listening to her show. I used to hear it every day when I lived in Tampa and could listen to WMNF. I'm sure she's on hee in NYC, but alas, now I don't have daytime drive-time and radio-listening-time...

Sorry I've been remiss in keeping up with your blog. I'll try to come around more often.

Take care of that knee. And Phoebe. :)

mouse (aka kimy) said...

a dinner party with all those women would be great.....can I come... I'll volunteer to cook! and I can do a wonderful vegetarian feast....who would complain among that group having a vegetarian meal...in fact I wouldn't be surprised if maya, amy, and rachel are vegetarians.....or we could have fish

word verification: phishing - I kid you not

Coffee Messiah said...

Sorry to hear about your pain. Seems life is full of suffering of one kind or another ; (

Keeping positive helps though in more ways than people realize.

Maya is quite the person, having only read or heard her speak of course.

As for fish, I'm taking liberties with it, if that helps at all.

Cheers!