
Photo Taken By E, January 28, 2009.
My closet-like kitchen is great if one is interested in economy of motion and efficiency. If, however, you are a kitchen diva or metromale that needs every gadget under the sun with which to concoct cuisines, there isn't room. That fact alone leaves me having to get creative in how much I cook and store...
My cats consider the kitchen their domain, particularly the window sill, top of the refridgerator and the inside of a very warm dryer just as the clothing or linens are removed...
21 comments:
I am lamenting the smallness of my new 'old' kitchen only because I can't seem to figure out where to put things in some sort of logical order. Then again, we all now know that logic is not one of my strengths!
I don't like to cook. and I try not to. but I 'do kitchens' because I must feed 3 hungry children.
I once saw an ad for a kitchen that had been converted into a library. The owner (of a small kitchen such as yours) did not cook - she ate out. So, she took the doors and hinges off of the cabinets .... and
WOW - it was a glorious sight of books and books and books !!!
rdm
ps. my word verification is ditchay: ditch and hay - how apropos for a mule.
Alas, I cannot afford to eat out all the time. It is too expensive and often contributory to extra inches and weight. Cooking at home is easier in the long run because I cook about once weekly, make several things at once and then warm them in the microwave to eat.
PS: I found out about Theme Thursday from Blogger Coffee Messiah. While kitchens are not the best theme in my opinion, there are some very interesting books devoted to the history of kitchens, as well as websites with kitchen photos or drawings from every period. Converting an unused kitchen into a library sounds like a creative use of space. I wonder if the person who did this was a librarian?
Good luck with organizing!
I always find an interesting way to make the theme something different, or at least what you would not expect.
And your kitchen looks about as small as ours ; )
Cheers and Thanks for joining in!
Your kitchen looks tidy and inviting. Nice colors!! I have an old house and although the kitchen is charming it lacks a dishwasher, a double sink and even an over head light! The cabinets are original and have huge doors that, when I first moved in, I was constantly banging my head on. My ex husband used to joke that I should always wear a helmet when preparing meals.
a very lovely contribution to TT!! you have a very attractive, neat and sweet kitchen....I can see why the cats enjoy hanging out there. my cats really like our kitchen when we are in there making food - and gwen is the queen of beggars.
thanks for playing along!
We actually prefer a small kitchen having had both -- with a small galley kitchen we both have our "mise en place" together and tidy up more as we go along--a smooth operation. The more space you have the more you spread out, the more gadgets you collect, You end up with banana hammocks if you're not careful! Oh No, not that!
Dear RDM, Avid, Mouse, CM, Pamdog,
I am glad you all enjoyed the glimpse into la cocina. I too like small spaces for the creativity they inspire, and actually this kitchen is the biggest I've ever had. As long as the cats are happy, I can make due!
Anyone know what's on tap for Theme Thursday next week?
Dennis would be happy to lounge in your kitchen.
Dennis,
You and Edward are welcome. We even have extra cat nip.
I wish to see the spice drawer.
One can always detect the flavor of the cook by the content of the spice drawer.
What is the rarest spice that you maintain?
Goatman,
I actually have a spice shelf. My favorites are curry, termuric, cumin and cinnamon. These may be common by your standards, I'm not sure. Ginger and garlic are also used widely. Thanks for your comments. I can tell you like spices and herbs and I enjoy learning more about them, too.
I admire people who can keep their kitchens tidy. Yours looks nice and efficient. When you invite me for a meal, don`t use garlic, though, please.
very compact! I don't think i'd cope...!!
oh, those cats - i can just imagine them taking over all the spaces, and the lovely warm dryer! :-)
i practically live in my kitchen. what's that little white gadget next to the paper towels? i used to unroll the paper towels for fun. i see your tea kettle, do you have a coffee maker?
That's a good list of spices. I could only add, from my spice shelf, fennel for making italian sausage for spaghetti sauce and saffron for adding to rice--making it yellowy and slightly bitter but nice. My brother gave me some saffron for some holiday long ago and I still have about half of it left. I think that it is the stamens (or pistils) of some flower or other; I don't remember which one.
That reminds me, I need to get some fresh curry!!
Your kitchen looks neat, clean, and well organized. Why take extra steps you don't have to, especially if one's knees aren't so great?
Naively, how do you learn about the weekly theme? I've been at this for years and never figured out how to join the theme club!
its so neat! and i like the colours
our kitchen is small
and overwhelmed at the moment with a mountain of dirty laundry...
Dear Barbara,
Please see the comment in this section from Coffee Messiah and visit Coffee's Blog. It is posted there for Wednesday of last week and there is also a sidebar saying that the theme for next week will be posted on Sunday.
PS: The service and ceremony were beautiful!
Lettuce: Welcome Back! Sorry about the piles of laundry...Whenever I have piles, I put on some fun music, wash, do bills or write while I am waiting for the loads to finish...I hope you can enjoy the weekend.
To my Readers:
I hope you are all well and enjoying the weekend. I've had an exhausting week and need a bit of down time, so will be away from the Blog and all things non-essential for a day or so.
Until Next Time-
yes, downtime is good. Nice and very tidy kitchen, e. i think i could get my thoughts together in there.
Thanks, Tut-Tut! Are you participating in the bloggers silent poetry reading?
Until Next Time...
Dear e,
You piqued my cutiosity (again!) with the mention of this being the largest of your kitchens. Where, if I may pry so bluntly, were you that the kitchens were smaller?
Since I'm starting at the beginning and you may have written about your kitchens elsewhere, please feel free to refer me to another post.
Alternatively, my email is at the bottom of my profile.
Post a Comment