Saturday, January 24, 2009

Seahorse Art


Photo taken by E, the owner of this Blog
September, 2008.
As we were passing by a storefront, my friend and I spotted this unique and colorful sea horse. I regret that I did not get a better shot of this one.
Click to enlarge and get a better look at the colors and texture...
Did you know that the male seahorse gets pregnant and gives birth?
For more fascinating facts, visit http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/seahorse/
This is the website for a PBS program devoted to seahorses that originally aired in 1997.

10 comments:

tut-tut said...

A nice, bright start to my day, e!

Avid Reader said...

Nice. The sea horse has long been a favorite--an interesting symbol.

Mike the Waiter said...

seahorses are certainly beautiful. Unfortunately, they rely on coral reefs as a habitat and will soon be gone, along with those reefs. Man has become a little too "successful" a species!
say a little prayer.
mTw

e said...

Greetings Mike!

I think it will take a lot more than prayers to preserve seahorses and other endangered species. We humans have certainly left a huge footprint on this planet. If you're interested, check out http://marinebio.org/ a non-profit staffed with marine biologists and others interested in sea life and ocean conservation. Thanks for your visit to my Blog!

Coffee Messiah said...

The state of the World is so fragile, and I'm sure the after affects of all things "war" do not help either ; (

Barbara said...

I love seahorses, with all their peculiarities. I once went to an interesting exhibit at the Baltimore Aquarium which featured more varieties of seahorses than I ever knew existed.

goatman said...

What could have they possibly have been selling at this establishment?
Perhaps salt-water acquaria??

e said...

Hi All,

To answer Goatman's question, the area we were in contains a lot of junk shops, antique stores, artist supplies, etc, so there's really no telling...

I'm glad you all enjoyed the photo; the colors really caught my eye, and I hope you take a minute or two to learn about endangered ocean life at marinebio.org if interested. I have another busy week, so may not Blog again til the weekend.

Until next time

MFH said...

Dear e,

Could you tell what it was made of?

e said...

Dear MFH, sadly no.