Photo taken by E, September, 2008.This was taken the same day I found and photographed the seahorse in my previous post. Water seems to be a recurring theme in my life as I have always lived geographically close to it. I enjoy its many forms, whether white-capped in a roiling storm, choppy on a cloudy day or serene and almost meditative, as it is here.
As I noted in comments to a reader when she inquired how I was able to recollect the decorative doorway I had photographed during a particularly grueling physical therapy session, scenes such as this often come to mind if I can get into the meditative state that helps me focus on something other than the pain that ensues from therapy as well as sometimes simply living.
Apart from that, I also enjoy finding things that tantalize the eye as well as the mind and spirit, and while I make no claims about being a good photographer, it is interesting to experiment. Another intriquing element of any visual medium is the viewer; what I see and how I see it may not be what another notices at all.
Until Next Time...
11 comments:
hmm lovely claming meditative scene indeed - i can feel and smell and imagine.thanks
Yes I could meditate to this photograph.
The water, mountains, or a thick snow are always helpful to me. Flat places don't inspire me much, although I can appreciate the idea of vast meadows.
it's beautiful! thanks for explaining that link between the doorway and the PT session!
I'm glad you are able to muster up the serene during times of pain. Meditation is such a powerful, hmm, tool (not the word I want).
Dearest e,
what a soothing, tranquil view. and i love the seahorse posted before this photo. as creative an eye as you are with words, ms. e! however, that does not surprise me.
i've also stopped by to let you know i've pondered the meaning of doors - prompted by your door post, and I experienced one of those a-ha moments. you helped me to unravel a dream mystery.
so my heartfelt thanks to you, e.
after decades,
'now i see.'
xoxo
rdm
You live in a place of many sticks sticking into the sky.
Sailboats? I have often wondered how easy it would be to organize a sailboat through the water . . perhaps some day.
Nice shot
Seahorses are really weird, aren't they? Shouldn't there be a sign of the zodiac that corresponds? I think so.
I realize this comment belongs on your last post. Do love the meditative scene and sea water in general. We humans are mostly seawater, plus some minerals and a couple of other things. Mostly though ... we are saline.
My favorite brain book so far is The Feeling of What Happens by Antonio Damasio - a book about the neurology of consciousness. It's so interesting.
I like the water as well, and this from the first paragraph of Moby Dick...
"Some years ago - never mind how long precisely - having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen, and regulating the circulation. Whenever I find myself growing grim about the mouth; whenever it is a damp, drizzly November in my soul; whenever I find myself involuntarily pausing before coffin warehouses, and bringing up the rear of every funeral I meet; and especially whenever my hypos get such an upper hand of me, that it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off - then, I account it high time to get to sea as soon as I can. This is my substitute for pistol and ball. With a philosophical flourish Cato throws himself upon his sword; I quietly take to the ship. There is nothing surprising in this. If they but knew it, almost all men in their degree, some time or other, cherish very nearly the same feelings towards the ocean with me."
Dear Val, Avid, RDM, Karen and Tut,
Being able to meditate and have tranquility in the face of life is wonderful. It makes one feel better and does wonders for the blood pressure, stress reduction and one's general outlook. Additionally, if I am not mistaken, it may help with endorphins, which produce calm. I should have better explained the link between PT, meditation and the door in my previous posting, but my mind and other things get a head of me sometimes and I did not find the error until I looked at the post later, so explanined in my comments.
I do not get to the ocean as much as I would like since one must drive there from where I live, and sadly, this is my last picture from the September outing. I am glad all of you enjoyed it.
I am glad it illuminated things for RDM as well.
Goatman, Nice to see you again and yes, depending upon the day, you can see people out sailing or with their sticks in the sky, although not in my immediate neighborhood.
Reya, I have been fascinated with sea and other life since I lived in the tropics and had access to both beach and rain forest. A friend tried to raise seahorses in a salt water tank and that was the genesis of an elementary school report that I did. Thanks for the heads up on your current reading; I too enjoy learning about the brain.
Bulletholes,
I feel truly honored that you find my photo worthy of Moby Dick! Thanks!
Until Next Time!
Very insightful to note that people see things differently. In fact I think that is the mark of a great photograph -- one that begs scrutiny and interpretation. I am immediately drawn to the water in this photo.
BTW, for a new Blogger, you have quite a following. Kudos!
Thanks to you!!!
Post a Comment